Big Interview

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Interview

Alright guys and gals i need some help here

for the past year I've been working full time for a small Basic Life Support service south of Rochester.

i recently got invited to test and interview with one of the biggest BLS services up in the twin cities. this job would fast track me to paramedic and pay for all my schooling. the testing and practical part is next Wednesday. I emailed the gal whose in charge of testing and hiring about what to wear for the testing. she replied "what ever you feel is appropriate"

WTF? does anyone know what this means? since i'll be doing practicals i feel i should wear my uniform (BDUs) on the other hand its an interview so i feel i should wear my Sundays best.

any help on what i should be wearing would be greatly appriciated. this job is the break i've been waiting for and i cant screw it up.

thanks in advance

Old 04-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad always told me to go to the place looking like I was going to be working there. For instance - going to McDonald's, wear some khaki pants and a polo. Going to Dillards, wear some dress slacks with a button-up and a tie.

I'd think your BDUs would be the right thing.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by attworth

I'd think your BDUs would be the right thing.

x2 - I think that would be your best bet. Make sure to arrive early and bring with you anything extra you may need (paper, pencils, etc?).

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM
alright well now i need to find a shirt that doesnt have my service all over it haha i got everything els together, all my certifications, licenses, etc

Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 PM
no were not that big of a service. uniform consists of dark navy pants with reflective patching and white coller shirt.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I would say wear yoru BDU's but instead of having the gear on you, have it in your fast pack (thats what I call it, but you know just a duffle bag that all your EMT stuff is in). then if in the practicals you could quickly load up.... Thats probably what i would do anyway.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Good luck, I hope it works out for you

Old 04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
"what ever you feel is appropriate"-- That sounds like an answer some petty low level manager wanna be would give to a perspective applicant. She knows what's appropriate, but instead of giving a sincere answer, she'd rather have you uncomfortably guessing.

This is a job you want but you will be less nervous and perform better if you don't get too emotionally invested until you get an offer.

As for attire you usually want to be slightly better dressed than than the job calls for as you are trying to impress upon them that you are a serious and conscientious candidate.

(Obviously there are many professional jobs that you wear a suit or sportcoat and tie to no matter how casual the actual work atmosphere might be as it is expected for the interview.)

Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
BDU's are battle dress uniforms... commonly referred to with camouflage the military wore pre Digital patterns.

WTF are BDU's for Medics?

----

Sounds like she told you something that would make you guess. What you wear lets her know what type of person you are.

I doubt if you wore your Medic gear it would impact your interview. I personally think it would show eagerness... you want the job.. your ready to work.

Not to be an a-hole, but a medic job is a job where you need a suite and tie. So why go there with one?

I wouldnt go to McDonalds interview in nothing but a t shirt and jeans. Its Mcdonalds. They arent hiring you for your brains or skills.... C'mon

Old 04-19-2008, 12:13 AM
To hell with the guess work, do a little recon and see what other candidates are wearing to thier interviews. Or just walk up to someone who works there introduce yourself and ask how they dressed for the interview/practical.
Good luck with the interview!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM
At the very minimum, slacks and a button up shirt.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM
alright i talked to a medic that works for a competing service and he said go ahead and do the slacks button up and tie. i have a fresh set of BDUs in my jump kit in i really need them. but to tell ya the truth i'd roll around in cow **** wearing a brand new suit to get this job.

BDUs for medics are usually dark blue pants with reflective stripes, and what ever your service shirt is. i have no idea where they got BDUs but thats what i've been taught to call em. i never knew thats what BDU stood for tho

so it looks like now i've got a **** load of studying to do and then i hafto go practice airway practicals. ill let you guys know how the interview/testing goes. thanks for all the advice!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
alright i talked to a medic that works for a competing service and he said go ahead and do the slacks button up and tie. i have a fresh set of BDUs in my jump kit in i really need them. but to tell ya the truth i'd roll around in cow **** wearing a brand new suit to get this job.

BDUs for medics are usually dark blue pants with reflective stripes, and what ever your service shirt is. i have no idea where they got BDUs but thats what i've been taught to call em. i never knew thats what BDU stood for tho

so it looks like now i've got a **** load of studying to do and then i hafto go practice airway practicals. ill let you guys know how the interview/testing goes. thanks for all the advice!
First off, congrats on the interview, asking questions is a step in the right direction.

I have been involved in Fire/EMS for over 12 years. I have worked as an EMT, Paramedic, Flight Paramedic and finally, Firefighter/Paramedic, so you can see I have a little experience with interviews.

My first piece of advice for you, disregard everything ordnance corps said. No dissrespect bro, but what you said couldnt be further from the truth.

Wherever you interview, McDonalds, for the service you want to work for, or FDNY, you should arrive early, prepared and well dressed. THIS is what shows that you have the ambition for the job, not that you already own an EMS uniform, anybody can buy that....

EMS is all about customer service, especially if this service does non-emergency work. But if they dont, you are still expected to treat patients as customers and give them the best service they deserve.

For your interview, here is my advice. Wear a suit and tie, if you really do not want to wear this, at the VERY least wear khaki pants, nice shoes and a button down shirt. You can still preform your job inthe attire and you will look your best.

Have several copies of your resume to hand out to people that conduct your interview. This will also show that you are prepared and want the job.

Personal hygeine is your friend. Be neat and clean, dont wear over powering cologne.

Lastly, arrive EARLY! Make sure you know where you are going, parking, etc... Consider traffic, weather, detours...arrive late, and kiss the job good bye.

Best of luck, keep us posted, if you have any other questions...ask!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I think what you said is right on and good advice. Even if someone is applying at McDonalds they should wear a nice button down White shirt. It will make a positive impression and get the applicant off on the right start. I think a suit, for an EMT job, is a bit much though. Better to just go with a conservative sport coat/blazer.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Congrulations and good luck!

When I'm interviewing someone The first thing I notice is the what they're wearing. kahkis and button down and nice shoes for a job in a blue color workforce.

Quick Reply: Big Interview