Men accused of siphoning gas from vehicles tazered

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Men accused of siphoning gas from vehicles tazered

Got your Locking Fuel Cap Yet?

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/16/08

With gas prices approaching $4 a gallon, this may become popular — siphoning.

On Tuesday, Marietta police arrested three men who allegedly used a gas can and a garden hose to siphon gasoline from a Mercury Marquis, a Jeep Liberty, a Ford Explorer and a GMC Sonoma. They also used the tools to suck gas from a Pontiac and Buick, according a police incident report.

"This is probably a trend you will see in the near future, as gas prices go up," said Officer Mark Bishop, a police spokesman. "They were stealing from several cars in the same complex, probably for their own use or possibly to sell."

Police arrested Ted K. Mbaya of Dallas, and Kevin M. Gitonga and George Mwangi, both of Marietta. Mbaya and Gitonga, both 20, told police they were students.

All three ran when officers approached them in the parking lot of the Silvercreek apartments at 1776 Roswell Road.

Two of the suspects, Mwangi, 19, and Gitonga were shot with Tasers.

Mwangi was hit with Taser prongs twice. The first time only one prong stuck to Mwangi, who kept running. The second time, the two prongs hit their target. Mwangi "was apprehended with no injuries," according to the incident report.

The men were each charged with felony obstruction and misdemeanor theft by taking.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...phon_0417.html

Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
happened to my aunt and uncle but who ever was doing it only took a gallon or two here and there so they didnt notice right away. but needless to say they have there locking caps know. u would think with all the technology today there would b a better way to stop siphoning

Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know for sure but I thought the F150 had some sort of anti-siphon mechanism to prevent this? If not my 30 gallon tank of gas is a pretty large target.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Does anyone know for sure but I thought the F150 had some sort of anti-siphon mechanism to prevent this? If not my 30 gallon tank of gas is a pretty large target.
I was wondering the exact same thing.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Quote from Quintin:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ghlight=siphon

Originally Posted by Quintin
There's a flapper valve in the filler neck who's primary purpose is to prevent fuel from running out the filler neck in the event the truck goes shiny side down; this valve also obstructs the filler neck, preventing any hoses from going down into the tank.

Of course, then there's always the jackasses that think it's funny to dump sugar, water, whatever into someone's fuel tank...

Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
It works. I had a 2001 I tried to get gas out of for a generator and all I could get was fumes and the tank was nearly full.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tasering guys that are covered in gas they just stole, wouldn't it be faster to just set them on fire?

Last edited by grizzstang; 04-17-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by grizzstang
Tasering guys that are covered in gas they just stole, wouldn't it be faster to just set them on fire?
I had the same thought... I was hoping for pictures of guys running around on fire with the taser wires hanging from them...

Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Never bought into locking gas caps because if they really want your gas, it's just a hole in the tank away...

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Never bought into locking gas caps because if they really want your gas, it's just a hole in the tank away...

Adrianspeeder
Locks, alarms and dogs do deter most thieves because there is always an easier target and most thieves are lazy...
This is how carjacking came to be.

Quick Reply: Men accused of siphoning gas from vehicles tazered