Crysler to make full size truck for Nissan to replace Titan Half-Ton!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crysler to make full size truck for Nissan to replace Titan Half-Ton!

If you go to www.pickuptruck.com looks like Chrysler will make a full size Half-Ton truck to replace the Nissan Titan!........Interesting!......

Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thaught Nissan and GM slept together once in a while, hum, maybe they share parts suppliers and such. That Carlos guy is pimpin Nissan around aint he. Actually it was the Quest minivan that Ford built in OH once upon a time when it looked like the Merc Villager. Oh well, good for the UAW workers I suppose, more product is better than none.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 04-15-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I'd heard this was rumored, because Nissan and Chrysler were getting in bed together. I think it'd be a decent marriage.

Chrysler has been building trucks longer, and Nissan builds rock solid engines.

Everyone's in bed now.

The Hyundai Verracruz, Ford Edge, and Mazda CX-9 all have the same Aisin 6-speed transmission, Honda makes (made) engines that GM puts in their Saturn SUV's. GM and Toyota were in bed for a while (Toyota Corolla & Geo Prism, and still are, Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix).

Nissan and Ford were in bed for a while (Mercury Villager / Nissan Quest)

Yeah, Carlos Ghosn is a pimp, but he brought Nissan back from the brink. He's a smart, business savvy pimp.
I think he's premature on his consideration of hackign the Titan (if he does) right out the gate. I think they shoudl at least look at what they did right, what they did wrong, apply lessons learned, and do a 2nd generation with improvements. Then, if that fails- bail.

I tell ya, with gas getting near $4.00/gallon- if they could develop a 4 cylinder full size truck, that could tow 10,000 lbs, and get 25 MPG, that would be a hit.

Last edited by Bighersh; 04-15-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought Nissan was owned by Pugeot?.........

Old 04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I thought Nissan was owned by Pugeot?.........
Nissan entered an alliance with Renault, not Peugeot.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Chrysler was the first of the big 3 to reach out to Japanese automakers and share tech. Remember the Mitsubishi Bridge? They actually sold rebadged Mitsubishi's with slight body differences. They have a 30+ year history of tag teaming with foreign brands and sharing tech.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
They still do...

Just when you thought the (current generation) Dodge Dakota was the ugliest truck on the market, in comes the Mitsubishi Raider (Same truck).

Say what you want about the Titan and Tundra's aesthetics, they are both drop dead gorgeous next to a Mitsubishi Raider.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Graphics Contributor
There is nothing visually unpleasing about the titan. Its one of the best looking trucks on the road, but it has other downfaults. A titan would look immaculate in 2-door. There is nothing that can save the way a tundra looks.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Dodge becan its overseas love affair back when it was facing bankruptcy for the first time. Since then, they have been bought and sold a few times and continue to reach out for what they can get.

They aren't the only guilty party however, the Japanese companies are looking for resources here in the U.S. to launch from (mainly factories, workers, etc...) and the American companies are in need of some engineering and designing resources brought in by the Japanese (and other countries as well).

Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
There is nothing visually unpleasing about the titan. Its one of the best looking trucks on the road, but it has other downfaults. A titan would look immaculate in 2-door. There is nothing that can save the way a tundra looks.

I agree that the Titan is a nice looking truck, and is one of the torquiest 1/2 ton V8s. Props on that.

As for the Tundra? I think a Saw-zall, a Mig welder and some parts off of an F150 could make it better.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tornadom
As for the Tundra? I think a Saw-zall, a Mig welder and some parts off of an F150 could make it better.
A sledgehammer would be both cheaper and easier. The thing looks like it is inspired by a potato, just looks gross IMO.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Now that you mention it, isn't Toyota claiming to be the "meat and potatoes" of 1/2 tons? They got the potato part as you mentioned.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Suspended
Hersh in many ways I agree with you, but I do disagree about giving it another go. Ford sells more Ranger every month than Nissan sells Titans. To invest the money in making the improvements needed and to fund the advertising would be very very rusky considering that track record of the Titan. Fact is it simply doesnt sell enough to warrant the cash it would take when Nissan is still hurting.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
What does Chrysler and Nissan really have to lose? Seeing Chrysler doesn't even make a truck, ( well Dodge ) and let's look and see how the Titan isn't selling like hotcakes. ( neither is the Ram )

Combined the 2 hardly match the "Big 3". ( Ford, General Motors, Toyota )

Quick Reply: Crysler to make full size truck for Nissan to replace Titan Half-Ton!