Honda (or other) "Dual Purpose" Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda (or other) "Dual Purpose" Motorcycle

Hi all,

I am looking to get a "Dual Purpose" bike.....I used to call them "Enduros", but I guess that reflects my age.....

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has one and can give me some pointers as far as what to look for on each particular make.

I have my eye set on the Honda XR650L.....I love to ride in the trails/dirt, although it has been some time. I last owned a Suzuki DR650......nice bike, but damn it was a kick start and it would kick the crap out of you unless you got it first try........

BTW, for those that have a bike already....will the beast fit in the bed without any problems? I have the 5.5' bed, but nothing inside of it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a suzuki drz400e. i love it, it has electric start. the street legal version is the drz400s or the super moto drz400sm. Not as good of a highway bike as the 650, but IMO better for short trips and on the trail.

the last few weeks i have been going to mx tracks and the bike does just fine, i have jumped quite a few doubles.

check out http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/
great website check out the suzuki section and the honda section, people shoot staight and will tell you what will work best for you.

i think the most important thing to do is figure out what kind of rinding you want to do. also if you have friends with bikes, find out what kind of riding they do. riding is alway more fun with friends.

Last edited by BROTHERDAVE; 04-07-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I had a 2003 XR650L and loved it. Sold it in 05 and still kick myself over it all the time. I had my HD for sale and a guy came to look at it and ended up offering me almost what I had paid new for the Honda. Needless to say, I sold it and I regret it. I don't even look at the new one's as I would probably end up with another one. I too have had several enduro's in my time and this was by far the fastest, most comfortable riding one I had. Had to be careful with it because it would easily tote the front tire, even being 6-4 and 250...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
I have a suzuki drz400e. i love it, it has electric start. the street legal version is the drz400s or the super moto drz400sm. Not as good of a highway bike as the 650, but IMO better for short trips and on the trail.

the last few weeks i have been going to mx tracks and the bike does just fine, i have jumped quite a few doubles.

check out http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/
great website check out the suzuki section and the honda section, people shoot staight and will tell you what will work best for you.

i think the most important thing to do is figure out what kind of rinding you want to do. also if you have friends with bikes, find out what kind of riding they do. riding is alway more fun with friends.
Thanks brotherdave for the web site......and the info.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by harleyrider
I had a 2003 XR650L and loved it. Sold it in 05 and still kick myself over it all the time. I had my HD for sale and a guy came to look at it and ended up offering me almost what I had paid new for the Honda. Needless to say, I sold it and I regret it. I don't even look at the new one's as I would probably end up with another one. I too have had several enduro's in my time and this was by far the fastest, most comfortable riding one I had. Had to be careful with it because it would easily tote the front tire, even being 6-4 and 250...
I found myself looking at them on eBay....a Honda dealer had a 2007 model for $4895....I almost did it, but I'd rather do the purchase in person.

But I'm gonna get one.....I take it you didn't have any problems with the Honda? I don't know why I am picking Honda.....but we will see.

Thanks for the response.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Honda IBCOP. I've had one for almost three years now and love it. Pics of it are in my sig and gallery. It is a great all around bulletproof bike. I take mine out to the Big Bend area of Texas and its a blast. You can go down some pretty knarly trails on it and then get out on the open road and cruise at 65-70 just fine. My one suggestion is to change the front sprocket from a 15 tooth to a 14 tooth and it will be much better on the slow trails. Honda gears them way too tall stock and you lose no top end with this change. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
let me stress the point again, figure out what you want to do.

from what i have read the honda is great for cruising and baja type terrain.
if tight trails and short runs is what you are after it might not be the best.
it also depends on how hard you plan to ride.

about the only thing i have negative to say about the 650L is that it is a 350 pound bike. i dont know your size but i am 5'10, 250 and when i have to pick-up my 400e it is heavy (i am guessing around 275).
i have heard that the 650L and the 650r are totally different beast.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
You mean one of these?

Here is my XR650L.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

XR650L = Factory street legal, heavy, rides better on the street, good power, air cooled, bulletproof, Fun power, ELECTRIC START

XR650R = Factory dirt bike, can be made street legal with addition of lights etc..., Some states harder than others (CA is the worst), Kick start (Can buy E-start aftermarket but is pricey) Water cooled, More power, More power, More power, Lighter, bulletproof - Did I say more power?

The XR650L is no dog in the power dept but no comparison to the XR650R. They are two different beasts and designed for different applications.

Decision would have to be made on your skill and use. XR650L would be closer to your DR but better ion the dirt with E-start. If you plan on mostly dirt or desert and have the $$ to make street legal and add estart maybe the "R". Gather information and make a decision on YOUR intended use. You will have tons of people telling you what they would do but only you will live with the decision.

Thumpertalk is a great site and there is tons of great info and people willing to help. If I can help shoot me a PM.

Oh ya have fun and welcome back to the "Enduro". My first Enduro was a XL185s in 1985.

P.S. I have heard about and seen the DRZ. They are great bikes as well. They are bulletproof and lighter but I have always been a Honda guy.

Last edited by bangingd; 04-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
let me stress the point again, figure out what you want to do.

from what i have read the honda is great for cruising and baja type terrain.
if tight trails and short runs is what you are after it might not be the best.
it also depends on how hard you plan to ride.

about the only thing i have negative to say about the 650L is that it is a 350 pound bike. i dont know your size but i am 5'10, 250 and when i have to pick-up my 400e it is heavy (i am guessing around 275).
i have heard that the 650L and the 650r are totally different beast.
I can tell you I probably won't ride it everyday, but when I want to jump out and hit the trail, I want to do so......I won't be hard on the bike, but also want something to perform on the side....rides well, not too hard, etc.

Damn, 350 pounds.....That's double my weight!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by bangingd
Here is my XR650L.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

XR650L = Factory street legal, heavy, rides better on the street, good power, air cooled, bulletproof, Fun power, ELECTRIC START

XR650R = Factory dirt bike, can be made street legal with addition of lights etc..., Some states harder than others (CA is the worst), Kick start (Can buy E-start aftermarket but is pricey) Water cooled, More power, More power, More power, Lighter, bulletproof - Did I say more power?

The XR650L is no dog in the power dept but no comparison to the XR650R. They are two different beasts and designed for different applications.

Decision would have to be made on your skill and use. XR650L would be closer to your DR but better ion the dirt with E-start. If you plan on mostly dirt or desert and have the $$ to make street legal and add estart maybe the "R". Gather information and make a decision on YOUR intended use. You will have tons of people telling you what they would do but only you will live with the decision.

Thumpertalk is a great site and there is tons of great info and people willing to help. If I can help shoot me a PM.

Oh ya have fun and welcome back to the "Enduro". My first Enduro was a XL185s in 1985.

P.S. I have heard about and seen the DRZ. They are great bikes as well. They are bulletproof and lighter but I have always been a Honda guy.
I think the "L" will better for me....at least for now.....I don't wanna have to start adding stuff right away to be able to ride on the street - at least legally! My first Enduro was a Yamaha 125....that beyatch could take a beating......and it's been at least 10 years since I had my own bike....I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew!

I really appreciate the info....your pics have me ready to buy today, but I must wait until I am back in the States.....

Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
Get the Honda IBCOP. I've had one for almost three years now and love it. Pics of it are in my sig and gallery. It is a great all around bulletproof bike. I take mine out to the Big Bend area of Texas and its a blast. You can go down some pretty knarly trails on it and then get out on the open road and cruise at 65-70 just fine. My one suggestion is to change the front sprocket from a 15 tooth to a 14 tooth and it will be much better on the slow trails. Honda gears them way too tall stock and you lose no top end with this change. Good luck!
Thanks for the info on the sprocket....your bike looks awesome.....I need to get my hands on one....

Does the bike fit in your bed without any trouble (I don't have the bed extender)? And you converted the XR to be street legal?

Last edited by ibcop; 04-08-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
You will need to travel with tailgate down with shortbed. on the 14 tooth sprocket. I am running also running 48 on the rear fo ra little more umph down low.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE][I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew!
/QUOTE]

i hadent ridden in 19 years! got the bike in late january and am ready to get some modes to make it faster

Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
nobody mentioned the KLR650 ?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by beckerjs
nobody mentioned the KLR650 ?
That's what I was thinkin... I think they're good bikes.

Quick Reply: Honda (or other) "Dual Purpose" Motorcycle