More Power????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To qoute Dennis Leary

Originally Posted by Shinesintx
I like the Gov. Spitzer methodology... The US public should drive small hybrids to conserve gas and save the planet... I want to waste water, drive gas guzzlers, eat nearly extinct animals, wear baby seal clothing that have been clubbed and studded with blood diamonds...Oh yeah, and adopt a 16 year old Asian girl to clean the house and do my wifes nails. Hows that?
You really are an A$$hole man.......
Just kidding. I thought it was funny as hell! LMAO!

I don't know if you have heard the song but Dennis does this rant

You know what I'm gonna do?
I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadilac El Dorado Convertable
Hot pink!
With whale skin hub caps
An all leather cow interior
And big brown baby seal eyes for headlights
YEAH!
And I'm gonna drive around in that baby
At 115 miles per hour
Getting one mile per gallon
Sucking down Quarter Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonalds in the old-fashioned non-biodegradable Styrofoam containers
And when I'm done sucking down those grease-ball burgers
I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag
And then I'm gonna toss the Styrofoam containers right out the side
And there ain't a Goddamn thing anybody can do about it
You know why?
'Cause we got the bombs, that's why!
Two words: Nuclear F**kin' Weapons
Okay!?
Russia, Germany, Romania
They can have all the Democracy they want
They can have a big Democracy cake walk
Right through the middle of Tienemen Square
And it won't make a lick of difference
Because we got the bombs
Okay!?
John Wayne's not dead
He's frozen!
And as soon as we find a cure for cancer We're gonna thaw out "The Duke"
And he's gonna be pretty pissed off
You know why?
Have you ever taken a cold shower?
Well, multiply that by 15 million times
That's how pissed off "The Duke"'s gonna be
I'm gonna get "The Duke"
And John Cassavetes
And Lee Marvin
And Sam Peckinpah
And a case of whiskey
And drive down to Texas
And-.......

Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by J-150
that must have been really tough to admit publically
nah I have really big *****

Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
This could be sig worthy!
I never thought about that...Go ahead. It will make me look like a piece of chit....but hey, I think most will understand

Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by dkstone05
nah I have really big *****

Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
i have to disagree, safety is not about strength, it is more about design and making a vehicle that bends and breaks at the right places to protect the driver. indy cars can hit a wall at 150 and the driver walks away, try that in an f150.

as for repair cost, this is only a factor if you have alot of accidents and if you dont have insurance. i have a hard time believing repair cost on f150 is any lower than say a mustang.
i backed in to my 1996 ford taurus about a year ago. i did $1,800 damage to my taurus. it did not do anything to my truck.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i backed in to my 1996 ford taurus about a year ago. i did $1,800 damage to my taurus. it did not do anything to my truck.
all the more proving my point. you have a 2001 truck, the pre 04 trucks are 400 to 500 pounds lighter, yet you are happy.

having a steel back bumper dosent hurt either.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
And..............

Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
all the more proving my point. you have a 2001 truck, the pre 04 trucks are 400 to 500 pounds lighter, yet you are happy.

having a steel back bumper dosent hurt either.
Cattle Gaurd
Brush Gaurd
Step rails
Fuel Cell
Running Lights
KC Lights (at least 12)
33"s (minimum)
4" Lift
.45 Auto
Lots of bullets (the indians could attack at any time)
Don't forget the gun rack

Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
From the engine forum

I copied this from the engine forum to keep enryone up to speed on the feedback here.

Chill Truck Brother.....
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by F150TTU
Really? SO you are accusing, and, have proven that these guys have a direct link to funding terrorism? Or is this just an ignorant blanket statement from someone like you, and others, who have no clue as to what they are talking about?

Give me one design equation for that? DO you have any clue as to how complex this can be? You mention people actually discussing these ideas? Ok well, lets go for it. Whats your take on drag coefficient? What designs have you come up with? Have you taken fluid dynamics, or even thermodynamics, or, are you just running your mouth, again?

People don't want to come here and talk about advanced engineering design equations. They want to talk about fuel saving or getting more HP if possible. They are enthusiasts talking about enthusiast things. This is an enthusiast website, what did you really expect? It took you 456 posts to realize this? Too much smoke in your brain?

Basically, you can back absolutely none of this b.s. up with any facts pertaining to honest, hard-working Americans supporting terrorism. I find it extremely insulting that you would say this.
You mentioned above that people are here to talk about horsepower and fuel savings..........two things that become easier to achieve by way of reducing drag. Reducing drag does not involve redesigning the internal combustion engine, integrating hybrid systems or anything of the like.

As a matter of fact, yes I did study thermodynamics in school.
I did take an introductory course on fluid dynamics recently and one of the things that fascinated me was the amount of an engines power that is used to overcome drag. I think I have a legitimate argument in that the vehicles we drive could be better designed aerodynamically, however it may not be as aesthetically appealing. Like wise I think we have a responsibility to be good stewards of our resources, especially if we elect to use something that can be substantially less efficient (trucks).
All of us are here because we really enjoy our vehicles whether it be work or play. I think we like to be up a little higher on the road and see what is going around.
I do believe that oil consumption is a contributing factor to terrorism in that because it is in such demand, it warrants a higher price. I would be pretty pissed off if you set up camp in my back yard with out invitation because you need to secure your finite resources of which you have a horrible addiction to. I am not insulting Americans, I am insulting corporate America for creating such a horrible mentality.

To create a discourse on drag, we should define it for the rest of the ignorant masses (as I believe you referred to them) wouldn't you agree?

Drag is a quality (dimensionless) that describes the amount of aerodynamic resistance caused by fluid flow. In an atmosphere (or medium), drag force is fairly proportionate to the square of the velocity (speed AND direction) of an object moving through the fluid. (equations may be furnished upon request)
The flow around the object (correct me if I am wrong) is referred to as a Reynolds number (anyone can Google that BTW), This number is actually a ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces. Reynolds numbers are prevalent when analyzing laminar and turbulent flows about an object. The parts of the equation are as follows (going from memory here so bear with me):

Force of drag (usually F)
Density of the medium being traveled through (p) Air is about 1.3kg/m3 at 1 atmosphere
Velocity (v)
Area of the object (a)
Drag coefficient of the object (C)

I may look like a dumba$$ here, but this is my attempt to show you the formula:

F= -1/2pv(sqd)CA (i couldn't figure out how to show v as being squared)

Keep in mind this does not show how we calculate the actual drag coefficient.

Can we design a truck to mimic the drag coefficients of say a SAAB or a Prius? Would it look goofy as hell?

In vehicles, by reducing the frontal area of the vehicle we can directly reduce drag. The average passenger car has a frontal area of about 8 to 8.5 sq', and trucks can exceed 25 sq'! Compare the end of a brick to the small side of an egg.
One drawback to reducing drag is that we have to be careful about the lift we generate (Bernoulli's principal).

I hope that in some form or fashion this answer has qualified my ability to have discourse on the subject. Should you be of like mindedness I invite you to continue this discussion with me in the "General Discussions" section of the forum.

Last edited by malexander52; 03-14-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Paratrooper
While we are on the fuel thread, what about all the aircraft flying all over the place or the cruise ships. If these venues were lessened, there would be much more fuel. I saw a documentary on cruise ships and when it was being fuelled, there were 3 tractor trailer fuellers standing by and it was just a top up...

One aircraft on take-off can burn more fuel than you can burn in a year in your truck. It makes me feel small with my little 'ol V-8..

There is talk that we will be paying up to $1.50 a litre (6.50/gal) this summer. My Bandit will be getting more riding time I guess....

I heard on the radio not too long ago tha 1/3 of all vehicle based emissions come from cargo ships.

so the more chinese crap we buy, the worse the environment will be (not to mention the fuel use)

Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
China and India

Keep in mind guys that the nations of China and India are fast becoming the largest consumer of resources on the planet, not too mention the largest contributors of green house gases. A large part in the price increase of oil is directly linked to the growing need for this fuel by these countries. China however is slowly moving from coal to nuclear power and I suspect India will do the same.
Another person made the point that jets,tankers and commercial vehicles use far more fuel in a week than a dingle driver may use in a decade!
Granted nuclear power has its ugly radioactive waste, however used intelligently it could lead to the development of better technologies like fusion and hydrogen.
A typical uranium fuel pellet costs about $10 and equals the energy of 3 barrells of oil ($300) or 1 ton of coal ($40).
Here is a dated study from Berkley University:
http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne1...a/sources.html

Old 03-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by malexander52
Keep in mind guys that the nations of China and India are fast becoming the largest consumer of resources on the planet, not too mention the largest contributors of green house gases. A large part in the price increase of oil is directly linked to the growing need for this fuel by these countries. China however is slowly moving from coal to nuclear power and I suspect India will do the same.
Another person made the point that jets,tankers and commercial vehicles use far more fuel in a week than a dingle driver may use in a decade!
Granted nuclear power has its ugly radioactive waste, however used intelligently it could lead to the development of better technologies like fusion and hydrogen.
A typical uranium fuel pellet costs about $10 and equals the energy of 3 barrells of oil ($300) or 1 ton of coal ($40).
Here is a dated study from Berkley University:
http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne1...a/sources.html
Yeah, China and India suck. It reminds me of an e-mail I recvieved some years ago of a sheik fueling his caprice in India at a shell station and the marquis showing the price at 25 Cents/gallon. Not to mention I think he was showing his middle finger to the camera.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Perfect example of supporting the wrong mentality

Originally Posted by TECHDOC
Yeah, China and India suck. It reminds me of an e-mail I recvieved some years ago of a sheik fueling his caprice in India at a shell station and the marquis showing the price at 25 Cents/gallon. Not to mention I think he was showing his middle finger to the camera.
That is another point I would like to make. All too often people forget who their hard earned dollars ultimately empower. That is a perfect example. Many people will say "use theirs first and then ours" and I come back with "Why use it at all?".
Those people across the pond are laughing at us all the way to the bank. I should say their "governments" are laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Let me pose this question, how likely are you to do business with someone (if you have a choice) that practices a philosophy that encourages your very demise?
So why do we choose to endorse the very companies that do this with the money that we give them?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Can someone translate, all I was getting out of that was

WHAA WHAA WHAA I don't know what I am talking about WHAA WHAA WHAA

Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Right....................

Originally Posted by Moltenice

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Moltenice

Hello liberal pinko...Malexander52 has started to make some very valid points, and the above is the best that you can do?

Quick Reply: More Power????