PC question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC question

I'm always getting thrown off the web and having to restart my computer(laptop). Now my wife never has any issues so I know its not the server and I recently had my wireless stuff checked out and it's o.k.(links system). I have Norton and I'm starting to wonder if that has something to do w/it. Usually I will get kicked off once, restart then I'm good to go most of the time. Yesterday and today I've had to restart several times. Did a disc de"***" and cleanup. Says drive c has 27% free space and d has 98% free space.

What's the problem here?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
I'm always getting thrown off the web and having to restart my computer(laptop). Now my wife never has any issues so I know its not the server and I recently had my wireless stuff checked out and it's o.k.(links system). I have Norton and I'm starting to wonder if that has something to do w/it. Usually I will get kicked off once, restart then I'm good to go most of the time. Yesterday and today I've had to restart several times. Did a disc de"***" and cleanup. Says drive c has 27% free space and d has 98% free space.

What's the problem here?

Thanks

Well when you're on the internet and this happens, when you go to another internet site does it say that the site Timed Out or are you getting some sort of error number?

Also it's disk defragmentation. It arranges the stuff on your hard drive so that the hard drives can find recorded information faster and easier, that shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. I'd blame it on the wireless since you have to restart to get it to work. When you restart it causes the wireless system to reset itself and get a new local IP and refresh everything. I know you said you checked it out but it's the number one cause on my list of problems from what you've said so far.

That's why I hate wireless, really unreliable at times. One way to check is to plug your laptop into the router with an ethernet cable and see if it does it then. If it doesn't crash, it's the wireless.

Also how old is the laptop, what brand and model, how much RAM and what's the CPU?
What router and modem do you have? What kind of internet do you have? Satelite, cable, DSL?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Arca_ex
Well when you're on the internet and this happens, when you go to another internet site does it say that the site Timed Out or are you getting some sort of error number?

Also it's disk defragmentation. It arranges the stuff on your hard drive so that the hard drives can find recorded information faster and easier, that shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. I'd blame it on the wireless since you have to restart to get it to work. When you restart it causes the wireless system to reset itself and get a new local IP and refresh everything. I know you said you checked it out but it's the number one cause on my list of problems from what you've said so far.

That's why I hate wireless, really unreliable at times. One way to check is to plug your laptop into the router with an ethernet cable and see if it does it then. If it doesn't crash, it's the wireless.

Also how old is the laptop, what brand and model, how much RAM and what's the CPU?
What router and modem do you have? What kind of internet do you have? Satelite, cable, DSL?
It's a 04 Vaio. I bought it in Feb 04. It crashed once and I ended up taking it to Comp USA and they fixed it for me. I also had them upgrade the memory to the max it can handle(according to them)1g. My router set up is the Linksystem and we have cable. The processor is the pentium4.

I 'll know right away when I'm going to loose my connection. Example: I could be typing this right now and hit submit and nothing happens. About a minute or two later I will get the screen that says "Cannot find server". Usually I would hit submit and it instantly post's it up and I continue.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Graphics Contributor
i hope none of our pcs need a disk de *** ment .

It could be your firewall. I remember for some reason once my firewall randomly blocked svchost.exe, and when the pc would start up it would connect to msn then nothing else would work because the firewall had started. Took me a while to realize it but i found it.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
i hope none of our pcs need a disk de *** ment .

It could be your firewall. I remember for some reason once my firewall randomly blocked svchost.exe, and when the pc would start up it would connect to msn then nothing else would work because the firewall had started. Took me a while to realize it but i found it.
If I log onto our server at work I have to turn the firewall off or the server will not recognize my certificate application. Other than that I usually do not mess w/it.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Graphics Contributor
well if your firewall has an application monitor you could go through it and tell us whatever EXEs or programs you have blocked.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by JBMX928
... you could go through it and tell us whatever EXEs or programs you have blocked.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM
This thread is a good example of why typing/spelling/grammar skills are important to have and use. Linksystem? De-***?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Blame it on Norton. Even if that's not it you'll have a good reason to get rid of it. I would use free AVG before putting Norton on a system.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by 02SuperCrew4X
This thread is a good example of why typing/spelling/grammar skills are important to have and use. Linksystem? De-***?
Sometimes when your not versed in a particular field but "dabble" in it, you try to make light of your knowledge in order to learn more. Ya' know what I mean?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Larry227
Blame it on Norton. Even if that's not it you'll have a good reason to get rid of it. I would use free AVG before putting Norton on a system.
Ya', I don't know. I do know that I'm rather annoyed by this situation

Old 02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
Sometimes when your not versed in a particular field but "dabble" in it, you try to make light of your knowledge in order to learn more. Ya' know what I mean?

Yup, that's me and computers.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Are any cordless phones or microwaves in use when this happens? They can interrupt your connection sometimes.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Larry227
Are any cordless phones or microwaves in use when this happens? They can interrupt your connection sometimes.
Uhh! I dun know!! I've never considered those type of things would have an ill effect.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Depends on the phone or microwave. I have a 2.4ghz phone and it will kill my laptop connection if it's used anywhere near it. It always recovers as soon as the phone is hung up. No need to ever reboot.
The microwave will too from time to time.

Quick Reply: PC question