Trailer needed but What brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this link out.

http://www.carmate-trailers.com/index.html

Carmate has been a long time client of mine and I have been to their plant numerous times (it's located in Leeper, PA). Great company and they take pride in their work.

They have an extensive dealer network and it looks like they have a few in NYC. Check it out.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
The Haulmark from the ebay link above looks like my best choice. I will have to have them order it which will take about 5 weeks b/c I want it in Brandywine. I figured that this color would better match my truck. if not brandywine than charcoal (dark Silver). What do you guys think. Here is the trailer specs

Specs

Vehicle Description

2009 Haulmark 6' X 12' Single Axle Enclosed V-Nose Trailer NEW

Get $150 rebate from Haulmark w/purchase!!! You pay $2625 and then Haulmark sends the rebate check in 3-4 weeks.

* Transport DLX Model w/Transport Package
* Indigo Blue, White, Champagne Beige, Brandywine or Cargo Green
* Also have two-tone for $2725
* 3500# Spring Suspension EZ Lube Axle
* Payload 1710# / Curbweight 1280# / GVW 2990#
* 2" Ball Hitch
* Rear Ramp Door - Spring Assist - Width 61" / Height 66"
* 15" White Spoke Wheels
* 32" Curbside Door
* 24" Aluminum Stoneguard
* 2 - 12 Volt Lights w/Switch
* Rear Stabilizer Jacks
* Interior Width - 69" / Height 72" from floor to ceiling / Length 12' plus 12" wedge
* Floor 3/4" Plywood / Walls - Lauan
* One Piece Aluminum Roof
* 16" O/C Crossmembers in Walls
* Aluminum Fenders
* Platform Height 17"
* 4 Way Std. Flat Plug
* BRAND NEW!! "2009"
* Can get rear swing out doors for $2425
* Call 740-262-0404 for details!!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 PM
How important is it for a 6x12 trailer to have vents whether top, side or both. I will be hauling atv's and motorcycles. Is this necessary?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 AM
That Haulmark looks nice. You can't beat the price. I'm going to see if I can "steal" a Featherlite. There is a Featherlite dealer in Newton, NJ that I'm going to check out. As for venting, I have read where it was recommended against a roof vent because leaks can eventually occur. What do the side vents do?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Rambo
That Haulmark looks nice. You can't beat the price. I'm going to see if I can "steal" a Featherlite. There is a Featherlite dealer in Newton, NJ that I'm going to check out. As for venting, I have read where it was recommended against a roof vent because leaks can eventually occur. What do the side vents do?
I guess they help with air circulation just like the top vent. I'm thinking about getting the side and the top. The sides are $30 a pair and the top is $50. I'm in NYC, so I will take a look at mapquest now to see where Newton is. Don't get me wrong I like Featherlite myself but for what I'm trying to do (which I dont do often) The Haulmark is more than nice. The Featherlites are expensive. I called a couple of dealers just to compare specs with the ebay link above and the ebay link has the same features or more as most of the dealers and they still beat the dealer prices. Purchasing from ebay (seller Hill equipment) is almost like factory direct oppose to going to a dealer.

There is a Haulmark dealer in Clover, NJ. I called him and he wanted like $500 more and I think he had like one or two less features.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Also here are some Trailer facts that you may want to consider b4 purchasing.

http://www.aerotrailers.com/facts.html

Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Even with the rebate, I think that price is a little steep by a few hundred bux. But maybe that's just the market around here.

Is this something you'll have to go pick up? When shopping around for my 1st enclosed trailer, I too, found all these "great" deals on the net/ebay but after figuring the cost to go pick them up and bring them back, it just wasn't worth it.

Here's my first one.

Current one.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Budha05STX
Even with the rebate, I think that price is a little steep by a few hundred bux. But maybe that's just the market around here.

Is this something you'll have to go pick up? When shopping around for my 1st enclosed trailer, I too, found all these "great" deals on the net/ebay but after figuring the cost to go pick them up and bring them back, it just wasn't worth it.

Here's my first one.

Current one.
You think that price is steep, wow! Here in NY if I call around the price is even steeper. Most places want like $3000 and up for the same trailer. With the rebate the trailer will be $2475. What's the name and size of your trailer and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? I'm still researching and I still need more help.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
You think that price is steep, wow! Here in NY if I call around the price is even steeper. Most places want like $3000 and up for the same trailer. With the rebate the trailer will be $2475. What's the name and size of your trailer and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? I'm still researching and I still need more help.
Cheyenne Classic - ALL steel, IMO, a lot better than those tinny riveted ones - for my needs anyway.

My single axle was a 6x10 w/ dbl rear doors and I paid $1,950 for it.

Again, made here in Tx and I think the only dealers are here in Tx. The 6x12 single axle w/ ramp door & side door go for about $2,250-2,300 around here. I've got about 6 places that carry that brand that are fairly close so going back & forth between them on price was doable.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
From my understanding the Aluminum trailers are better than steel due to rust in the coming years. I'm reading up on Cargo trailers now. They are very similar to Featherlite (the best trailer hands down) but not as pricey.

take a look

http://www.snoprotrailers.com/whygosnopro.asp

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
From my understanding the Aluminum trailers are better than steel due to rust in the coming years. I'm reading up on Cargo trailers now. They are very similar to Featherlite (the best trailer hands down) but not as pricey.

take a look

http://www.snoprotrailers.com/whygosnopro.asp
Again, for my needs, the all steel was a no-brainer....handsdown. Down here we don't have to worry about salted roads and stuff like that so rust isn't really that big of an issue for me. I had my Big Tex util. trailer for quite some time and put that sucker to good use and all I ever had to re-paint was the floor.

You going with a motorcycle trailer or a std enclosed trailer?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a motorcycle trailer now so I'm going with an enclosed one now. I don't have to worry about salt myself b/c I don't drive in the snow. My truck has never seen the snow. In this case should I have to worry about rust with the steel.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a motorcycle trailer now so I'm going with an enclosed one now. I don't have to worry about salt myself b/c I don't drive in the snow. My truck has never seen the snow. In this case should I have to worry about rust with the steel.
I meant, are you going with an enclosed motorcycle trailer - shorter height or a std height enclosed trailer?

Rust. I don't know what to tell ya. Because of the different areas/climates we're in I wouldn't want to tell you something that wouldn't work up there and I'm sure if you asked one of the salespersons at a dealer, they'll probably push you towards whatever they carry for obvious reasons.

One thing I will tell you is this: when I was out looking at dealers, I'd walk out to their shops and one thing that detered me from those big name brands was seeing the stacks and stacks of replacement roofs and fenders. Talking to the workers and hearing how many they repaired pushed me towards the heavier steel trailers. Granted alot of those were damaged due to abuse or carelessness but hey, I know I can be careless at times too.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Budha05STX
I meant, are you going with an enclosed motorcycle trailer - shorter height or a std height enclosed trailer?

Rust. I don't know what to tell ya. Because of the different areas/climates we're in I wouldn't want to tell you something that wouldn't work up there and I'm sure if you asked one of the salespersons at a dealer, they'll probably push you towards whatever they carry for obvious reasons.

One thing I will tell you is this: when I was out looking at dealers, I'd walk out to their shops and one thing that detered me from those big name brands was seeing the stacks and stacks of replacement roofs and fenders. Talking to the workers and hearing how many they repaired pushed me towards the heavier steel trailers. Granted alot of those were damaged due to abuse or carelessness but hey, I know I can be careless at times too.

Understandable. Well let me ask you this. What do you think about this trailer for towing quads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Understandable. Well let me ask you this. What do you think about this trailer for towing quads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123
That ain't too bad. I'm sure most trailers like that one will have the same std features, avail. options. Don't forget to factor in the cost of delivery (wether you pick it up or have it delivered) to the overall price. The few hundred you end up saving by buying it out of state could be burned up real fast in fuel costs. Just a thought.

If all you'll be towing is quads/sportbike, have you looked into the shorter (height) enclosed trailers? In theory they'll reduce the wind resistance and overall weight which could save you a little bit on fuel milage. That is, if you don't need the extra height.

Quick Reply: Trailer needed but What brand