Got one last bowhunt in before the end of the year...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got one last bowhunt in before the end of the year...

Well, it wasn't much of a hunt, these critters were pretty easy to get on. I managed to take down a 5-6 year old bull that is just shy of B&C. First shot was in the heart at 15 yards, and three minutes later I got a second shot at 26 yards through the lungs. Two more minutes of flopping around and he was done. Another hunter with a 30-06 shot a mature cow twice and it took her ten minutes to die, so the bow won out that day.

Weight on the hoof was around 1800 pounds and we took over 800 pounds into the butchers. I'm taking the cape and horns into the taxi later today to get mounted. We's gonna eat good this winter.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, I've never hunted before, but I have lots of friends who are hunters. I bet the adrenaline rush putting down one of those is plain awesome. Good kill.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:54 PM
The area that I took the bison in has a couple of rigs set up for handling them. They have a large crane like lift on the back of a truck and put downriggers down to keep the front end of the truck from lifting off the ground. They pulled up a leg to get the guts out, then hooked up the other leg on the same side to get him in the back of a truck. We took him to the place that had the smaller lift that you can see in the picture where we skinned and quartered him out.

Gave me a whole new respect for the native americans when they did this job on the ground and had to muscle around the parts.

B&C is short for Boone and Crockett.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Nice

- NCSU

Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Yea, it's just a scoring system. Boone and Crockett animals are the biggest of the big though, so it doesn't take anything away from him by not making the book. He clears Pope and Young by quite a ways, which is the records book for bowhunting. The other big records scoring system is SCI (Safari Club International), which is actually the only system that I could score this bull in because it was a privately owned ranch and not a true "wild animal" although they do roam freely there.

I've never been much into scoring the animals, and even the ones I have killed that qualified I did not enter. Just neat to see how they stack up in the books.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice buffalo, you will be chowin' on him for a while. I split this one with another guy and still had tons of meat.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:57 PM
nice!! Bison are quite an animal, and take take one with a bow is a large feet. Congrats!! post up some pics after you get him mounted!!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
The ranch was 119,000 acres, so it wasn't a penned up deal by any means, but these guys were in a couple hundred acre area. Not very sporting, but it is a harvest type hunt where you are guaranteed an animal.

Wookie, congrats on your bison, cool to see more people dropping these with bows.

I just got back from dropping him off at the taxi, but it'll probably be close to a year before I get him back. I've been giving this guy a good amount of work this year, so he's giving me a pretty good deal on the mount at least. Can't wait to get it back.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Awesome

Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I'm impressed! I doubt I'd be able to kill something that big and then having to watch him die. I'm not against hunting large game, just takes some *****!

Btw how is the house?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Congratulations!
That is one hell of an animal. It is hard to imagine we once had 60 Million of them roaming the country.

What draw weight and arrow/broadhead setup did you use?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Josiah, the house is coming along good. Finally getting some of the finish work that we put off all summer done. The sheetrockers are coming back in a week or so to do the final touch ups as well. Our tile guy left for the winter, so we have to wait to have the fireplace and some trim work done until he gets back. The guy has our tile prepared and in his storage, otherwise we'd get somebody else to do it.

Just started working more in the basement. We are going to hang some sheetrock this week or next and try to get the bulk of it done before winter is over.

JMB, I used a Mathews Switchback XT set at 65# @ 29" draw. The arrows were gold tip 75/95 with NAP thunderhead 3 blade broadheads. Penetration was not a problem, the first shot through the heart went out the other side, but the second shot hit a rib on the far side and stopped the arrow.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Thumbs up

05RoushMarkLT, please call me for your next hunt. If you do i'll have PSS give you some laptime. I envy you man, enjoy it, most hunters just dream about that kind of hunt. (me included). Oh and great shot placement...

Old 12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Next hunt will be a coastal brown bear hunt on Chichagof Island in mid May. I'll be taking the bow along, but my buddy will be backing me up with a 375 H&H and my brother, jdpollen, will be video taping me. He's going to bring along his custom made 338 to take one too.

Is your deer season in full swing now?

Quick Reply: Got one last bowhunt in before the end of the year...