New Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Since no one owns one yet it's all pretty speculative.

But your right it should reach closer to 50-60 mpg. IMHO
My 600cc Suzuki RF600R only gets about 40 MPG (and did so new from factory) , so 35Mpg on a heavier vehicle, may not be as rediculous as you think.

Last edited by eighteenwheeler; 06-09-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Since no one owns one yet it's all pretty speculative.

But your right it should reach closer to 50-60 mpg. IMHO
Some reports claim about 45 mpg. Either way if it is used as a commuter here in CA. You can ride in the carpool lane by yourself. It will also save fuel from what my wife normally drives. At least double the mileage even if it only gets 34 mpg.

My wife has always wanted a motorcycle but was afraid she would drop it. This is the answer to that problem. Plus I think she really likes the cool factor by being the first one on the block to own one.

Everything I have read in different forums seems to point that mostly people over 40 years old and women really like it.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by canyonslicker
Everything I have read in different forums seems to point that mostly people over 40 years old and women really like it.

Crap... :o

Old 06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krohbar
Crap... :o
LMAO

Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Hope you get the extended warranty... BRP hasn't been impressing me with build quality the last few years. 5 of the 6 Ski-Doos I ride with (including mine) have had the motor grenade within 3 years.

BRP= Bring Rings and Pistons

Also, my Honda CBR 929rr gets about 35-40 mpg, so I think the Bombi numbers might be right.

Other than that, looks like a fun ride

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Hi All,

As promised, I test drove the BRP Spyder and...it was awesome!!!!

It's actually a great machine, motorcycle no but it still has great attributes plus some caveats.

1. Acceleration is great, comparable to an old 86 Kawasaki 650. Not a bad comparison.

2. Ride and sit is like quad or snowmobile but the steering can be sensitive and overresponding at higher speeds. I needed to learn how to relax my elbows and then it ran true.

3. Style is right on for the type of machine it is. Very functional with the "WOW" factor.

4. Gauges are well laid out with digital displays of all the vitals and with the rudimentry back analog gauges.

5. Security??? Lo-Jack, electronically encoded keys or Club a like device will not deter anyone from snaggin' this fine ride.

I rode motorcycles from the age of 14 and I never owned a 4 wheel vehicle until I was 26 yrs. old. This machine requires a second look.

I do not sell this product but it is truly an experience to drive one.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Canyonslicker - it's great to finally find another Spyder enthusiast from California. It seems all the guys I've talked to in other forums are from the midwest. I'm surprised though to read a fellow California motorcyclist not condemn the Spyder for being to wide to lane split.

As far as the Spyder being a big hit with older riders and women, I think that that is true to an extent, I also think that is because those are the majority of people putting down deposits. I think there are plenty of sideline fans that are younger, male, and broke, like me.

akheloce made the point that BRP products are notorious for breaking, but it bears noting that the Spyder powerplant is basically a rotax v-twin very similar to the ones Aprilla puts in its sport bikes.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
The performance and fuel efficiency seem bad, at best. My Focus gets that mileage and weighs 4+ times as much
I just got 30 mpg in the Focus this week. I don't know how, but I did.

Quick Reply: New Spyder