I'm Going to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Going to Mexico

I will be taking my truck to mexico soon and am a little worried, should I be worried and what are some hints or tricks to make sure I have a ride back to the U.S. I was thinking just pulling the fuel pump fuse when I leave the truck or somthing like that? Note my friend got his jeep stolen and never recovered last time we went down and lost A LOT of money in his new tires and stereo, all in which I have and/or just put on.

Last edited by extremeethan; 02-26-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Make sure you have Mexican insurance for the time you're there.

And I think you need a passport now to come back.

What city are you going to? If it's Nogales, park on this side and walk across. If it's a beach town other than Rocky Point then you probably have nothing to worry about. If it is Rocky Point then you probably still have nothing to worry about, but I wouldn't take my truck there.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
dont take it, i live on the border and if someone from a drug gang likes ur truck they'll take it from u, no questions asked. u try to say no and the'll shoot u on the spot. my advice to u is to leave it at home. stay away from the "Mania" and "los Zetas"

Old 02-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I am going to rocky point, but eveytime we are there though everone has big lifted trucks there why would they want mine over anyone elses? Now I am even more worried, I never cared when it was my friends ****box but now I am really worried. Any input from people that go to rockypoint? Is it really as bad as eveyone says? Ill be going down with some mexican's (not to be racial) and one says his uncle is some big political guy down there.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 PM
If you're going during spring break then you should be fine. Spanish speakers will help a lot. And if your friend is really connected then you have nothing to worry about. A smooth talking, politically connected Mexican is a thing of beauty. Helps if you have money, too.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
You don't need a passport until next year.

As was mentioned, parking in US and walking across, if it works for you, is not a bad way to go. The walking line to get back to US is much shorter than the car line.

I normally am going to Tijuana every week and that's how I do it. A company car picks me up and takes me to where I work; in the car region in south/inland Tijuana. Been doing it a while (almost two years) and I have seen a lot, but in general the walking line back to US is always better--although that typically takes like 45 minutes to cross.

On another note, my wife and I drive down into Baja California; there are some nice resorts on the ocean and in general I have found the Mexican people to be very friendly; especially once you are clear of Tijuana. Just use you head, don't drive like a maniac and stay clear of the fools driving like retards--they don't have much to lose--you do. The speed limits (in KPH) are pretty low, so you have to be careful of speeding.

I would not be parking my truck anywhere for any length of time if I could avoid it.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Thats also what I always do 80 in the wallet and the rest somewhere hidden (not dirty) so I can pull out my wallet and and give them all I have if it is ever need. And yeah spring break. His uncle always goes donw in his h2 and stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
would the fuse thing be a good idea or something else?

Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
ahhhhh....makes me want to take a vacation....???????

Old 02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by gatkins94
ahhhhh....makes me want to take a vacation....???????
no kidding.. I'm currently looking for a honeymoon destination, I think my list just got shorter.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
the fuse is a great idea...without power to the fuel pump (whether they want the truck or not), they're not gonna get anywhere....IT WON'T START!..._motes

Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by bmalone
You don't need a passport until next year.
US citizens have needed a passport to return to the US from Mexico by air since January 23, 2007. For now, you need a combination of a birth certificate *and* driver's license or other state-issued photo id, or a passport only, to visit Mexico by land or sea. If using a birth certificate as identification, you must have the original, with an embossed state seal. If traveling by land, you don't need a passport to visit Mexico by June 1, 2009, if not sooner -- but that may change.

Im heading to Cabo come May for a week, but flying... woooooooo!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, you are right about air travel.

My world for the last two years is the walking line and that is next year and he was talking about driving. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Mexicooooooo

Grow up guys!, US is not the only country in the world with buildings, internet and nice trucks!! Jajajaa not all Mexico is a rats nest!! jajaja do not believe what you see on TV! travel everywhere you can, and compare!!

Not because you are a Gringo (not to be racial) that means that they want to steal your truck!!

I am from Monterrey (3 hours from the border) but i am U.S. citizen. I used to work in Dallas and travel alot from US to Mexico. Mexico can be as dangerous/safer as US.

I have an 04 f150 (american truck) and never had a problem in Mexico,(nice and bad areas) I have DVD, KICKER SUBS, ROCKFORD POWER AMP, INFINITY SPEAKES, BULL BAR, PIAA FOG LIGTHS ETC...) and never had a problem! don't be afraid!!!! actually in Dallas in front of my office (in one of the best places in Dallas, Plano) somebody stealed my audio sound!! with alarm!!!!

If you are taking your truck to Mexico you need your driver license and your title (under your name) you need a permit to drive your truck inside Mexico (you do not need a passport by land only your birth certificate) I do this all the time! In the truck permit place there are insurance companies or you can call your US insurance and some of them cover in Mexico.

The fuse is a funny thing jajajaj if you have an alarm that is fine. do not waste your time!

People in Mexico usually drive terrible!!! (that is true) but in New York or Spain drive worst!!!!! believe me!! is not that bad. If you travel with mexicans is better you will not get lost (like all countries in the world).

In Mexico somethimes they steal side mirrors but you just need to buy a "mirror lock" for 20 dlls. but in not that common.

Have fun in Mexico!!!

PD: I really have an 04 F150 not a donkey and I really wear a cap not a mexican sombrero, and people do not seat next to a cactus!!

Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 PM
idk fuse is a good idea but if they want it theyre gonna get it....i wouldn't chance taking my truck there....

Quick Reply: I'm Going to Mexico