Tundra versus the competition (video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Also, is it a coincidence that the #1 selling truck comes in DEAD LAST in every test. Toyota has made it very clear they're going after Ford with this new truck.
Exactly.

And A Hemi powered ram will spank a Stock f150 more than what's being shown in that video.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
The F-series have already proven themselves for decades. Toyotas past is a bunch of rusting ****boxes and some real fugly trucks. All they are doing now is taking one size and saying it compete with the heavy duty offerings from the Big 3. Remember their ol 1/2-ton? That thing was no bigger than a Ranger.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
Exactly.

And A Hemi powered ram will spank a Stock f150 more than what's being shown in that video.
Im glad Toyota came out with a dominant 1/2ton truck. and so should everyone else. It raised the standards and now Ford will need to design a 400HP 6spd truck that kicks the Tundra's butt. If it not were for competition we'd still be stuck back old technology. Its just I dont think anyone expected Toyota to raise the standards by that much, I know I wasnt. Either way, Ford needs to go back to the drawing board and Im anxious to see what they come up with, and soon. Im pulling for them, Im also glad because in order to get 400HP they will need to ditch the current 5.4 design and I'll be glad to see it go.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by 89Lariat
The F-series have already proven themselves for decades. Toyotas past is a bunch of rusting ****boxes and some real fugly trucks. All they are doing now is taking one size and saying it compete with the heavy duty offerings from the Big 3. Remember their ol 1/2-ton? That thing was no bigger than a Ranger.
Sorry but the fact that Ford made a number one selling pickup 30yrs ago doesnt help me tow my load today. In order to STAY on top you need to constantly look for improvements, competition is a good thing. Ford should think of this as a challenge, similiar to how Toyota approached it. Designing the new F150 should be a chance to see how good of a truck they can actually make.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Im glad Toyota came out with a dominant 1/2ton truck. and so should everyone else. It raised the standards and now Ford will need to design a 400HP 6spd truck that kicks the Tundra's butt. If it not were for competition we'd still be stuck back old technology. Its just I dont think anyone expected Toyota to raise the standards by that much, I know I wasnt. Either way, Ford needs to go back to the drawing board and Im anxious to see what they come up with, and soon. Im pulling for them, Im also glad because in order to get 400HP they will need to ditch the current 5.4 design and I'll be glad to see it go.
I miss the old technology. Ive never really been a fan of the modular motors, I like the old 302, 351 pushrods. And I love my bench seat. But I do want to see a diesel in the F-150, I dont think without the competition that would happen. When I do finally bring myself to buy one of these soccer mom new trucks I would like to have the option of a diesel.

What I cant stand about the tundra is, one it is UGLY, and that just because its a toyota its so great. This truck has proven nothing, and what they built in the past was total garbage.

Sorry but the fact that Ford made a number one selling pickup 30yrs ago doesnt help me tow my load today. In order to STAY on top you need to constantly look for improvements, competition is a good thing. Ford should think of this as a challenge, similiar to how Toyota approached it. Designing the new F150 should be a chance to see how good of a truck they can actually make.
Read what I typed, I said that the F-series has proven itself. Toyota has proven nothing, who knows how this design is gonna hold up after people start using these things and not just talking about how great they are. Toyotas past with their "trucks" isnt exactly great.

Last edited by 89Lariat; 02-18-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by 89Lariat
I miss the old technology. Ive never really been a fan of the modular motors, I like the old 302, 351 pushrods. And I love my bench seat. But I do want to see a diesel in the F-150, I dont think without the competition that would happen. When I do finally bring myself to buy one of these soccer mom new trucks I would like to have the option of a diesel.

What I cant stand about the tundra is, one it is UGLY, and that just because its a toyota its so great. This truck has proven nothing, and what they built in the past was total garbage.

Read what I typed, I said that the F-series has proven itself. Toyota has proven nothing, who knows how this design is gonna hold up after people start using these things and not just talking about how great they are. Toyotas past with their "trucks" isnt exactly great.
Actually Toyota's past record is pretty good. The 20R and 22R engines are one of the most reliable and touch engines ever produced. Toyota also has proven that they arent afraid to be innovative and lift the standards. Now days its not good enough to be mediocre, and Toyota isnt afraid to built high HP engines and utilize 6spd transmissions, something that is a first in the 1/2 truck market.

Like I said, Ford will either have to compete or lose market share as they have in the car market. I will just be glad to see the exodus of the 5.4 mod motor hopefully.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Saw a 4X4 Tundra up close on Saturday. It is MUCH bigger than my 2WD truck. No matter how much HP & TQ you put under that hood, you can't get around the fact that it's hideously ugly. I will go so far as to say that it looks better in pics than it does in front of you. I could never own a vehicle that ugly.

One must keep in mind that looks are entirely subjective. What I think is ugly might be the works of Devinci to someone else.

As far as this "Toyota Quality" I simply am not buying that brand of Kool Aid. Toyota's break and have issues just like every other brand. I rented a 2007 Camry (90% of the rental cars on the island are Toyota or Nissan) on my last trip to Guam. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this car is the #1 selling car in the US. I was pathetically slow (4 Cyl) and I thought it was fugly. It's fit & finish was far below that of my Wife's VW. The front seats sucked. The shifter gate sucked. The AC sucked. I really didn't find a single thing about the car to be appealing.

I have owned a Toyota in the distant past but it was a European model. I owned it long enough to flip it for a $1000 profit.

Lastly, don't forget that you are only allowed to say Ford rules.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 02-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Actually Toyota's past record is pretty good. The 20R and 22R engines are one of the most reliable and touch engines ever produced. Toyota also has proven that they arent afraid to be innovative and lift the standards. Now days its not good enough to be mediocre, and Toyota isnt afraid to built high HP engines and utilize 6spd transmissions, something that is a first in the 1/2 truck market.

Like I said, Ford will either have to compete or lose market share as they have in the car market. I will just be glad to see the exodus of the 5.4 mod motor hopefully.
The older engines were good, Ill give them that. But everything else was less than impressive.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Why do some of you guys keep bitching about the Tundra jumping the gun at the beginning....?

HELLOOOOOO... Thats what happens when you have 400+ ft lbs of torque + 6spd transmission, you're gonna dominate off the line.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Sooo....whats going to happen in 10 years if you have to keep one-uping the competition in the power department? Are we going to see 18 speed transmissions with 998 hp and 1467 tq? And tow 50,000lbs with a half ton truck?

Ford needs some more power and a better tranny but i like how they are looking at other things to improve like the safety and the ride. The things that should matter the most. They alwasy said..the 3 most important things about a truck are 1.The frame 2.The frame. 3.The frame. And fords are the strongest.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
Sooo....whats going to happen in 10 years if you have to keep one-uping the competition in the power department? Are we going to see 18 speed transmissions with 998 hp and 1467 tq? And tow 50,000lbs with a half ton truck?

Ford needs some more power and a better tranny but i like how they are looking at other things to improve like the safety and the ride. The things that should matter the most. They alwasy said..the 3 most important things about a truck are 1.The frame 2.The frame. 3.The frame. And fords are the strongest.
Most people wont be happy till they can find a way to build a Kenworth into a half ton chassis.

A truck should be a truck. Strong frame, enough power to do the job (you want speed buy a sports car) and be dependable. I dont need a NAV system, DVD, dual climate control or leather seats to go fishing, hunting or off-roading. Its just more **** that adds to the sticker price and is eventually gonna break and cost more $ to fix. I have a Lariat, about as luxurious as they got when a truck was still a truck. Ive got A/C, cruise, power windows and locks. All of which I do like having but can, and have lived without in my previous two trucks. I have no need for any of those extras. If I want the comforts of a Lincoln, then Ill buy a Lincoln.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:50 AM
i still like my f150, it satisfies me.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup

Thats an ignorant statement. If it not for "one-uping" the competition we'd still be stuck with 3spd autos, drum brakes, and many other outdated components. To say that you dont want anymore power or any other improvements out of your truck really means that you are closed minded.

If in ten yrs they build a 500HP engine that gets 20mpg, I'd glady welcome it. Who wouldnt?! I dont see how increasing power and improving components are a bad thing for the consumer????? We live in an ever improving world, if that offends or bothers some people who dont like change, oh well. Its not going to stop. One thing you can count on in this world, change and hopefully for the better.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow, one little Toyota Video on YouTube causes war among F150 owners. Can't we all just get along?

... I love my superduty above the mess... for now..

Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
To all those thinking Ford will come out with more HP, like 400hp, don't hold your breath. When has Ford ever had the most hp or fastest 1/2 ton pickup truck with the exception of special editions like the L or the HD's. I would guess Ford will up the HP to keep up, maybe 340 or so, but will not aim to be the highest or the fastest, never have before, so why would they start now?

On another note, I am curious as to what kind of mileage the Tundra is getting with that much HP? Is it comparable to what the F150 is currently getting? Any manufacturer can build a 500hp 1/2 ton truck, but it has to get reasonable mileage in every day use for buyers to swing that way.

Quick Reply: Tundra versus the competition (video)