Royalty...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html

I'm sure most of you have heard about this if you watch the news. I'm thinking big deal

am I the only one who thinks the British (and any other) royalty is a huge waste of time and money? They go about their lives sucking riches off the people, and do what in exchange??? Live lives of luxury (sorry for the alliteration) and rub it in the poor man's face? I have a hard time dealing with celebs here in the US for the same reason, but at least the celebs do something... act, sing, entertain (well, not all entertain)... What purpose do these royal leeches serve?

I know we have a few Britons in here, and I in no way mean to offend anyone, but I just don't think I could handle living there for this very reason... Otherwise I wouldn't mind getting away from some of the crap here in the States...

Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
its part of the culture and history. Just like the US.

Look at how Americans put celebs on a pedestal. Givem them a lot of money to not do much, other than parade around and flaunt money.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I'll think you'll find that the Royal family costs less than the President.
In pure monetary terms, it's something like $1 per day per head which isn't too bad for the entertainment it gives us.
Actually, the Queen does perform a role of Head of State not only for Britain but also the Commonwealth and although her powers are limited, the Monarch does hold the right to dissolve parliament and have them call a general election at anytime if it all goes really **** up.
The real problem is the media obsession with them especially the Princes.
Whatever they do, it's reported in a bad light.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
...One of the photos featured Harry squeezing the breast of TV presenter Natalie Pinkham. ...
It's good to be da King.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
Actually, the Queen does perform a role of Head of State not only for Britain but also the Commonwealth . . .
Yes she is, God Bless her. And it seems, as far as I can tell, she follows the laws of the country . . . as opposed to our head of state who blatantly violates laws or makes them up as he goes along, and continuously chips away at our Constitutional Rights.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
It's good to be da King.

Oh pi$$ boy...

Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Better drop this.
I just found out jamz doesn't care for Seinfeld, Brooks may be on his bad list too.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Better drop this.
I just found out jamz doesn't care for Seinfeld, Brooks may be on his bad list too.

that's okay.

Harvey Korman stole that scene anyway