Wife's New Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i look at it another way

being patriotic would be not buying american (besides trucks), and that would force domestic automakers to rethink their plans and stop selling us absolute uncompetitive crap

Old 07-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Suspended
I wasn't "bashing" by any means, and the hilarious reply claiming my ignorance gave me a chuckle. I only said what I said because I was seriously under the impression you had no idea what you got yourself into.

and damn right I haven't OWNED a VW, thank God, because I literally have known 5-6 close friends that owned a VW. Last I checked EVERY single one had sold their VW within 2 years of getting it because it was a money pit and so unreliable it was unsafe.

Apparently you got lucky with your Jetta, big deal, just like any auto manufacture makes the occasional Lemon, I'm sure a decent car pops out of even a Chevy plant these days.

Oh, and you can refer to Wikipidia, not my own knowledge if you don't trust my ignorant comments.
"After rising significantly between 1998 and 2002, VW's North American sales began to fall sharply leading to a 2005 loss of roughly $1 billion (U.S.) for its operations in the U.S. and Canada. The reliability of the company's cars appears to bear some of the responsibility for this situation. By the early 2000s, its models sat near the BOTTOM of Consumer Reports and J.D. Power RELIABILITY rankings." Good luck!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:21 AM
VW's

My only experience with Volkswagons came quite a few years ago when my dad used to have a 1988, i believe, VW Fox station wagon. We got it used and it seemed like a fairly decent car. The only problems that it had was when something let go in the transmission, which left the car only with like 2nd or 3rd gear if i remember right(it was a standard). We got that fixed and drove it a while longer until it started having serious overheating problems. My dad, who doesnt really believe in paying more than $300 to a mechanic, and has no mechanical know-how, decided that instead of fixing up the old Fox, he'd rather get a new car. The new car happened to be a Ford Contour, which I must say, was a lot nicer than the ol' VW Fox..

-Dave

Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Congrats on the new car. Don't listen to all of the haters. It is your money and you should drive whatever you want.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I like it...

I especially like the Catholic School girl skirts that were made into seat covers...

I know a guy who autocrosses a very similar car, and does consistenly well with it. It also eats struts and clutches like it's going out of style, but he's a service rep for a VW dealer so somehow alot of it gets fixed under warranty...adding to the cost of buying a new car for eeryone else.

All in all, congratulations on the purchase. It's great to see new toys!

Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 6T6CPE
Well actually at $38.10 an hour the Germans are the highest paid auto workers in the world and their unions are feared more than UAW.
And somehow they still manage to be profitable...

Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
As for me, I don't care about who makes the best car.

I am an American, and a Patriot.

I buy American whenever I have a choice.

You have a choice.

Now that there is funny…

Do you know how much of your Ford truck is “truly” built in America as compared to just assembled in America?

I am not knocking American brands because I do own a few but lets be honest and admit most of the vehicle is “foreign made” by cheap labor somewhere else and then put together by simple labor here in America…

Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by KC-10 FE
In my 14 years of owning cars, I find that most people who say a certain brand or type of car is junk have never owned one or rely on second hand info to form their negative opinion of said brand/type. We traded in our 2003 Jetta for this. The Jetta was a model of reliability. We had ZERO problems in 4 years & 65000 miles. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Only thing we had to do to the Jetta was normal upkeep. I still have yet to see even a single example of a German car being worse than anything Ford makes. I had to threaten a Ford dealership with a lawsuit just to get them to do warranty work on my truck. Funny, I never had to do that at any VW dealer. My truck is not a POS but it requires a trip to the dealer at least once a quarter for something stupid and I think I'd rather pull out my finger nails than go to the Ford dealer around here. When we went for normal maintenance at the VW dealer, they would drop us off at the local diner or mall and come pick us up when we called just so we wouldn't have to wait. When I take my truck to the Ford dealer, they won't even give me a ride .8 miles, that's right .8, to my parents house. I usually walk.

Not saying anyone can't have their opinion on a certain brand of car but I simply don't see why everyone on this board bashes German cars. It is a Ford board but German vehicles are far and away more reliable than Ford's.

If you listen to the auto press and Consumer Reports, you would think anything other than a Toyota or Honda will blow up any second.

Why??

My wife's German and INSISTS on owning a German car. You really can't argue with logic like that. I lived there for 5 years, trust me, German cars are better. UAW??? I could give a rat's butt about the UAW. They don't give a crap about anything other than themselves and are DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for ruining the American auto industry. F the UAW.

She actually wanted the VW EOS but they won't be available for about 4 months.

KC-10 FE out...
I'm waiting for the VW EOS to come out too. I saw it at the Detroit auto show, and thought it was neat. I would like to test drive it. I like the way the hard top roof folds away. This would be for the wifey, she is German. I think we all could use a second car that gets better mpg's than our trucks.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport

Do you know how much of your Ford truck is “truly” built in America as compared to just assembled in America?
I use the UAW approved list when choosing a new vehicle.

http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2005.cfm

Next time you're out of a job, and hungry.....try eating your import.

Last edited by Kool Aid; 07-03-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 AM
"Jerman enjaneering in da hoouse"

Old 07-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I use the UAW approved list when choosing a new vehicle.

I am pretty sure that my job stability does not depend on buying an American made vehicle. I drive an F150 because I want to, not because it is made in America and Toby Keith sings their commercials. My money goes to the company that is the most innovative and brings the best product to the market for the best price.

Unions suck

Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
...the UAW approved list when choosing a new vehicle.

What a crock...I'd intentionally not buy from that list but my favorite vehicles are on it....

Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lrhogfan
Unions suck
+1 for me.

The union is 95% of the entire direct reason that VF Jeans Wear moved all of thier plants to Mexico.

Thanks UFCW, I liked that job too.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I stay well feed and employed, at a much better pay scale, with NO help of any union...

The union holds the responsible working person down, keeps them underpaid and not well feed...

Unions force work to go overseas where child labor is promoted. Next time your eating your cornbread think about that poor little 12 year old overseas...

Toyota is as much American, if not more American, then any Ford...

Keep jobs in America support NON-Union shops...

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 07-03-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by lrhogfan

Unions suck
ABSOLUTELY FALSE!

as far as the VW goes, its defiantly a chick car which would be great for your wife, but as someone here also states, VW's dont have a great reliable history with them. A Friend's Mom of mine as an 03 Jetta thats to the "Junk" status right now, you name it, it has had it's problems more so then my Fords ever did. Just be aware and get an extended warranty before time runs out with it.

Quick Reply: Wife's New Ride