Help with an HDTV.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:52 PM
SnowmaNick
Just as a quick clarification on my question about his sat setup. I have seen people run so many splices, connectors, worn cables (even seen a few with carpentry staples through them), I was wondering if thee install was clean. Looking at my post, I see how that wasn't clear. Every time you connect a cable to a splitter, connector, anything it adds additional insertion loss. The satelite can be perfectly alligned and you could still be running a significantly reduced quality signal.

As for Component, not try to spark annything, but the ony caps I have seeen on what they can run is on upconversion on DVD players and older, not newer equipment. As for HDMI, as much as I love it, it is called verson 1.1 for a reason. This is still considered a moving target as far as specs and final outcome go.

I don't want to get into a debate on this stuff, I just want to help the guy enjoy his tv.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vader716
I swear he insulted us all....I'm not sure because I'm slow but something seems odd....
Myself included. I'm no expert, I'm just here for the and arguments!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by SnowmaNick
Just as a quick clarification on my question about his sat setup. I have seen people run so many splices, connectors, worn cables (even seen a few with carpentry staples through them), I was wondering if thee install was clean. Looking at my post, I see how that wasn't clear. Every time you connect a cable to a splitter, connector, anything it adds additional insertion loss. The satelite can be perfectly alligned and you could still be running a significantly reduced quality signal.

As for Component, not try to spark annything, but the ony caps I have seeen on what they can run is on upconversion on DVD players and older, not newer equipment. As for HDMI, as much as I love it, it is called verson 1.1 for a reason. This is still considered a moving target as far as specs and final outcome go.

I don't want to get into a debate on this stuff, I just want to help the guy enjoy his tv.

I appreciate it Snowman.....I have a single cable running from the dish right to the receiver..no connectors, no splices, no wall jacks....straight to the receiver. Then from th receiver I have a brand new set of component cables.

I'm convinced, the TV is messed up. I just spent 30 minutes going thru both manuals and checking all the settings and trying to fine tune the color. Like I said before, once I get a channel looking fairly decent,,the other channels look like crap.

Now to decide on which one to buy tomorrow night...hmmmmm

BREW

Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good lord Brew......when are you going to stop??

Your friggen credit card won't have a black strip on the back before long.

Then again, if i was getting paid as much for doing as little as you do......then hell id just hand over the cash JK!

Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 AM
APT
Originally Posted by BREWDUDE
I just spent 30 minutes going thru both manuals and checking all the settings and trying to fine tune the color. Like I said before, once I get a channel looking fairly decent,,the other channels look like crap.
Do yourself a favor and buy Video Essentials or Avia DVD. They will help set up any TV's picture.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by APT
Do yourself a favor and buy Video Essentials or Avia DVD. They will help set up any TV's picture.

I came across those last night and was going to ask about them. So I'm guessing they are worth the money? One was $50, not sure about the other one.

Anyway, tonights the night....any last suggestions,comments,brand or model I should look at? Thanks for the help guys.

BREW

Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
Good lord Brew......when are you going to stop??

Your friggen credit card won't have a black strip on the back before long.

Then again, if i was getting paid as much for doing as little as you do......then hell id just hand over the cash JK!

Nah, the credit cards not getting burned up here man. I try use that as little as possible. Thats why Im trying to stay in a certain price range with this TV. I may have to use it for a part of the TV if I decide on a bigger more betterer one..

And look whos talking Mr. Fully loaded Lariat

BREW

Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
APT
I came across those last night and was going to ask about them. So I'm guessing they are worth the money? One was $50, not sure about the other one.
Maybe you can even rent it @ Blockbuster. IMHO, it's worth buying. I don't have an HDTV, but it looks like VE has a Digital Video Essentials version that supports 720p/1080i.

As far as what to buy? Did you list a budget? It's pretty hard to beat the Panny 60u line for flat panel displays. The 37" model is 36.125" wide and can be had for about $1800 at local stores when on sale.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM
WOW...What a difference. I took the TV back and got the Sony Bravia. Right out of the box, the picture is 100X better. The sound is better and even the HD picture is better. I can only imagine what it will look like once I get it dialed in and tuned right. Oh, and I'm using component cables right now. I need to get the HDMI cable and it should be even better ( so they tell me )

Thanks for all the help guys.

This is me now --->

Oh..one more thing..It's always something. They had a real sweet 42" plasma on sale plus open box sale that I could've got for $1200. I just dont have the room for that size, no matter what I do.

BREW

Last edited by BREWDUDE; 05-18-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
New truck, new TV, good dog. man you got it going your way now!

Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
WOW...What a difference. I took the TV back and got the Sony Bravia. Right out of the box, the picture is 100X better. The sound is better and even the HD picture is better. I can only imagine what it will look like once I get it dialed in and tuned right. Oh, and I'm using component cables right now. I need to get the HDMI cable and it should be even better ( so they tell me )
Good deal on the new TV! Shoulda got a larger one though... didn't you listen to me at all?! Sheesh!

Anywho, don't worry about the HDMI, it is unlikely you'll see any difference at all on that TV. Some TV/DVD/whatever combos can look better with HDMI, some with component & some look best via a DVI connection, it all depends on how the manufacture implemented each protocol and how they perform all the conversions. Anywho... point is if your happy, calibrate the set and save the HDMI for something else, like an upconverting or HD DVD player..

Old 05-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dzervit
Anywho... point is if your happy, calibrate the set and save the HDMI for something else, like an upconverting or HD DVD player..
Maybe something like this.

I have one on order right now.

Glad you got something that works for you.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit
Good deal on the new TV! Shoulda got a larger one though... didn't you listen to me at all?! Sheesh!

HAHA...Nah I listened to ya and trust me, if I had the room I woulda got the bigger one. Actually woulda got that 42" plasma. But I was restricted on the size. Plus, it doesnt get used all that much. My 50" out back gets used most of the time.

But I'm happy. I just ordered the Digital Video Essentials DVD. Figure it cant hurt to help calibrate all my TV's. And I'll take your advice on the HDMI cable for now and wait on getting one.

BREW

Old 05-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
New truck, new TV, good dog. man you got it going your way now!
All he needs now is a lady

Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
All he needs now is a lady

Yeah, but if finds a woman, he can kiss-off buying all the toys.