Well, when the fire dep't doesn't show up, it's time to improvise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took these pictures a couple of years ago, but just came accross them. I was working and smelt smoke from outside, so I headed out to find where it was coming from. A F-350 diesel crew cab was parked on the side of a hotel, when it caught on fire. The trucks up at work are left running most of the time, but occasionally they shut them off and plug them in if they won't be run for a while. This truck apparantly was left plugged in (oil pan, tranny, engine block, battery heaters etc.) and was started. It eventually went up in flames due to an electrical issue.

The hotel and surrounding business all have large loaders in which they use buckets on to remove the snow. They strapped the truck to one, and drug it from the building. I got there just as they were doing this. They got it out in the open, and waited for the fire department. Several minutes went by so they decided to start piling on the snow. It pretty much did the job, but when the fire department showed up, they dowsed it with water, turning this rig into a giant iceball.

Thought you all might enjoy the pictures and story.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Cool pics as long as your not the guy who's truck is on fire.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Probably the most exciting thing to happen in Deadhorse for a long time

Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Nah, it's just a company truck, nothing to fret... except for you job!

Things don't get too wild in Deadhorse, it's a dry community (no alcohol), and a work community, not many woman at all. It's pretty exciting when the grizzly bears break in, and the ice finally melts off the lake around the 4th of July.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a ditch behind my property and standing water was causing a bad mosquito problem. I cleared it as far as I could but it continued onto County property. The County has a number to call to get the ditches cleared for mosquito problems.

I called.
Then I called and called.

Finally I called without giving my name and asked how many quarts of motor oil does it take to kill mosquitos in a ditch 3 foot wide and 1 foot deep.

They were out that afternoon.

Quick Reply: Well, when the fire dep't doesn't show up, it's time to improvise