stupid things you have done with a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.) Went cross-country at the National Training Center across God know's what kind of jacked up terrain in a HMMWV (High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehcile) -aka- HummVee... It was the most fun I'd ever had in a vehicle, with my clothes on. Until I hit this big **** deep, shallow rut that almost cost me my teeth.... (Party's over; time for some sensible drivign again...)

2.) Cutting doughnuts in a HummVee in Hohenfelds, West Germany on the face of a mountain, that had a cliff with about a 200 foot drop that was well-within and out-of-control Hummer's ability to reach, from a skid in about 4 seconds... Fortunately, I never lost control, and was able to confirm that those driving lessons about skid correction are absolutely right.

3.) While cross a shallow stream, to the west of West Range Road at Forth Hood, I decided to see if the hummer actually could ford deep water. So (Without a water fording kit), instead of crossing, I turned south and went down the stream. When we started, the water was maybe 12 inches deep.. About 50 feet in, we hit a rut, and sank. The water quickly went from 12 inches deep to about 3 feet deep. Water started coming into the truck through the floor and the doors. I quickly put her in reverse (Having never-ever seen a hummer get stuck.) and backed out the way I came. The exhaust pipe was under water, but somehow, old D-190 backed right out, and proceeded. My shotgun and I got our feet wet, that was about it...

4.) 1985: In my Uncle's 1977 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham Coupe, with the 455 Cu. in 4-barrell V-8. We'd had an ice storm, and the roads were very slick. That got us out of school for three days. On day three, the ice started melting. The roads were went, but otherwise looked clear. Mom sent me to the store, so away I went, as I neared home, a bunch of my friends were headed up to the school for basketball practice. I decided to give them a ride, which I did. I dropped them off, and decided to show off by leaving in a very fast & aggressive manner. I got to the end of the drive way, and (from a stop) prepared to make a right turn onto the street. I punched it, and don't ask me how, but the taillights got into the intersection before the headlights did- I was out of control. The road was only 2 lanes wide, and fortunately no cars were coming. There were deep ditches on both sides, and here I am tryign to hold this 5,500 lbs beast in the road. She fish-tailed wildly as I held on, correcting each move with my well studied notes on how to counteract skids. She'd go right, I'd go right, she'd jerk back left, I'd steer left. It felt like this went on for 20 minutes, but I was probably only 5-10 seconds. Next thing I knew, I was heading the right way, so I drove off (right out of the skid) as if nothing had happened.

I got down the street, and made a right past the gas station, and my legs were shaking so badly, I had to get out of the car.. They felt like jello. I'd seen my life, and my driver's license flash before my eyes- plus, my Uncle (Who had left his car with us while he'd gone to Germany) would kill me if I damaged his car.

Aside from speeding and exceeding 100 MPH on numerous occasions, those are the top 4 dumbass things I've ever done with a "moving" vehicle...

Now, in a parked vehicle... I could tell you some stories.... Hittign it before 10 PM in my girlfriend's parents driveway type stories, as well as MP shining the light in my car type stories....

Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Stupid things done in a car, when I wasn't driving:

1984:
My buddy Brian was brining me home, after I'd helped them paint the rooms to move into their new house. It was a rock road and Brian was doign about 65 MPH. Looking out the back window, the "dust-wake" would have had you thinking the thing had a propellor behind it. So, I'd asked him to slow down- he sped up. (I'm 14, he's 15) Then, he starts shaking the steerign wheel side to side. I said, "Man, you'd better watch that siht." He did it again, doing that crazy laugh, sorta like Beavis & Butthead, I said,"Come on man, don't do that." We're now cruising at about 80 MPH on a rock/dirt road, he shimmied that steering wheel the 3rd time, and the dark gren, 2-door Dodge Magnum got away from him. We went sideways (Don't ask me why we didn't roll) and when it caught grip, the big Dodge shot us straight into a barbed-wire fence. He steered right, and the wirewas about midway the car, running parallel to us- and we took out a few poles before we stopped.

Neither of us was hurt, but never have I ever wanted to choke the siht out of somebody so bad... He tried to pull off, but, for some reason, we were stuck. I got out and pushed, and we got free.

His mom's cars got the siht scratched out of it- but I was mad, and scared, so I didn't worry much about how he was going to explain those scratches to his mom; afterall, I'd asked him to stop, twice...
-----------------------------------------------

1999- My buddy came over in his 1997 Mustang GT. He'd had it souped up, new headers, flowmasters, pulleys, etc... Our wives went shopping, so we went to look at some big-screen TV's & such at Montgomery Ward's in Plano (15th & Alma).

Afterwards, we went cruising, and was out on Spring Creek Parkway. We made a left onto Coit, and was cruisign up Coit at about 60 MPH. (Speed limit is 40, but, no one does the speed limit on Spring Creek or Coit).

We were heading back to my apartment, we'd just gone past Tulane when for no reason, he just gunned it. The Mustang took off, and we were over 100 MPH in a flash. As we approached Park Blvd, the light turned yellow. He nailed it and the Mustang lurched forward. I don't know how fast we were going, but, when we hit Park the car felt funny, as if it had gotten lighter. a second or two later, we hit the ground (We had literally "flown" through the intersection of Park & Coit). He was laughing his **** off, and soon after, slowed to a respectable 55-60...

I said, man- were we in the air just then? He said yeah, and cracked up laughing. He'd just landed a huge promotion from District MGR to Regional Vice President, and was planning to get a Viper. His wife was vehemently against that... On this day, I understood why... If he was that dangerous in a Mustang, surely, he'd kill himself, or them, in a Viper...

Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Hersh....

Check out BRUZR's post, here.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
How do I post pics here from my gallery?
I know you want to see them.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by northernnorm
How do I post pics here from my gallery?
I know you want to see them.

Right click on the picture you want to post...go to properties...copy the URL of the picture...then PASTE the URL in the thread, and put [img] in front of the URL, and [/img] after the URL.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
These are photos I took of where a guy about 85 years old left the road at about 80 mph.

Here he just left the road and headed over about a 20 foot embankment.

Here he continued down the embankment, headed for the remnants of the old highway.

Notice the culvert has been removed.

Here he did a spectacular jump, but never quite made it to the other side. He pancaked and drove his front wheels right up into the fenders. Bent the frame just in front of the paddenger compartment, wheels splayed out, but he still drove it back up onto the highway.
Must have been one heck of a surprise for him and his dog.
Sorry I don't have photos of the finished product.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
That's just Kobi's style. Come on you didnt laugh when he said "get a map....I'll wait". I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

This place is great for building thick skin and a sense of humor....

You should've seen the flogging (and rightly so) I took when I posted a

"Does this sentance [sic] make sense" posting a few months back.

I know his sense of humor......and no, I didn't laugh. It must be a difficult job to try to maintain perfection at all times.

And I do have a sense of humor. I think you're funny.

Ooops....I started a sentence with AND!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:29 PM
The links are there, but where are the photos??

I did this:
Right click on the picture you want to post...go to properties...copy the URL of the picture...then PASTE the URL in the thread, and put [img] in front of the URL, and [/img] after the URL.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by lovetrucks
Ooops....I started a sentence with AND!!!!!!

THAT made ME laugh.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
The links are there, but where are the photos??

I did this:
Norm, you have to actually rigfht click the picture, then go to properties, you poted the LINK in the address bar...get the URL from the Properties "pop-up"

Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
92F-150_XLT attempted to grab his trucks *** once.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:40 PM
These are photos I took of where a guy about 85 years old left the road at about 80 mph.

Here he just left the road and headed over about a 20 foot embankment.

Here he continued down the embankment, headed for the remnants of the old highway.

Notice the culvert has been removed.

Here he did a spectacular jump, but never quite made it to the other side. He pancaked and drove his front wheels right up into the fenders. Bent the frame just in front of the paddenger compartment, wheels splayed out, but he still drove it back up onto the highway.
Must have been one heck of a surprise for him and his dog.
Sorry I don't have photos of the finished product.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I think I need practice at posting pics.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
We used to have fun "Yard Farming" in high school. Go around with our trucks and rut the crap out of people's we didn't know yards. We skipped school one day and yard farmed this gay dude's yard that went to my school about 10 times. His mom came out carrying the cordless phone and shaking it at us. Then she got roostertail all over her from my buddy's truck. We had to pay to fix their yard. That put an end to Yard Farming as we knew it.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I think I need practice at posting pics.

You can do that in the Testing 1-2-3 section found here.

Quick Reply: stupid things you have done with a vehicle