Things to do in Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to do in Seattle?

Hey all,

I'll be in Seattle next weekend (Feb 24-27) testing for a job, and the two things I need to do shouldnt take more then a few hours each day.

Anyways, I've never been to Seattle... and unfortunately I won't have a car so what is there to do around there that is easy to get to?

I don't want to sit around the hotel all day, and the bus system seems half decent. I'll be staying near the University of Washington just north of downtown.

Would like to get a feel for the city, as I may just settle down there!

Thanks

Old 02-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
well you have to go to the needle, starbucks seahawks (they are in group therapy) and look up its most likely raining.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Been there a few times -- a real nice city as long as you don't mind overcast skies!

The U of W campus is gorgeous -- take a walk around it! There's also an Irish pub downtown called "Kell's" that has gotten more than a few of my dollars -- a few cold draws, some live Irish folk music, and (if you're lucky) a few cute co-ed's hanging out around the bar!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 AM
It's unusually cold in the Seattle area right now, but it won't be anything like you're used to if you're from the midwest. It might even be dry and sunny. It was today. I live in Olympia, about an hour south of Seattle, but here's a quick list:

1. I see you are from Pittsburgh - don't wear ANY Steelers gear.
2. If you like music, go to the Experience Music Project at Seattle Center
3. Try to go to the Pike Street Market. Lots of stuff to see and do there - watch out for flying salmon! That whole part of downtown is pretty cool.
4. Your concierge should be able to tell you some good nightspots to hit in the neigborhood. In addition to coffee, Seattle is a great place to find good microbrews.
5. How old are you - since you're right by the UW, you could wander around campus and hit on sorority girls
6. There's a Scottish Highland Dance contest at the Museum of History and Industry just south of the UW on that Saturday. Just joking - unless you really like bagpipes... My daughter is competing there.
7. The Museum of History and Industry (mentioned above) has some cool exhibits that give you a good feel for where Seattle came from and what it chooses to remember about itself.
8. You could go out to the Ballard locks and watch the yachts. On a similar note, there are tour companies that offer boat tours of Lake Washington (between Seattle and Bellevue) or Elliott Bay (the western end of Seattle - part of Puget Sound)
9. Take the ferry to Bremerton and gawk at the navy ships - see how many famous carriers and cruisers you can spot.
10. Hit the bars/bookstores/shops at Pioneer Square. That's the neighborhood just north of Quest Field (Home of the Seahawks) and Safeco Field (Home of the Mariners)
11. Go to the International District (They're too PC to call it Chinatown, but that's what it really is)
12. I'm sure there is much, much more, but I'm tired and that's all I can come up with right now.

Miscellenous stuff:
It's always been my observation that Seattle is a VERY safe feeling city. I'm a dopey white guy from the sticks and I never feel uneasy in any part of Seattle at about any time of day or night.
People are often seen standing in the rain waiting for crossing signals even if there's no traffic.
Only tourists use umbrellas here.
There's officially no smoking in any public place (inside) or within 25 feet of a door or window...new law that went into effect this winter.
Everyone seems to drive a Subaru wagon or a Honda. They also wear Gore Tex parkas, shorts, and hiking boots year 'round.
Folks are polite, but not super friendly. Not as gregarious as in warmer cities. Gross generalization, I know.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by catch22
Hey all,

I'll be in Seattle next weekend (Feb 24-27) testing for a job, and the two things I need to do shouldnt take more then a few hours each day.

Anyways, I've never been to Seattle... and unfortunately I won't have a car so what is there to do around there that is easy to get to?

I don't want to sit around the hotel all day, and the bus system seems half decent. I'll be staying near the University of Washington just north of downtown.

Would like to get a feel for the city, as I may just settle down there!

Thanks
Well since you're from Pittsburgh I would keep that quiet!

Old 02-17-2006, 01:21 AM
have lunch at the top of the needle, go to the market and watch the guys throw the fish, there are all sorts of shops in the market
take a tour of underground seattle
I go to WA every year for elk season and my wife and friends wife go all over seattle while were hunting

Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritz_H
Everyone seems to...wear Gore Tex parkas, shorts, and hiking boots year 'round.

I forgot that part about Seattle -- I swear to God every girl in town looks like she's auditioning to be in a granola commercial!

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Boeing has an aircraft museum.

Howard Hughes's spruce goose is there.

I have never been but this summer i am going.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 AM
The space Needle is cool, plus the Rock and Roll hall of fame. The history museum was interesting, but you've gotta go to the Pike Street Market. A different sound and smell every 8 feet or so.
If you like sailing they have and Offshore racing Maxi boat down at the waterfront that has a really nice afternoon sail. Their favorite pasttime is to charge at the hotel on the waterfront (The one made famous by the Beetles) and then clear the dining room as the boom swings around within about 15 feet of the glass.
Seattle was one of the cleanest and safest cities I've ever been in. Never once did I feel threatened, and everything is within an easy walk. Have fun!

Old 02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
fritz_h,

isnt there a real nice micro-brewery right by pikes seafood market?

i thought it might even have been pikes micro-brewery, but its been a real long time since i was there.

i recall the place actually sold beer making supplies, had a nice restaurant, and i seem to recall that they had their beer menu on the tables and that menu gave the specific gravity of each beer.

i am pretty sure the place was called pike's brewery, and it is worth checking out.

also the puget sound is the home of the word famous gooey-duck. i'd look around and see if they sell gooey duck t-shirts, i am sure one of those t's would make for a real interesting conversation piece.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:58 AM
As a fellow Pittsburgh-er I would say...

1. wear as much black and gold as possible
2. rub it in their faces about loosing the Superbowl
3. pee off of the needle

best regards,

pgh_medic

Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
As a fellow Pittsburgh-er I would say...

1. wear as much black and gold as possible
2. rub it in their faces about loosing the Superbowl
3. pee off of the needle

best regards,

pgh_medic
1. You see in PITTSburg you wear the black to hide from the criminals and the gold to pay them off if they find you.

2. Like a typical PITTSburgian they cant spell.

3. In PITTSburg this is actually a type of VD test....its graphic so I wont explain it....its pretty common there though.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
1. You see in PITTSburg you wear the black to hide from the criminals and the gold to pay them off if they find you.

2. Like a typical PITTSburgian they cant spell.

3. In PITTSburg this is actually a type of VD test....its graphic so I wont explain it....its pretty common there though.

Wow Vader, still have that Napoleon syndrome over your spectacular football team?
I feel so bad for people like you....

Maybe next year....

ha ha...riiiiight....

Well, maybe shoot for an even win/loss season....baby steps my friend, baby steps....

Old 02-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Wow Vader, still have that Napoleon syndrome over your spectacular football team?
I feel so bad for people like you....

Maybe next year....

ha ha...riiiiight....

Well, maybe shoot for an even win/loss season....baby steps my friend, baby steps....
hey I'll give ya a win every 26 years....if you're happy with it than so am I.

I'll be nice to smack around the SB chumps when they arrive next year in Baltimore. We'll let Ed Reed show Polamalu what a real safety can do..

(man its a long time until it starts back up again)

Old 02-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
hey I'll give ya a win every 26 years....if you're happy with it than so am I.

I'll be nice to smack around the SB chumps when they arrive next year in Baltimore. We'll let Ed Reed show Polamalu what a real safety can do..

(man its a long time until it starts back up again)

Yeah, Ill be sure to resurrect this thread after we win....again....
By the way..how many rings do the Ravens have???

Thought so...

Quick Reply: Things to do in Seattle?