Jarhead

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dad's Hoss
....I have not read the book about Jarhead, but I hope the movie dose justice to the real story.

Anthony Swofford (the author), has been on the record stating that the movie kept to the intentions of his memoirs...

Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM
I miss being in the Guard. I was pretty much fulltime and really liked the life, but the guard scapes too many people from the bottom of the barrel, just taking up space in a uniform for me to stay in. I should have went regular army. But got caught up in money and greed.

I think this movie looks great and I see the Marines recruiters making enlistment copies, getting ready for the flood of new recruits. This movie is exaclty what the government wanted to see from Hollywood. Not everyone in hollywood is a yellow bellied liberal. This movie proves this. I think this will help all services in recruiting for the next few months.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
I miss being in the Guard. I was pretty much fulltime and really liked the life, but the guard scapes too many people from the bottom of the barrel, just taking up space in a uniform for me to stay in. I should have went regular army. But got caught up in money and greed.

I think this movie looks great and I see the Marines recruiters making enlistment copies, getting ready for the flood of new recruits. This movie is exaclty what the government wanted to see from Hollywood. Not everyone in hollywood is a yellow bellied liberal. This movie proves this. I think this will help all services in recruiting for the next few months.
I take it you haven't read the book? This guy is bottom of the barrel (and not just because he is a marine). He is mental. He is a dirtbag. He steals, he lies, he gets high. This isnt a patriotic Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan movie. It is supposed to be a realistic look at how the military really is. How combat now means being bored 95% of the time. The majority of people who don't like the book cite the lack of action. Swofford doesnt see much action. Some feel as though the whole book is just him whinning about not being able to kill anyone. It should be an intresting movie, one that I am going to see, but please dont think this is some ultra-patriotic government/USMC endorsed movie.

In conclusion I will see the movie when I get a chance and it will probably be good. But like always read the book if you want the real/whole story and then form your own opinion.

31C

Old 11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 31Charlie
This guy is bottom of the barrel (and not just because he is a marine).

31C
I hope you are trying to be funny about that crack on Marines? i will let you know right now that it is not funny, people saying things like that to bring down my beloved Corp **** me off, were you a Marine? if not how would you know? if so how could you say such a thing? i have had to do alot of things to protect this country and the Marines have always been there to handle bisness, please think before you type on who you could offend

Sgt Cuda U.S.M.C.
Semper Fi

Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This guy is bottom of the barrel (and not just because he is a marine).

31C
I would like to see what would happen to you if you said something like that in my presence.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne
I would like to see what would happen to you if you said something like that in my presence.

assclowns, no respect. i hope anyone would whoop their **** for saying something like that.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Smeezy 05 Screw
assclown

Yo mama.

[EDIT]

I thought you were referring to me.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Swofford is kinda out there, if you've read the book. There's one part where his buddy busts in his room just before he gets ready to burst three rounds through his skull with his M16. The book itself is a hilarious read, although I find it interesting that the Marine Corps actually supported the making of the movie, in providing tech support by active Marine Corps snipers.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
I hope you are trying to be funny about that crack on Marines? i will let you know right now that it is not funny, people saying things like that to bring down my beloved Corp **** me off, were you a Marine? if not how would you know? if so how could you say such a thing? i have had to do alot of things to protect this country and the Marines have always been there to handle bisness, please think before you type on who you could offend

Sgt Cuda U.S.M.C.
Semper Fi
Originally Posted by Smeezy 05 Screw
assclowns, no respect. i hope anyone would whoop their **** for saying something like that.

You guys need to calm down. I suppose I was wrong for expecting people on this board to be some what mature, although I was also wrong about my sarcasm showing through online (and it seems I can do nothing on here buy **** jamz off).

However, since I have offended all you former and current Marines, let me say 'sorry and thank you for your service'. Therefore any of you 'Semper Fi!' Marines that never once bagged on another American services (including reservist and national guardsmen), either jokingly or seriously, please PM/email me and I will give you my address so you can 'whoop my ****'

Otherwise please understand it is all inter-service fun and even though we sometimes say crazy things about each other, we still love each other (especially on a two way range).

31C

Last edited by 31Charlie; 11-04-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
You guys need to calm down. I suppose I was wrong for expecting people on this board to be some what mature, although I was also wrong about my sarcasm showing through online (and it seems I can do nothing on here buy **** jamz off).

However, since I have offended all you former and current Marines, let me say 'sorry and thank you for your service'. Therefore any of you 'Semper Fi!' Marines that never once bagged on another American services (including reservist and national guardsmen), either jokingly or seriously, please PM/email me and I will give you my address so you can 'whoop my ****'

Otherwise please understand it is all inter-service fun and even though we sometimes say crazy things about each other, we still love each other (especially on a two way range).

31C

Dude you never **** me off.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Yeah 31 Charlie, you gotta be careful man...

I cracked on KC-10 FE one time, and everybody on the site jumped my ****... One of my best friend here at work is a fly-boy; I would have been too, had my Army recruiter not been a walking, talking, living wet-dream...

But, after gettign called every thing from- Liberal to Liberal, I was like 'Dayum, all services poke fun at each other- but at the end of the day, we have each others back..." It's just a little ribbing, no harm done... We had Marines set up near us, and those SOB's came and stole my company commander's guidon, and replaced it with a pair of his underwear. That's interservice rivalry...

Now, if you have never worn either uniform, then you can't poke fun...

Well you can, but- then we might have to kill ya....

Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Jarheads

Squids

Fly-Boys

Weekend Warrior

Grunts

Need I say anything more????

I think the book sounds interesting!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The book is a really good read. If the movie followed the book, I think it'll definitely be worth the overpriced popcorn and drinks.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Jarheads

Squids

Fly-Boys

Weekend Warrior

Grunts

You forgot leatherneck

Old 11-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Jarheads

Squids

Fly-Boys

Weekend Warrior

Grunts

One more Chair-Force, also how much ground fighting was there in the Gulf War. It was mainly an air war.

Quick Reply: Jarhead