Toyota in NASCAR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
Thanks in part to the UAW. They sucessfully priced themselves out of a job AND the companies get to make moremoney sending thier jobs overseas. In the end Pedro is the one who wins since he has a decent paying job. The end users still pay a lot for a new vehicle and the companies (until recently) were making good money.

Hell parts of my 69 mustang were made in Canada, but it is still an 'American' car. JMHO

Even if it's made in Mexico, it's still American; it's just not made in the USA.

North America/South America; it's all American...

Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cia-agent
Even if it's made in Mexico, it's still American; it's just not made in the USA.

What?
I thought North America was like Michigan and South America was like Alabama.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
snip.....

What's CHrysler running now that the Intrepid is no longer with us...

They have the new charger

Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Originally Posted by dinty
They have the new charger
Yeah, I knew that- but is it alredy on the track? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen a race all season, and don't recall seeign any Chrysler products in any of the highlights?

Besides, that thing's about as aerodynamic as a Ram.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:21 PM
cia-agent is right that back in the day, like 60’s and 70’s cars that raced in the NASCAR circuit had to be available to the public. Remember the Dodge Charger with the super wing (70's)? They had to build like 500 for the public to even compete. Then after that they were not allowed after the first year, or maybe during the first year because they had a performance advantage over the other makes.

Personally I think that was the beginning of the end for “stock” cars in NASCAR…

Some people are not getting my point about Toyota being a foreign company. It don’t matter who they employ or where they buy their parts. In the end they are foreign and their money (profits) for the most part go home to a “foreign” land and not here in America…

Someone pointed out, correctly I might add, that the MAIN reason Toyota even has factories here is to save money on import taxes. It use to be that American companies that couldn’t compete with Japan’s quality in the 70’s and 80’s would cry foul and then have the federal government stick it to Japan with HUGE import taxes. They might be foreign but they ain’t stupid, they have the best of both worlds, NO import taxes and sending the paycheck to mama in Japan, Toyota IS a foreign company and will always be so…

Old 08-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
They still have their foot up our butts where quality is concerned.

The only cars made in teh USA that can stack-up against what Japan sends over are:

Trucks:
F-150

Mid/Full-size cars
Chrysler 300

Sports Car:
Chevrolet Corvette

Luxury Car:
N/A

We've improved a lot on our quality, fit & finish in most applications; but Japan has enjoyed such a lead in this aspect- that one day we may even match or surpass them in these areas and the average US consumer will not believe it...

That said- man, I love that new Avalon. I this Chris Bangle had a hand in designing that bad boy... (OR was at least mimicked)

I see some 7-series atributes in the interior ergonomics, and in subtle queues in the exterior design as well.

Not a bad car to target when designing your new flagship.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I knew that- but is it alredy on the track? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen a race all season, and don't recall seeign any Chrysler products in any of the highlights?

Besides, that thing's about as aerodynamic as a Ram.
yeah they have them...Kasey Kahne and Jeremy Mayfield run them, also some others I cant think of right now. as mentioned earlier, not the actual car, just painted to look like it. I also race one of my gamecube's Nascar Chase for the Cup(I'm addicted)

Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 PM

No it's not the same, NAFTA is a crock of chit, a free rifde for corporations, Mexican laborers, and the Mexican government and a burden to the average American consumer, but hey believe what you will. Congress no satisfied with their medling to this point want to create a CAFTA. WTF not right? I mean hell we can send MORE jobs down south.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 PM
They still have their foot up our butts where quality is concerned.

The only cars made in the USA that can stack-up against what Japan sends over are:

Trucks:
F-150

Mid/Full-size cars
Chrysler 300

Sports Car:
Chevrolet Corvette

Luxury Car:
N/A

depends on what the guage is for "as good as"

I don't see many Toyotas in police and taxi service. I don't think Japan Inc has anything that could take the abuse the Crown Vic can. Is it as refined as an Avalon? no. but there are those like me that would rather have long term durability than JD Power 6 month reliability.

I can't think of too many Japanese models that fit that criteria.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by J-150
...I don't see many Toyotas in police and taxi service. I don't think Japan Inc has anything that could take the abuse the Crown Vic can....
Now, I don't know what Japanese policemen and taxi drivers use for sure but, I don't think it's Crown Vics.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raoul
Now, I don't know what Japanese policemen and taxi drivers use for sure but, I don't think it's Crown Vics.

the russian police use crown vics.

not sure about anyone else

...zap!

Old 08-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by zapster
the russian police use crown vics....
Yeah, that Family Plan Pricing is popular.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Yeah, that Family Plan Pricing is popular.

Modern lend/lease program. They're waging war on pedestrians.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Another reason you don't see many JApanese cars in business as rental cars, police cars, taxi's, etc is because for years the manufacturers would not sell their cars under fleet agreement. Each car had to be purchased individually, and there was no "fleet" discount.

This among other things kept the resale value of Honda's, Nissan's and Toyota's above their domestic rivals.

Now, today you'll see an Accord or Maxima with that green "E" on the trunk, I don't know if they're available at fleet prices, but I'm startign to see more of them now. Years ago if you saw one Accord at a renatal car place, you had witnessed rarity.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
No it's not the same, NAFTA is a crock of chit, a free rifde for corporations, Mexican laborers, and the Mexican government and a burden to the average American consumer, but hey believe what you will. Congress no satisfied with their medling to this point want to create a CAFTA. WTF not right? I mean hell we can send MORE jobs down south.
Now, Congress has screwed some things up in the past, both democrat and republican Congress’s, but you can not blame NAFTA on Congress…

If you want someone to blame for NAFTA go to a mirror and take a good look. That is the person to blame for NAFTA, that is the person to blame for jobs going overseas, and that is the person to blame for the out sourcing of manufacturing work overseas.

Yep, the truth hurts but the vast majority of Americans, I would guess 80% plus, absolutely and totally agree with NAFTA and out sourcing as much work as possible overseas. They have and continue to prove this each and every day by looking for bargains and ONLY wanting to pay the least amount of money for products AND then demanding the highest possible pay.

The two don’t mix, if you want the lowest prices possible and the highest pay possible you can count on losing more jobs and work to foreign lands…

Quick Reply: Toyota in NASCAR?