Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zapster
you will see camreys on the nascar circuit next yr

there is toyota bodys? on funny cars in n.h.r.a. as i type

what is the world coming to?

...zap!
What he said ...Trust me there are already Toyota built Nextel/Busch series cars built in the shops down south,Just no-ones showing them YET...I know DW's shop has them anyway...

Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As American automakers form more partnerships with foreign automakers and send more and more work out of the USA (mostly to escape the crippling restrictions of the UAW), and companies like Toyota and Honda keep bringing more and more of their operations into the USA, it won't be long before the term 'American auto manufacturers' won't mean anything any more. We are quickly approaching the day where more money flows into our economy from Toyota and Honda than from GM and Ford. For someone to stand by the old 'buy American, Jap is crap' line is pitifully ignorant.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Suspended
Auto Racing is auto racing, why limit who can compete...Ford...Gm and Dodge are just a name plate, thier is nothing that is stock on thease cars....any automaker can compete in Indy, 24 Hrs of Lemans, F1, ect, if it makes the sport beter, than bring on the willing auto makers, The great American race is Corpurate race teams competing against each othier....Not Ford Vers Dodge Vers GM.......

Old 08-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
While it may be true that companies like Toyota build most or all the cars they sell here in America they are far from ever being an “American” company.

Its simple economics, the money Toyota makes goes home to Japan it does not get reinvested into America. While it’s great they provide Americans jobs the fact remains their loyalty is to the mother land, Japan.

Therefore, you can not equate American companies moving some work overseas and compare that to Toyota. Even when American companies move work overseas the money stays in America, for the most part…

Bottom line, Toyota is foreign...
My cousin works at the Honda engine plant in Ohio. When these Honda and Toyotas are screwed together in the US, along with major US vendors supplying metal, interiors, etc., then what makes you think most of the money goes back to Japan? Paying wages and components make up a lot of the price of the car doesn't it?

And at least Toyota and Honda are adding workers and factories in the US while the big 3 are going to Canada and Mexico.

Look at Chrysler! They build Dodge Rams and the Hemi engine in Mexico and are owned by Germans. Where do you think the profit for that Dodge Ram or 300C goes to? Not Detroit that's for sure, try Germany.

There is a poster on this board that works at a Honda Motorcycle plant, ask him what he thinks about the products he builds.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey burning rice at this point in time would be cheaper than burning gas!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
My American ford F-150 was made in canada... where was yours made????

Old 08-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the overwhelming responses everyone

While it may be true that companies like Toyota build most or all the cars they sell here in America they are far from ever being an “American” company.

Bottom line, Toyota is foreign...

I agree with that

I wonder what what happen with the manufacturing of these cars in the US if we were at war with Japan.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by jimmy k
Thanks for the overwhelming responses everyone

snip>I wonder what what happen with the manufacturing of these cars in the US if we were at war with Japan.
snip<

This statement make no sense at all. ?????????????????

Old 08-15-2005, 06:53 AM
Thumbs down

Maybe I'm 'old school' but I still root for the brand. I don't care which driver it is, as long as a Ford powered vehicle wins. Yea I know they are all shaped the same and it's hard to tell them apart, but there's still that vinyl logo on the car. That means there's bragging rights at the end of the day. I don't watch the truck races since Toyota was allowed to participate, and will most likely not watch as much Cup either once they invade.

DW went to the Dark Side in the truck series, now he's on my list. It'll hurt to see other drivers make the move. I guess I'm just not happy with the Japanization of America.

MR

Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 AM
i wouldnt buy anything with a Toymota in it would u?

Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Toyota IS a foriegn company. The only reason they have factories here is to avoid the steep import tax if they had to ship all their cars here from Japan. the only reason that they invest a friggin dime in America is so they can make more money. Make no mistake, it IS all about the money. OTOH I don't know which is worse, Toyota motor company or the UAW. They're cripling the auto industry IMO.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM
how redneck is this thread.....don't you fools know that the majority of your trucks parts are "made" outside the U.S. ...I'm sorry folks....but the days of a true American vehicle are over thanks to outsourcing to cheap labor....

Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by wstahlm80
how redneck is this thread.....don't you fools know that the majority of your trucks parts are "made" outside the U.S. ...I'm sorry folks....but the days of a true American vehicle are over thanks to outsourcing to cheap labor....
Thanks in part to the UAW. They sucessfully priced themselves out of a job AND the companies get to make moremoney sending thier jobs overseas. In the end Pedro is the one who wins since he has a decent paying job. The end users still pay a lot for a new vehicle and the companies (until recently) were making good money.

Hell parts of my 69 mustang were made in Canada, but it is still an 'American' car. JMHO

Old 08-15-2005, 10:47 AM

I don't disagree, but look at it this way... Toyota builds their plants in the US south. NASCAR is very popular in the US south (compared to "blue" states)

Toyota PR strikes again. I'm thinking that Toyota could sell freezers to Eskimos. And the media falls for it and plays it up like they are the second coming.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
I'd love to see Toyota, Nissan and Honda enter NASCAR. As )1 XLT said, under the skin, those NASCAR cars are essentially the same- they just have a shell on them that resembles the stock cars that they are supposed to be; I thought that was a NASCAR rule back in the day. (That the cars they raced had to be available to consumers). Of course, not race-spec, but to at least have the same shape.

I have yet to find a 2-door Taurus on a dealer's lot.

But, can you imagine the drag coefficient of a Solara or Accord in race form, with RWD and 700 HP?

I have a feeling the Domestics would be chasing tailights.

What's CHrysler running now that the Intrepid is no longer with us...

Quick Reply: Toyota in NASCAR?