My Weekend Project - Retaining Wall - Now With FINAL Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Naw, not tired yet.

I was gone for a week and a half "selling" fireworks in another state. I was so busy I didn't have time to check in here. Didn't even have time to check my e-mail on a daily or even bi daily basis. I think I checked it once while I was there. and only did one project for work on the laptop. Was on the phone alot to take care of everything back here at home. I kept thinking to myself "I wonder what the guys (and gals) on f150 are talking about." But I just didn't have time to check and see. Kind of makes me feel worthless because everything went so smooth here at home while I was gone and nobody from here missed me. I am glad to know that I have a good group of people to take care of me here at home if I can't work for some reason though.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PSS-
I didn't intend to get you all wound up on a major rant. But I should have expected it. And it isn't the typos, I don't mind them at all. It's the blatent illiteracy that I find so bothersome. If you wish to try and explain illiteracy away as 'typos', then go ahead. Sorry for mentioning it. I'll never bring it up again (although I'm sure you will, repeatedly).

Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting twist on my wall here... LOL!

Old 07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by serotta
I'll swing by the Orange store in the AM. Thanks for the tip. Mine will only be three or four choruses high I hope.

You know, if the company would send you to the Charlotte area for a three or four day job, I could have all the materials ready for you and you could moonlight and have my wall done before the flight home.

Of course I would withhold all beer till the wall was complete!
Money talks man... belly up to the bar!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Let me see if I got this right.

You...
  1. Dug a hole in your yard
  2. Then put rocks around the edge of the hole (rocks that you paid money for BTW :even more comfused LOL
  3. Then, put the dirt back in the hole plus added more dirt to fill to the top of the high dollar rocks.

If it went the whole length of the slope to slow erosion.
Then I could understand.

If it was the whole length of the slope at the base of the slope about 8' - 10' high. Then you took a dozer and pushed the top of the hill into it and added dirt as needed to level the yard for a certain use.
Then I could understand it.

But currently it looks like way more time and money than I can even phathem spending for a flower garden. River rock works great for my wives flower gardens... I just lay them down in a predetermined layed out pattern. Then build a wall until level. Then back fill.

Just my 2 cents.
Does look like a good wall though.
1. Not Really. I dug along the edge of where the berm was to go so that I could get a flat space to place the stones.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. 3.5 yards of topsoil/compost.

Thanks for all of the analysis on my project PSS...

RP

Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That wall...err...landscaping scene looks fantastic RockPick! Good job. You deserve a nanner... You ever thought about making a frog pond made of creek rock with a waterfall? Now that'd be a project.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 PM
LOL I said you were totally right. I even went back and fixed the grammar error so I wasn't ranting.
If you were wrong then I would rant.
If I were wound up then it would have been a full on attack, not jokes on myself.

It's more a typo and or grammar error than illetracy. Those are 3 seperate things just like sale and sell. (Here is a small attack: If your going to correct somebody for thier grammar make sure your grammar is correct as well. Use your words correctly too!) Simply I am thinking one thing and my fingers type it different. It's like when I am typing about limousin "is a cow" and type limousine "a car". Farmers don't want to buy a strecthed car. They are looking for a cow. LOL You know the old saying "listen to what I mean not what I say."? Well I guess that applies to my typing too. Read what I mean not what I type. LOL
I know what each one means, I know they are different. I just don't catch them until I reread what I have wrote or typed. There is roughly 100 words +/- that I constantly pretty much expectedly do that to when I am transposing from paper to paper or thought to paper. I only catch them 1/2 the time and only then if I go back and reread it once or twice. It's a creative writing vs editing thing. That's not even a good anology... Post are like rough drafts before it would be considered done you would go through it and fill (opps, I almost spelled "fill" as "feel" wouldn't want to be illeterate. I better fix that. LOL) any way, fill in more details, look for misspellings, typos and grammar. Then send it to the editor to spell check and look for grammar.

Dude I promise you didn't get me wound up. I am pretty laid back and extremely light hearted. You would have to threaten to hurt someone in my family, one of my friends, or let me find out that you have hurt a kid, or a woman to get me wound up. You can even threaten me personally and I'll just laugh. Critique doesn't bother me a bit I just make jokes out of it. (Like I tired to) Then I'll try to watch for that same mistake later if I can, so that I might try to prevent making the same mistake again. Maybe you helped me correct it (doubtful) but maybe, we can always hope.

Although your tactic could use some honing on the social skills level. It was nothing for me to get wound up about. But because of your tactic I could see why you might expect me to get wound up. Also why you would go on the defense instead of laughing at me when I was making jokes about myself. I'm just guessing but people probably get irritated at you often if that's the kind of tactical approach to common critique that you ussally use. That is unless I have done something to tick you off some time prior that you just couldn't take it anymore and need to lash out. Then by all means lash away. I'm here for ya buddy.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
1. Not Really. I dug along the edge of where the berm was to go so that I could get a flat space to place the stones.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. 3.5 yards of topsoil/compost.

Thanks for all of the analysis on my project PSS...

RP
No problem RP. Just wanted to make sure the process was as I thought... Still dont understand the logic behind it. (J/K) Also still don't understand why you paid for rock! Couldn't you have just grabbed a few from work? LOL

Sure does look good though.

I have to say that I am impressed in another way too. Besides the craftmanship and attention to detail that you always have. Just to have the incentive and patience to get out and mess with rocks or dirt after spending a 40+ hour week with them is admirable. Hats off to you on a job well done!

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 07-06-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Moderator &

Here's the Completed Project:

We chose 'green' items that will grow in after a year or so... this is why much of the area seems a bit bare at the moment. Also, there will be some color back here year round...

Next project: A deck.

RP

Old 07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
i'd better not let mrs zap see this...we need 2 of them..one at the end of where we park so all the gravel won't keep washing down the yard(theres a reason i have a dump truck ) and one near the lake so we can level off the yard good job rp
...zap!

Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
OUT-friggin-STANDING RP.

You sure you didnt hire some illegals to do the labor for you? Not saying you dont know what your doing, it's just common down here in Texas.

Was anyone offended by this post?

l-menace?

Good.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
That looks AWESOME.
Great job ...

Old 07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Very wel done sir. Alot of hard wurk, but the end resault it very nice. Were did you say you bought the rocks again?

Old 07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Moderator &

They're not rocks you silly keyholes...

Old 07-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Personally, if I got here before I would have said stay away from the willows. They're a pain the mow under, but it doesn't look like you'll have trouble with that.

Quick Reply: My Weekend Project - Retaining Wall - Now With FINAL Pictures!