Mercruiser and other Marine Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a "Boat Techie" LOL But I'll be glad to try and help if I can.

I can't wait till thursday to find out. Go get it and yank them off tonight. LOL
If you start tonight you might beable to have it out this weekend...

BREWDUDE,
What was that tip for pulling them that you have for him?

Old 05-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, now I gotta give away one of my tips...this is gonna cost you guys...

Ive seen so many guys struggle with manifolds, wether its taking them off or putting them on. They are heavy and can be awkward to hold onto, as well as being in an extremely tight spot, if the motor is still in the boat. Pull one bolt out of the manifold. Now get yourself some threaded rod, some studs, or some longer bolts and just hack the heads off with the same threads. Make sure they are at least 1 to 2 inches longer than the original manifold bolt. Pull the very fwd and the very aft bolt out of the manifold. Screw the studs in the holes you just took the bolts out of. Pull the rest of the bolts out and slide the manifold off the studs. This helps you control the manifold, you can hold it in place with one hand while taking the rest of the bolts out, put your tools down and then grab it with both hands and be able to take it off with out killing yourself or damaging anything else. Same goes for putting them back on which is the best part. Slide the new gasket on the studs, slide the manifold on, install one or two bolts, pull the studs out and install the last 2 bolts. Its a real easy tip, and some people may think that everyone should know this, but trust me...I learned the hard way. I would also suggest taking the spark plugs out just in case. If you happen to drop the manifold 9 out of 10 times, it's gonna drop right on the plugs and shear everyone of them off.

OH...I almost forgot...DRAIN THE MANIFOLDS!!!!!!!!!! BEFORE you take them off. Pull the hoses off and drain them and pull the drain plugs which should be at the bottom of the manifolds. If you dont do this, as soon as you pull it off, all the water in it will run right into the cylinders.

Good luck EDDY, its not a hard job at all, you'll be fine doing it. Like I said, just pull the plugs and crank it over to see if theres any water in the cylinders.Let me know if you need anything.

PSS-MAG..are you doing this to yours as well?

Last edited by BREWDUDE; 05-24-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by BREWDUDE
As far as I know I'm not at this time.. LOL

Handy tip to know for future events that are sure to come my way.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:41 PM
BTW:
I "think" that I did find my leak(s)
One is the brand new brass threaded drain plug I installed a few weeks ago. I twisted one of the screw heads off when installing it. I thought that I had enough sealant on it to hold it, but apperently not. Should be an easy fix, just rotate and put 3 new #8 brass screws in with more sealant.
2nd culprit looks like it's around the Gimbal housing. On observation looks like I will have to pull the lower unit and engine AGAIN! (is it OK to scream now?)Not so easy so just going to try and squeeze some sealant between the hull and the housing to slow it down for now. Then install an automatic float switch for the bilge. Then next time I have to pull the engine out I will get and install a new Gimbal gasket.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 AM
This weekend we plan on pulling the old manifolds and getting any water out of the engine. Any recommendations beyond manuallyu turning the engine and spraying oil in the cylinders?

Originally Posted by BREWDUDE
Man, now I gotta give away one of my tips...this is gonna cost you guys...

Ive seen so many guys struggle with manifolds, wether its taking them off or putting them on. They are heavy and can be awkward to hold onto, as well as being in an extremely tight spot, if the motor is still in the boat. Pull one bolt out of the manifold. Now get yourself some threaded rod, some studs, or some longer bolts and just hack the heads off with the same threads. Make sure they are at least 1 to 2 inches longer than the original manifold bolt. Pull the very fwd and the very aft bolt out of the manifold. Screw the studs in the holes you just took the bolts out of. Pull the rest of the bolts out and slide the manifold off the studs. This helps you control the manifold, you can hold it in place with one hand while taking the rest of the bolts out, put your tools down and then grab it with both hands and be able to take it off with out killing yourself or damaging anything else. Same goes for putting them back on which is the best part. Slide the new gasket on the studs, slide the manifold on, install one or two bolts, pull the studs out and install the last 2 bolts. Its a real easy tip, and some people may think that everyone should know this, but trust me...I learned the hard way. I would also suggest taking the spark plugs out just in case. If you happen to drop the manifold 9 out of 10 times, it's gonna drop right on the plugs and shear everyone of them off.

OH...I almost forgot...DRAIN THE MANIFOLDS!!!!!!!!!! BEFORE you take them off. Pull the hoses off and drain them and pull the drain plugs which should be at the bottom of the manifolds. If you dont do this, as soon as you pull it off, all the water in it will run right into the cylinders.

Good luck EDDY, its not a hard job at all, you'll be fine doing it. Like I said, just pull the plugs and crank it over to see if theres any water in the cylinders.Let me know if you need anything.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
EDDY..as long as all the spark plugs are out you can turn the motor over using the starter. You actually want to use the starter, this way it will spin faster and actually throw the water out. Again..just make sure all the plugs are out first so you dont bend any rods or anything.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that you've posted pictures, I'd say you stole this one - even if the whole engine is junk. (By the way, we sold Celebrity's for many moons - before they tried to turn them into 24 foor Sea Doo's with whacko styling.)

As to your question on the manifolds, although it is possible to only have cracks that leak outward, the likelihood of that is about zero. You're going to have to replace them anyway. On a boat of that vintage, consider it a safe investment anyway. Besides, they're not that expensive.

As for the block possibly being cracked, the best way to tell is to run the engine for about 20 minutes in a launch ramp or off the hose. If the block is cracked, you'll see it as a "milk shake" effect on your dip stick. (Water getting into the oil.) If in doubt, just bring it to a reputable marina and they can test the motor to tell you for sure. I have seen blocks that were "winterized" and still cracked. The main cause? Somebody pulled the drain plugs, but didn't punch the drain holes out to remove the silt that built up in the cooling passage. Enjoy your new boat!

Old 05-25-2005, 11:58 AM
I've also seen cracked blocks that are leaking externally, and not internally as well... But this will be obvious as there will be water spraying or trickling out....

Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
The more I read on the internet, the more I think my block is probably cracked too. I wont know for sure until tomorrow afternoon. And you all wont know till Tuesday.
What are the chances the block is fine and just the manifolds busted. Both blew out. I dont know anything about the engine because I havent looked at it yet. Trying to prepare myself for whats ahead.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:21 PM
My guess is its cracked as well... But i'm an auto guy, and don't know jack about marine engines

Block crackage is more common than one might think.....

Old 05-26-2005, 06:46 AM
Good news. It is possible that just the manifolds are bad. Even the best of us miss something once in a while when winterizing. (But not me!) Look at the bright side, even if the whole engine is junk and you have to replace it, you'll still have one sweet deal - maybe with a new motor! As you also heard, pulling a boat motor is a ton easier than pulling one out of our trucks because everything is right out in the open. Of course there was this one Celebrity I worked on ... But that's another story. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 AM
If it ends up being an engine swap case, I have a few tips that I can share that I learned from people when I pulled my engine a couple of weeks ago and BREWDUDE has hundreds. The guy that helped me put mine back in installs I/O's at a factory here and he shared several tips that he uses. So if it does come down to an engine replacement scenario... Don't worry it is not a big deal at all as far as the work that is involved.
Skill level involved... If you have a basic understanding of vehicles then I'd say it's a 4.25 of 10 on the difficulty meter.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey 2stroked..ever pull the motors out of a 36' or bigger SeaRay? What a PITA..there tucked way back under the part of the deck that doesnt come up. How about the generator..I had to pull a motor once just to get the Genny out..I hate SeaRay

Old 05-27-2005, 01:20 PM
BREWDUDE,

Yup, in fact I've assisted on worse. How about a big Carver where we had to cut the floor out before we could pull one. Then there's the famous 28' Checkmate with twin 454 Mags where you have to pull one motor (and set it aside) just to pull the other. Seems that the manufacturers forget that when the deck is off, things go in easier. We even had an 18' Celebrity where they slapped the deck on and one couldn't pull the Flame Arrestor off because the deck was too close to it. (Jack, where's that saw - again!) My personal un-favorite is still Bayliner though. We sell Fountain, Crownline, Scout and Bennigton right now. They're all pretty decent to work on. Have a nice weekend! It's gonna be a zoo!

Old 05-27-2005, 01:48 PM
I hear ya bro... We cut the salon floor out of a 50' Hatteras just to get the transmissions out. That was pretty crazy. We sell Robalo, Topaz and we are the worlds largest Rinker dealer as well. In the past month Ive delivered at least 5 new Rinkers a week, if not more.

Today hasnt been to bad YET,,im sure tomorrow is gonna be a total ZOO..Good luck. Try to enjoy the weekend as much as possible.

BREW

Quick Reply: Mercruiser and other Marine Engines