Mercruiser and other Marine Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, aside from ebay, can you all recommend any good parts dealers I could work with. Its a 4.3L 190hp Merc from a 1991 Celebrity.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much it's the same as a car as far as mechanics, it's just a lot LOT easier... LOL
I pulled my out drive and engine last week, had it back in with less than 20 man hours wrenching time. First time of pulling a boat engine EVER!

The main difference in mechanics is the cooling system in which the manifolds are now part of. Basically the outdrive picks water up out of the lake sends it to the engine, then it leaves the engine through the Exahust where it goes back into the lake. Since the lake will never get hot, thats why we dont need a radiator. Becasue of this a marine engine cooling system also has more volume and less psi than an automtoive.

So a cracked block may not be apparent until you get it started. Put some muffs on a garden hose on it and start it in the drive. It might be enough water you could see it that way.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by EddyG88
Also, aside from ebay, can you all recommend any good parts dealers I could work with. Its a 4.3L 190hp Merc from a 1991 Celebrity.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
EDDY...take a look at the picture..the outside holes are where the cooling water runs thru, the big center hole is where the exhaust from the engine is,its a straight shot to the cylinders. You can see that if the manifolds crack, rust out and get holes in them, or the gaskets fail at the matting surfaces, the water will enter the exhaust passage and run down into the cylinders. Heres a link that you may want to check out as well. I think he gets a little deep, but check it out anyway. It may help you a little bit.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/exhaust_risers.htm

Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Ohh God!
Like I needed something else to worry about... Mine probably hasn't been off since 1976... A few years past his recomended 4 year inspection! But mine has always been fresh water too. I wonder if that will buy me an extra 30-40 years? LOL

Old 05-22-2005, 09:15 PM
LOL...not sure about an extra 30 or 40 years, but freshwater is a deff. plus. Salt is such a killer to marine engines. Thats why everyone is coming out with salt eaters and flushes for the motors. Volvo actually has a system called Neutra Salt..it has its own tnak filled with the magical liquid and its plumed into the water jackets and hoses. After your done for the day, just turn it on and it neutralizes the salt water in the system.

EDDY....any luck yet? Did you get the boat?

Old 05-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Yep I bought the boat. Tell me this isnt a deal. A mint 1991 Celebrity 190 19' open bow ski/runabout. I/O Mercury Mercruiser 4.3L V6 and drive on trailer with spare for $1500. The boat has never been left in the water more than 24 hours, its in great shape, except for the engine. We bought it with the worst case scenario in mind (new motor), but as it stands right now, it has been run every year on the weekends with no problems, then this year when it was started, he noticed the manifolds spraying water and turned it off. He opened it up and found some water from the manifolds in the engine. The previous own thinks it was just the manifolds cracked but it could be the block (unlikely). I wont have the boat in my posession till thursday and I will go from there. Brew, I will be bugging you and others more, I promise.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Eddy sounds like a deal to me...

The only point I was trying to make is that marine engines are essentially an automotive style engine adapted for marine use not vice versa. Didn't mean to upset ya'll.

If the block is cracked (like my brother-in-laws case) we just pulled the Mercruiser strait six and swapped out the block to a reconditioned GM 250 I6 block, and put all the mercruiser internals into the block. Less than 200 hrs, the original owner did not winterize it, and it froze and split the block from stem to stern.....

Ended up being cheaper than an actual marine long block, but his internals were like brand new, and I did all the building since I had experience

Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
This guy thinks its only the manifold, not the block, but we will see.

When he says the manifolds, he is just talking the exhaust though right? Or does the intake manifold pump water through it too? I wasnt sure if the intake was was cooled like the exhaust was or what. I found exhaust manifolds on ebay for around $150-$200 but not many intakes.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:59 AM
NAH...should just be the exhaust manifolds. EDDY..awesome deal man, Even if you have to put a new motor in it. Thats the kind of deal im looking for.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Here it is:

Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Old 05-23-2005, 02:57 PM
NICE...looks like its in great shape man..Good find

Old 05-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Holy Crap!!!
That's a freaking steal... Jump on that for sure! Thats what I gave for mine and it's a 76 tri hull, AND I am having to completely redo the whole interior on mine. Definatly was not any where near that nice nor in that good of shape! Don't let it go... You will kick yourself later if you do!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Paid for it last night. And got some more info on it. He winterized the block but I guess didnt take care of the manifolds. So both manifolds have cracks and spray water into the engine compartment. It is very likely that the block itself was winterized and did not crack. Is it possible that the cracks in the manifolds only cracked on the outside and didnt spray water into the engine itself? It looks like this whole thing is going to cost me a new set of manifolds. I am hoping they just cracked on the outside and not into the inner air chamber. Oh well. I wont know for sure till I get them off on Thursday. Full report and pictures on Tuesday after memorial day for all the boat techies to review and help out.

Quick Reply: Mercruiser and other Marine Engines