Anyone know anything about pianos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know anything about pianos?

I have an old piano that I'd like to get rid of. It's not in the best of shape, though.

I was curious if anyone knew of any good way to get it appraised or maybe just a good place to sell it. I think it weighs a little more than my truck did though. It took 4 of us with colons bulging to move it...

I really hate to part with it, but I just don't have room for it, and it's sitting at my mother's, and she's tired of it. I can't play piano, but she can and it has a really good sound. Reminds me of the old westerns where there's a guy sitting in the saloon playing... it has that old time sound. I looked it up at one time and knew more about it. All I can remember now is that it was made sometime between 1900-1910...

Any help is appreciated...

Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I hope this isn't too bad of news, but the piano probably isn't worth that much.

Generally, you can pick up what you're describing for between FREE - $250.00 if you're lucky. The modern age of electronics have made "Acoustic" box pianos worthless any more.

We bought my daughter a casio to start lessons on about 4 years ago, and when she convinced us that she was going to stick to it, we went and shopped around alot for pianos. We found that those, like what you have, are a dime a dozen anymore, and the list of people that restore and tune them is very small, and wasn't worthwhile.

We ended up buying a Roland piano that feels just like a box piano, but sounds incredible. Plus, you can set it up for MIDI or amplify, or anything. It's just so incredible what the new ones can do, but it's made the old one's obsolete.

If the one you have happens to be of some high class name, you might add another $100.00 to the above estimate.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope I'm not out of line, but it sounds more like a white elephant than a piano. I've recently done some major housecleaning, discarding trailer loads of crap that I've saved for years because it was 'valuable'. Well, I'm tired of living like a packrat. And by getting rid of the old, saved, scrounged crap I've made room for some real improvements in my standard of living. Think about the guy with the old sedan up on blocks on the side of his house. It's a 'valuable' car to him though.

You don't even play piano, so what good will it do you? Your mother plays but she doesn't want it. Do her a favor, as well as yourself, and get rid of it (no matter the 'cost').

Yeah, call me an A--hole because I don't sugar-coat very well. I can take it.

Last edited by RockyJSquirrel; 04-01-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought one when we forced my daughter to take lessons. Built around 1910. Paid $150.
Had a tuner/apprasier come to the house.
On the phone, from the desciption I gave he didn't sound too promising. He said they were difficult to tune, if at all, and didn't hold a tune well. He said they were usually worth less than $100.

After he tuned it, he told me I had come across a rose among thorns, it tuned well and was worth about $500.

I'd sell it for $150 though, so long as I have no part in moving it.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
I was at a auction this year and they had a nice older upright piano . it sold for $10.00 it looked great

anyways the Lady that bought it walk over afterwards and started to pop off the ivory from the keys thats all she wanted left the piano behind .. apparently they use the lvory keys to paint pictures on

Old 04-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Hmmm... Well, I wasn't looking to get rich. Just thought it might be worth something, but that's pretty much what I expected. I always assume if it's worth anything it will never end up with me. I never seem to find those million dollar antiques at yard sale kinda thing... Oh, well...

anyone want an old piano?

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about pianos?