IMO, an interesting observation...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SAJEFFC
I agree. We need to go back to the ole cowboy justice days...50 cent bullet and $2.00 pine box!
I agree only save even more by useing a $10 Rope and recycle it several times! Let them dangle for a week or so in the town square as a reminder to all of us. Then turn thier body over to the family and let them take care of the burial cost. If no family then a $2 pine box.

For the ones that have not committed a hanius (Sp?) crime but is sever enough they can not be trusted in society. Then we should make them foot soldiers and send them to search for and fight our terrorist or otehr enemies. If they do die in battle, then I guess God sorted them out. Atleast they would be making a contribution to society instead of leaching off of it then.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: IMO, an interesting observation...

Originally posted by webmaster
With all of the talk that came out of our Presidential election about media bias, I thought it would be interesting to take a "snapshot" of the current headline (5:30pm ET) about the Pope's condition. The so-called liberal media focuses its headlines on the Pope dying, while the conservative media focuses its headlines on the Pope living.

Feel free to discuss...

Those accused of liberal bias:
=====================

1) CNN.com - "Vatican: Pope deteriorating"

2) USAToday.com - "Pope's heart, kidneys failing - Vatican says pontiff in 'very grave' condition"

3) NYTimes.com - "In Grim Update, Vatican Says Pope's Condition 'Very Grave'"

4) CBSNews.com - "Pope Hovers Near Death"

5) WashingtonPost.com - "Vatican Reports Pope's Condition Worsening - Vatican officials are beginning to accept that death is close at hand."

That accused of conservative bias:
========================

1) FoxNews.com - "Pope Clings to Life"

2) WashingtonTimes.com - "Pope clings to Life"

I've noticed what you seem to be getting at here, too. Liberal biased media outlets tend to focus on the negative, or what's broken. While Conservative outlets tend to emphasize the positive or how to fix it. I hope I'm not reading more into it than you intended. This observation is a generalization that applies to individuals of both idealistic persuasions as well. Just not universally.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I just DON'T like paying Taxes, yet Republican's will Spend Millions of dollars on One bad guy to fry him and cut that money from an after school program that actually HELPS kids stay out of trouble in the first place. Just doesn't make since to me..

Old 04-02-2005, 03:42 PM
he got someone we been trying to get for a while. and were still looking for the hodgie rag head osama. anyone remember the movie SWAT where LL cool jay and samuel L jackson are chasing down the black kid and they finally catch em some old black women complains aint u got nothin better to do then arrest black people he said yeh whatever u wouldnt be complaining if he were breaking into ur house. so if u think about it like this yeah the person may not have murdered or raped or brutilized someone of relation to you... but set an example for the future criminals u will come in contact with. u could be next or someone close to u will then ur opinion changes.. so remember always think of the future...also think of it this way back in the days of probably urselves when u could get swats from coaches or the principal or even a teacher for smarting off hell u learned now days corporla punishment is not alowed and its obvious parents dont dicipline thier childeren like they use to... school shootings good example and the rise in drug use and so forth.. but im tired... im outa yall i'll be posting later

Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by serotta
With all due respect to Steve for trying to make us think, I have a different question regarding the Pope and his ultimate demise.

I noticed the Italian press just said the public will know when the Pope has expired. The doors to his balcony will be closed, and the light in the room will go dark. Also, it has been tradition that when a new Pope is chosen, smoke rises from the vatican.

My question, Why the hell do the Vatican officials need to talk to the rest of the world by "sign" language. Doors open if alive, closed if dead, lights on if alive, closed if dead, no smoke, no Pope, smoke, Pope, why can't they just step out front and say he's a gonner, or we got a new one!

What's this issue with communication through signs?
It is all about tradition now. You need to realize there have been something like 265 Pontiffs, dating back 100s of years. There wasn't a Nextel long ago. It was an easy way to communicating with the masses, without phones or even printing presses. Of course now the traditional helps Catholics (I'm not one) realize that while the Pope has died everything is progressing as it should and to have faith.

Jim

Old 04-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Re: IMO, an interesting observation...

Originally posted by webmaster
With all of the talk that came out of our Presidential election about media bias, I thought it would be interesting to take a "snapshot" of the current headline (5:30pm ET) about the Pope's condition. The so-called liberal media focuses its headlines on the Pope dying, while the conservative media focuses its headlines on the Pope living.

Feel free to discuss...

Those accused of liberal bias:
=====================

1) CNN.com - "Vatican: Pope deteriorating"

2) USAToday.com - "Pope's heart, kidneys failing - Vatican says pontiff in 'very grave' condition"

3) NYTimes.com - "In Grim Update, Vatican Says Pope's Condition 'Very Grave'"

4) CBSNews.com - "Pope Hovers Near Death"

5) WashingtonPost.com - "Vatican Reports Pope's Condition Worsening - Vatican officials are beginning to accept that death is close at hand."

That accused of conservative bias:
========================

1) FoxNews.com - "Pope Clings to Life"

2) WashingtonTimes.com - "Pope clings to Life"
There is definitely a bias, where you perceive it exists, is generally based upon what your political leanings tend to be.

I would be one who leans toward the "culture of life". I am against your typical "death culture" viewpoints of euthanasia and abortion. However I don't know that I picked up a difference in the reporting of say CNN vs Foxnews with regards to the Pope.

I've read a ton on media bias and it does exist, in both directions and yes your typical "Mass media" outlets are liberal, very liberal. Now that the Pope is dead I think it will be hard to tell a difference in the reporting but I'm gonna watch for it now.

Jim

Quick Reply: IMO, an interesting observation...