IMO, an interesting observation...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by serotta
With all due respect to Steve for trying to make us think, I have a different question regarding the Pope and his ultimate demise.

I noticed the Italian press just said the public will know when the Pope has expired. The doors to his balcony will be closed, and the light in the room will go dark. Also, it has been tradition that when a new Pope is chosen, smoke rises from the vatican.

My question, Why the hell do the Vatican officials need to talk to the rest of the world by "sign" language. Doors open if alive, closed if dead, lights on if alive, closed if dead, no smoke, no Pope, smoke, Pope, why can't they just step out front and say he's a gonner, or we got a new one!

What's this issue with communication through signs?
I don't think that the catholic church ever does anything without some sort of arcane ceremony.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks PSS-MAG!

Old 04-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by BHibbs
Thanks PSS-MAG!
Now, that's pathetic!

Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Something I was thinking about. The Catholic Church seems to be very pro life. If the Pope is put on life support then when do the Cardinals elect a new Pope? He is not awake so he can't "retire" and they can't pull the plug to let him expire.

As a side note I thought it ironic that one day the church came out and stated Terri's feeding tube should be put in then the next day they reported the Pope on a feeding tube.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by 1depd

As a side note I thought it ironic that one day the church came out and stated Terri's feeding tube should be put in then the next day they reported the Pope on a feeding tube.
It was the only feeding tube in the house and everyone knew the Pope would get first dibs on it. They (Vatican) just wanted to make it look good by offering it to Terri first. Politics and religion, never far apart!

Whose got that silver hammer? Maxwell make off with it again?

Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Very interesting topic indeed.

While thinking about this, I've tried to stay away from the Libs VS. Conservs debate, but in every route I take, the contrast between the two stands out. It would take more posting space then one thread could hold to delve too deeply into this topic.

In whole, the entire globe and the things happening right now all over are very exciting in light of Biblical prophecy though.

I'm pumped!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by 1969Mach
Very interesting topic indeed.

While thinking about this, I've tried to stay away from the Libs VS. Conservs debate, but in every route I take, the contrast between the two stands out.
Makes me proud to be a moderate, I can just make rational decisions without following any pre-planned ideaology. In other words, if I'm filling the glass, it's half full, if I'm emptying the glass, it's half empty. It's not about being positive or negative, it's about what I am doing.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Hippie media- some important dude in like Italy is still grooving man

Gothic media- Devil ready to claim victory over pope

Redneck media- Man with a goofy hat and purty shirt is only firing on 4 cylinders

Native American media- man who holds office that condemmed our ancestors is soon going to meet angry ancestors

Al Gore media- Florida is recounting whether death or life will win the state's votes

IT media Motherboard and RAM are failing at increasing speeds

Thats all the news coverage i could think of and none of it was meant to be rude, just funny.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Just an observation here. The past two weeks I've heard the claim tossed about that liberals are for a "culture of death" while the conservative republicans are for a culture of life. Here's where I get confused...don't most republicans support the death penalty? GW Bush allowed over 150 people to be executed while Governor of Texas, even though he could have intervened on their behalf. Is this the culture of life he was speaking of last week? I understand these people were criminals, but was it not possible some of them could be rehabilitated? I heard many times last week that who is man to play god? Well isn't a judge and jury sending somebody to their death exactly that?

Old 04-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by kamikaze2b
......... I understand these people were criminals, but was it not possible some of them could be rehabilitated? .................
Why would society want to rehabilitate someone who has already proven they have no respect for human life?

What is the thought process a judge, jury, psychiatric facility will go through?

"Let's see, you have killed someone, but maybe we can subject you to enough rehabilitation/brainwashing where you may be able to go back out into the masses and not kill again. No guarantees mind you, we might be wrong, but we think it's worth a try, hell you didn't kill anybody I know the first time, and with all this rehabilitation/brainwashing, you likely won't kill again, and if you do it probably won't be me or mine, so go ahead and try it on your own again...."

Is that really a chance the average American wants to take?

Old 04-02-2005, 07:46 AM
texas has the greatest inmate population.not a very high crime rate but stenr police system and many citizens put real criminals in jail. and like Ron white says " see here in texas we have the death penalty and we.... USE IT!!!" does anyone know that it costs 36,000 a year to keep a prison in macimum security facility. or that it costs 22,000 for the avg criminal serving a sentance at a medium security prison... the numbers add up when u come to think of the hundreds of thousands of people we have in prision. so since these are our tax dollars and someone kills another person in cold blood or premeditated<spelling should we keep him alive for 50 years X $36,000 =1,500,000 now do u wanna spend that much money on a low life just to keep him alive hell he's gonna die in prison were not going to proll him.. what do we want him write a book make some money??? kill em he's gonna die anyways. save us so money hell.... 1.5million would go a long way per city... in this state and others... maybee even lower gas prices.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Texas has the 17th highest Murder rate in the Nation. That's Higher than California and New York...

The Average cost for a Death penalty case in Texas is 2.3 Million.

Last edited by BHibbs; 04-02-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kamikaze2b
Just an observation here. The past two weeks I've heard the claim tossed about that liberals are for a "culture of death" while the conservative republicans are for a culture of life. Here's where I get confused...don't most republicans support the death penalty? GW Bush allowed over 150 people to be executed while Governor of Texas, even though he could have intervened on their behalf. Is this the culture of life he was speaking of last week? I understand these people were criminals, but was it not possible some of them could be rehabilitated? I heard many times last week that who is man to play god? Well isn't a judge and jury sending somebody to their death exactly that?
Here is another way to look at your statement:

Republicans, generally the “culture of life” do indeed support the death penalty, while the Democrats, generally the “culture of death” support rehabbing and letting those convicted and sentenced to death go free in society.

We know from more then 100 years of historical fact that many murders, child molesters, and other very sick people can NOT be rehabilitated they will kill again and child molesters will rape and kill little children again. Therefore by not allowing these individuals back into society and simply ending their life will PROMOTE life rather then continued death.

Therefore, “the culture of life” supports holding people personally responsible, accountable for their actions and sometimes that means ending their useless life in order to promote life for innocent individuals who have personal responsibility.

Liberals, in general, have taken this country to such a point that a great deal of respect for human life has been faded away. Liberals, in general, have taken this country to such a point that more people face the death sentence then would have, had the liberal agenda never been introduced into laws. You know the ”It’s not their fault…”

Don’t blame the “culture of life” for problems the “culture of death” has set forth. If more people where held accountable for their actions earlier in life and were made to answer for their mistakes much earlier you would more then likely have many less people facing the death penalty…

I have and feel no mercy for those that take the life of an innocent person or child and feel they should die as soon as possible since they are useless and do not deserve to breath my air and eat my food…

Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by BHibbs
The Average cost for a Death penalty case in Texas is 2.3 Million.

It could be a lot cheaper if we could end their useless life within the first year instead of waiting for 20 some years...

Old 04-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
It could be a lot cheaper if we could end their useless life within the first year instead of waiting for 20 some years...
I agree. We need to go back to the ole cowboy justice days...50 cent bullet and $2.00 pine box!

Quick Reply: IMO, an interesting observation...