Wal-Mart Virus

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howell, (relatively small city) had a walmarts, closed it to open the Superwalmarts.

Now I live in Lansing. Yeah they are all over

Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 PM
The Jacksonville Florida area. Not sure of population, but under 500,000. We have at least 14 Walmarts within 30 or so miles. Also have at least 2 Sam's

Old 04-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Juneau, Alaska, population approximately 35,000...no Wally World...no Sam's club and no other towns within 30 miles. There are plans on the table for a Home Depot sometime down the road

Old 04-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Lost Angeles . . .

I've not seen one in LA County (Although I'm told there are a couple)

With something like 10 - 12 million people in the county, the ratio is very very low . . . almost zero.

They are not liked here. The Walton Gang tried to build one in Inglewood or someplace and the city voted NOT to allow them to build. That has happened now a couple of times around here.

I have never heard a good thing about them as far as business practices are concerned, and if what I hear is true, then I'm glad they are not welcome here.

We have a number of some store called Costco. I've been in them a couple of times with friends . . . no thanks!

I don't care how much money you save, or how big the package sizes are . . . the lines were unreal and they didn't even provide bags!

I'll take Gelson's any day, thank you very much. There's a lot to be said for SERVICE and no crowds / lines.

Last edited by kobiashi; 04-02-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:19 AM
anyone ever shopped at food town? wow its cheap... like 6packs of all name brand sodas are all 99 cents.. umm my had has some where he works down by houston in sugar land. he on avg buys 48 items and around 23-25 bucks.. its cheap and they have sales all the time. they are usualy where walmarts are not cause thier massive competition in the food sale department. i think i heard some rumors walmarts trying to buy em out cause food towns are hurting their business in alot of areas. we need one here..

Old 04-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Food Town down the street from me, never been to it. I prefer the Krogers.,,,,98

Old 04-02-2005, 07:33 AM
yeh i aint been in a krogers in a while ... lol mostl just walmart and HEB here in my town

Old 04-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Hey, just think........

In 10-15 years, we are all going to have the same choices for ALL, and I mean ALL our goods:

1) Wal-Mart Supercenter
2) Wal-Mart Grocery Stores
3) Wal-mart Convenience Stores
4) Sam's Club

Kiobashi,
Your right about their business practices. They are very demanding and ruthless when it comes to working with their suppliers. I work for a Beer Distributor and Wal-Mart has spent close to $1 million just on lobbyist to have Texas law changed to where they can recieve shipments direct from the brewery without having to go through a distributor. They would end up over buying by truckloads, and when the beer expires, they expect the brewery to buy the expired beer back from them, which the brewery would expect the distributors to buy it.

The problem lies in the fact that Wal-Mart drives profit margins down for manufacturer so far that they are forced to cut corners in the processing of their goods to keep afloat. It makes the manufacturers/suppliers forced to sell/produce more just to turn a slight profit.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:58 AM
One more thing.......

Did you know that Wal-Mart doesn't pay taxes?

They are considered "non-profit" because they re-invest every dime to build more and more stores.

Wal-Mart claims to be American, but not paying taxes is about as un-American as an Apple Pie made in Taiwan.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Virus