Leyland Cypress's

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leyland Cypress's

Hey guys, I have a few questions about some Leyland Cypress's. I hope there are some landscapers on here.

I want to put up a 6' privacy fence in my backyard. Now two neighbors planted some cypress's as a natural boundary between there backyard's and mine. Right now the cypress's are only about 5' tall. I know cypress's get big, but my question is who is going to win the battle a fence or a cypress if they are right against each other. I am hoping the cypress is too young and their growth will be stunted along the fence.

The neighbors behind me moved in before me and they planted those trees on their property but the branches have grown over into my yard. I asked the guy if he would cut them back but he said it would kill them. He said he would tie them back while they are installing the fence.

Do I need to get nasty with guy? Or is the fence going to stunt the cypress's? Also what is the cypress's root system. Down or out?

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 PM
We don't have those in this area because I don't think they're hardy in USDA zone 6 (where I live). However, I've seen photos of them full grown. I wouldn't think you'll have too much trouble unless they're like right up against the fence. I doubt a mild pruning will 'kill' the trees, by the way. People get stupid about pruning and he's probably just saying that because he doesn't want you to prune them at all.
I'm not too sure about the roots, but I doubt you'll have any issues there. But again...I have no experience with that particular tree. I know maples and spruces can have roots close to or at surface level which can be a pain in the rear if they're not your roots and you're rather have a soft lawn in that area.

Anyway...hope that helps...probably not...lol I have done a 'little' landscaping around my place...maybe it's like a hobby of mine?
http://www.pbase.com/kygarden/garden_photos

http://www.pbase.com/kygarden/nikon

http://www.pbase.com/kygarden/grass

Old 08-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Wow! Now that's some landscaping. I don't have one tree or flower on my land. I moved in 2 years ago, new house, and haven't gotten around to the outside. This fall will be different.
Those are some great pictures too. I assume you took all of them. You have a great eye and camera. What kind is that? I dabble in photography. Got a Rebel 2000 SLR and a Olympus digital.

BTW, how did you like Gatlinburg? My wife and I are getting a cabin out there in November to celebrate our 1 year anniversary.
Hopefully, I'll get some good pics as well.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks. Yes, I took all the pictures...and I did all the landscaping too. My wife won't touch even a blade of grass, so I do everything outside. Some of the pictures are from a Minolta DiMAGE 5 - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimage5/
I no longer have that camera. I replaced it with a Nikon D70 - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

Gatlinburg is great. We go every year. We always stay right downtown so we don't have to pay to park and it's nice to get up and just walk down somewhere for breakfast without having to drive. Cades Cove is a nice drive and great views. The Chimney Tops is a nice hike up the mountain if you like hiking. Takes about 2 hours I think.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 AM
I'm not a landscaper but here are a few facts about the Leyland Cypress:

This tree will grow 60 to 70 feet tall and 12 to 20 feet wide. Heights of 70 to 100 feet are not uncommon.

This tree tolerates severe trimming, and can be restrained at an early age with pruning.
I found that to be of particular interest since your neighbor said it would kill the trees.

The Leyland Cypress has a relatively shallow root system. I would guess that in digging the holes for your fence posts you will more than likely damage a few roots.

Some interesting info I found surfing:

Property owners have the absolute right to trim back a tree's branches and roots that reach over into their yard. The property owner only can prune up to the boundary line. Hopefully the pruning will be done correctly, however, you should exercise caution before trimming back branches that might interfere with your property line. You want to avoid the problem of the whole tree coming down and possibly subjecting you to liability.

Although many consider trees as aesthetic enhancements to their property, your neighbor might deem your tree a "private nuisance." Legally, a private nuisance is the wrongful interference with the use or enjoyment of the land of another.

This is just stuff I found online, you should probably check your local laws before doing any pruning. I hope you and your neighbor, his trees and your fence can get the problem resolved.
lariatf150, awesome pictures!!

Last edited by wild-mtn-rose; 09-01-2004 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Leyland Cypress's