For those of you who still care about freedom in this country

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sirket
I... you... oh nevermind. I've already said I give up. You have won. I concede defeat.

-Don
Actually you have not been defeated. I think we actually agree on much more then we disagree and perhaps get a little hard headed with our positions. I understand what you’re saying and for the most part agree with your positions on the economy.

I know its much more complex then I will even understand but I do sincerely believe and from past experiences that tax cuts do play a big role. I think where we butt heads is because I go a little harder trying to prove my point as do you.

I absolutely agree with you that tax cuts are not the end all for how the economy behaves. So let me try to state my position a bit different and see what you think.

I know there are many other things that can affect an economy many of which no one person, or body of people can control, such as supply and demand, weather, world events etc. However I believe there are two things that can affect the economy that a body of people can have a direct affect and that is tax cuts/hikes and interest rates.

Continued next post...

Old 01-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Those two things can if not done correctly have a serious affect on the economy, such as raising taxes. Less in my pocket is less money I can spend and that means less product sold. Higher interest rates means it cost business more money to do business and most if not all of that higher cost in business is passed on to me the consumer and again, less money in my pocket means I am buying less product.

Higher interest rates not only affects business itself but the consumer as well. It is basically, in my opinion, like a tax hike because it means I will have less money to spend if my credit card interest is higher then higher payments, car loans, home loans ect will be affected with higher interest rates and means my money will buy less…

I will say this and that is the one thing that has always burned me up, not about you, but in politics in general is they always have to ask ”How are we going to pay for this?” when it comes to tax cuts.

No one ever ask that question, well its rare, about how much a new program is going to cost, or how are they going to pay for it. They never ask how are we, the people, going to pay for a tax hike.

So my position on deficits and taxes remains. I do not believe, not with the current tax rate, that tax cuts cause deficits but the “unlimited” spending by both parties.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:49 PM
I... you... oh nevermind. I've already said I give up. You have won. I concede defeat.

-Don
OMG! My world has just been turned upside down. A liberal has conceded defeat in a debate against a conservative. If I see Chicken Little, I'll just *****.

Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

-Don
Don, You think you can get off that easy after 18+ pages of post back and forth? Ha, you might know reams about economy of scale, but you know nothing about 01.
Begin formulating your pledge now. The wording will be checked and re-checked. No fancy loopholes, no semantics games. Just a plain and simple statement pledging that you will deliver one (1) vote to the "W" ticket in the next election.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a plain and simple statement pledging that you will deliver one (1) vote to the "W" ticket in the next election.
Nah. I just put a deposit down on a house in southwestern British Columbia just outside of Vancouver. I've decided the only way to beat Bush is to move to a different country.

-Don

Old 01-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Nah. I just put a deposit down on a house in southwestern British Columbia just outside of Vancouver. I've decided the only way to beat Bush is to move to a different country.

-Don
I had a lot of friends and family do that between '68 and '70. Of course most of them were between 18 and 21 years old at the time. They've all come back and I don't think Bush can get them to leave again.
Good game plan though, it really is beautiful around the Vancouver area.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:43 PM
A liberal has conceded defeat in a debate against a conservative. If I see Chicken Little, I'll just *****.
Odin,

How many liberals do you know that are:
1) Against affirmative action
2) Against big government
3) Against a strong federal government
4) Against gun control
5) Against seatbelt laws
6) Against welfare
7) etc. etc. etc.

I'm also not a conservative because I am:
1) Against school vouchers
2) Pro-choice
3) Against big deficits
4) etc. etc. etc.

-Don

Old 01-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Odin,

4) Against gun control
5) Against seatbelt laws
6) Against welfare
7) etc. etc. etc.

2) Pro-choice
3) Against big deficits
4) etc. etc. etc.

-Don
It's like I stated which I believe we agree on much more then what we do "not" agree on...

Old 01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Odin,

4) Against gun control
5) Against seatbelt laws
6) Against welfare
7) etc. etc. etc.

2) Pro-choice
3) Against big deficits
4) etc. etc. etc.

-Don
I don't know why; but, I really enjoy the reaction the word liberal gets from you. I just can't help myself. I'll try curb the impulse in the future.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Just to clarify:

I am against affirmative action because I have seen it abused so badly that it makes me nauseous. I know wealthy guys who put their company in their wife's name. A company owned by a woman who also happens to be a minority can get government contracts that the rest of us can not. That alone doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that this guy is worth millions of dollars. Why should he get preferential treatment?

Self explanatory.

4) Against gun control
Anyone who is capable of restraint and takes the time to get certified should be allowed to own whatever gun they want.

5) Against seatbelt laws
I _always_ wear my seatbelt. When anyone drives with me they have to wear theirs. That said, it is none of the governments business if I do or I don't.

6) Against welfare
Set aside jobs/job training for people fine. But free money? No thanks. Besides which the welfare system in its current incarnation basically prevents people from rejoining the workforce.

I've seen how amazing public schools can be. I've also seen just how bad private schools can be.

2) Pro-choice
I don't ever want the government telling me what I can do with my body. Moreover, I will never be pregnant so I don't believe this is any of my business.

3) Against big deficits
I'd like to be able to afford to live a few years from now

-Don

Last edited by sirket; 01-19-2004 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Many jobs, the ones that the democrats are currently whining about ”President Bush lost over 2 million jobs” is for the most part, directly related to NAFTA, and that is something that was done during the Clinton administration…
Just another note on this, but a lot of the jobs (computer related) and people being out of work are due to flooding in the job market.

Computer work was associated with good money, and all of a sudden schools popped up, people got there degrees and flooded the job market. It was the in thing, just like friggin *buzz words* and new diet fads.

Some people were making way to much money for what they did, companies were hiring like crazy, etc. and when the economy started to go down and the companies were forced to cut cost, one being outsourcing.

So flooding the job market did have huge impact on that.

Quick Reply: For those of you who still care about freedom in this country