Need Computer isp dsl set up help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Computer isp dsl set up help!!!

OK, I use verison dsl through a router that I share with my girlfriend. this morning neither computer could get on line. She "played with the wires" and now her computer works and mine doesn't. All the connections are fine. It appears my ip adress got nuked some how. It says "obtain ip adress automatically" yet when I click this, nothing happens. I have restarted my computer and cant make it work. HELP!!!!! What am I doing wrong??????? I can't make it "obtain" an ip addy. I tried typing in the addy from my girlfriends computer and that sad it didn't mathc the submask or some crazy stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 11-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Try this first,

Go to Start and select "Run..."

Type cmd in the space provided and hit "OK"

Now type ipconfig /release at the c:\ and hit enter

When that is done and the c:\ returns, type ipconfig /renew and hit enter.

Minimize the cmd window and try to access a web page. If it still does not work, then you probably have something in your configuration settings that needs adjusting.

Let me know how it works, I will try to help more if I can.

Ox

Old 11-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Hi, thanks for helping.
Just tried this. It says "operation failed as no adapter is in the stte permisible for this operation"

That sounds like my card or something is screwy no? But when I go to connection it says connected at 100mps. Like it will only let me on lan, not internet? I dunno?

Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Huh....never seen anything like that before. You said you are connected to a router, can you access your gf's pc on the lan?

Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 AM
Hmm, probably could by what the computer is saying, but I never figured out how to do this...sharing printers and stuff

Old 11-20-2003, 12:15 AM
Wondering why my computer is dropping my ip addy. I open broadband utility help and it lists my gateway addy for a split second then get a red x saying not connected

opps also says "not connected to network"

Old 11-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Ok, give me some history. I have a cable connection with a router at home, so I know a little about this. I had some problems in the beginning too.

First of all, I am suspicious of your NIC. These things go out all the time and would not surprise me if that is your problem.

Here are some questions for you:

How old is your computer?

How long have you had your dsl connection?

What kind of modem and router do you have?

That is good for starters, let me know.

Ox

Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 AM
OK not sure what NIC means net interface card? MSN something I'll check

computer is 2 yrs old dell inspiron laptop 99mhz pretty decent until now!

My gf has had this dsl for about a year. I added my computer this summer.

Lynksys router
westell modem

Old 11-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Sorry, yes NIC means network interface card.

Ok so you connected to her router that already had an established connection earlier this year. If you have been connecting all this time without any problems, and if noone has changed any router configurations recently, then my guess is that it is your NIC. Sounds like it has gone bad. You will probably need to replace it. This is pretty common. Sometimes they last 10 years, and sometimes 2 years. Without actually sitting there and physically looking at your equipment, that is the best I can come up with. But it honestly sounds like a fried NIC to me.

By the way, if your laptop is only 2 years old, then it is undoubtedly more powerful than 99Mhz. It is probably more likely to be in the 1.2 - 1.5 Ghz range. Probably a Pentium III.

Sorry I can't help you out any more than that. I was hoping it was something more simple than that.

Ox

Old 11-20-2003, 12:35 AM
Hey thanks for all your help! Opps again I meant 900 mhz!!!! Well, i'm going to bed but I'll either try again or break out the sledge hammer in the am!

Old 11-20-2003, 12:40 AM
No problem. Maybe someone more wiser can see something I can't. 900 Mhz is much better

I wouldn't break out the sledge just yet. Sounds like you have a decent machine. Seriously, a bad NIC isn't a huge deal. It is a little harder to replace on a laptop than a desktop, but still more than doable. I would call Dell and see how they handle replacements like that if you aren't up to doing it yourself. Otherwise, you probably can take it to a Best Buy or Comp USA or something like that to get it replaced. If it costs you more than $50, than someone is ripping you off.

Good luck,

Ox

Old 11-20-2003, 12:59 AM
What version of windows? You'll have to go to the device manager and enable the NIC adapter. You'll have to right click on `My Computer`, go to `properties`, go to the `hardware` tab, then go to `device manager`, then go down to `network adapters`, and one of them will have a yellow excalamation point or a red X on it. You go to properties of that adapter, make sure that it is enabled and ready for use, then apply that, and you may have to access the GUI page of your router and set up the local area connection on your computer. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2003, 09:19 AM
ok, some basic stuff for you to check. Turn EVERYTHING off.

Then turn on your DSL, wait till it shows it's connected to the outside network.
Turn on the router, give it 30 seconds.
Turn on YOUR computer and see if it works. Check the router and see if connection lights come on and check the network card and see if the connection lights are on on it. If the lights aren't on and you have a good cable (you can try switching cable to make sure) then there is a problem with the router or your network card. Try switching the cable to another port on the router (ie. the port your GF is using.) and see if a connection light comes on. If you don't get any connection lights it's most likely your card. If you do get connection lights then I would go through the settings. One thing you can try is going into the hardware devices and removing the card from there and then reinstalling it if you remember how to do it. Make sure you have TCP/IP installed and DHCP enabled. Do all this with your GF's computer off or disconnected. If there is a problem with the router then her computer might grab the only available internet connection before yours can.

Doing all that can at least narrow down what the problem might be. Don't want you to run out and buy a new NIC if it'll do the same thing.

Edit: it would help with guiding you if we knew what version of windows you have.

As far as you networking the two computers together I wouldn't suggest doing more than printer sharing if you're running win98/ME, they just aren't secure enough IMHO. If you have 2000/XP then it can be done fairly easily. If one is XP and the other is win98 then it can get tricky. I'd have to know how you're setup to suggest anything for you there. Networking is cool, you only need one printer, scanner, etc. You can utilize HD space on the other machine if you have one that's running low. All kinds of stuff. Gaming is fun too

Last edited by ViperGrendal; 11-20-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Hehe, right after I left this site, my gf's computer crapped out too! Finally back up after some verison tech help. Seems my router decided to play games. Thanks to all those who tried to help me!

Quick Reply: Need Computer isp dsl set up help!!!