Any Golfers on here? Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
This is just another media stunt for the women in my honest opinion.

I'm not in any way shape or form sexist but, the fact of the matter is that the LPGA exists for a reason... as does the WNBA, LPBA, etc...

Simply a publicity stunt...

RP
True, for most sports women can not compeate with men, just a fact of life, different body builds etc. It is like the difference between a cat and dog...

Old 05-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Precisely 01 XLT.

Granted there are some women out there that will kick any man's butt in certain things, the fact remains that they are few and far between due to simple anatomy and hormones.

If we required all 'professional women athletes' to compete directly against men, there would be an uprising to provide professional women's sports...

A double edged sword.

RP

Old 05-15-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by tbird9768
I think VJ is just scared.
Nick Price said it was for publicity. Yes, he's right. Colonial gave her an exemption. And she'll do the best she can.
Notice that she is not really talking it up like she could be. The only people that are making a stink are the idiotic anachronisms that think that females should go back to the kitchen (get real). This could be the only men's tournament that she ever plays in. And if it is and she does OK, it'll make someone some money and bring more publicity to the game. Nothin' wrong with that.
I still like Nick, but VJ can go back to Fiji and play with sticks.
Go Annika!!
As someone who this actually effects I do have an opinion.
First off Annika has not qualified to play on the PGA tour. She is given an exemption to play a very revered tournament and facility Colonial Country Club by the sponsor Mastercard (Colonial did not want to grant her the exemption) - one of the great golf courses and clubs in the world. Alot of guys have "earned" the right to play on tour, some fully exempt some conditionally exempt, want to obviously play in the 4 Majors and the Tour Championship, but there are other events that are high on the list: Riviera CC, Colonial CC, Harbor Town, Memorial. These are great courses and they bring good publicity if you do well which helps w/sponsors when negotiating. Plus it is always fun to play the "Old great tracks".
***What guys are mad about is that she is being handed a spot that otherwise would go to a more deserving PGA tour member. Someone that has earned the right to play on the PGA Tour, not a "sponsors exemption", which is usually given to a PGA Tour member who is otherwise not exempt (past champions, local college players with promising careers...etc.) or sometimes a PGA Member who has earned a spot thru local qualifying.
Personally, I think it's a risky situation for the LPGA and Annika. If she plays poorly - ( like she and Karrie Webb did on the made for TV night at Bighorn) well use your imagination, the LPGA goes down the toilet and remains known as the "Dykes on Spikes" tour.
Colonial is a tight tough golf course. If the greens a firm and fast they will be something she hasn't seen much of and will be very difficult for her.
I'm as curious as the rest of the world, I just think Colonial is not the place for it. A club with its history should not be made to have a circus show such as this.
If I had to bet - she misses the cut.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:29 AM
You know, for a redneck, you sure know alot about golf.
People have this all basackwards, this has little to do with sex, ahem, gender, I mean. Rather, the issue is MR. monday qualifier, Mr 144 in the field. the last man. Guess what, you get to be outside the ropes today, isn't that great? Annika is going to take your place today. Nope, just because.
You do like apples don't you.

This is the issue, logically, I believe Annika(all women) should be allowed to enter the qualifying tournaments held each year. Play from the same tees, the same challenges, equal. This is the point, isn't it?
No prob, let's see the best play. But not like Annika is doing it; I don't have a problem with her playing in a PGA event, as long as things are taken for what they are. Annika has been given an honorary token for her feats in her realm; this is an award, a ceremonious gesture, not a lever, and is unfair to be portrayed as anything other.
Annika, and others know where the door to the Pga Tour lies, she can go through the three qualifying stages like the rest of the hopefuls, and if she, or others like her want to make it on tour,
Shut up and hit the ball.

Old 05-15-2003, 11:21 AM
I sure should.

I have no problem with Annika, she's just taking an opportunity that was handed too her.
My problem is with Mastercard turning a great old club into a circus side show all because Tiger wouldn't show up to their event which will cause poor ratings. As usaul, if you want an answer
***FOLLOW THE MONEY***

Old 05-15-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm with ya R.F.

Just once I would lik to see Shaq dunk on Sheryl Swoopes, that ought to add a litle perspective.

Just like in ethics class, take the idea to a maxim run it up the flagpole and see if it flies.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Moderator &

ANNIKA'S 15th HOLE SHOT...

Turtle activists everywhere are outraged and plan on boycotting future Annika media events.

News at 11.

RP

Old 05-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Thats gonna leave a mark

Old 05-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RP comes thru again

Old 05-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Fast Gator
RP comes thru again
Ya like that eh?

Old 05-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the BEST pic you have come thru with RP

Old 05-23-2003, 11:27 AM
RP and his animal pic's...

Old 05-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Moderator &

Yeah... I'm not showing you the majority of the 'animal pics'. LOL!

Old 05-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Boy, Do I have egg on my face. (No Really, Do I have egg on my face? I had scrambled for breakfast and got really messy.)

Annika missed the cut, and won't play this weekend. Bummer! Still, She did pretty good considering the huge amount of pressure heaped on her. There is a lot of PGA Tour winners who don't make the cut every time. Now, let's just see how long it takes for VJ to start spouting his verbal diarrhea again. Any bets???

Old 05-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Moderator &

It was a noble effort but she came up short.

I still don't agree with the decision to have her there but, I can't take the fact away that she played damn good golf.

Quick Reply: Any Golfers on here? Need Opinions