Lamborghini Diablo @ Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Spike Engineering
IMO, the only thing one could learn from those photos is to avoid hitting the wall.
Well that is a pretty important thing to learn.

Right up there with breathing.HEHEHE

Old 02-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by VINNIE
Well that is a pretty important thing to learn.

Right up there with breathing.HEHEHE
I never learned how todo that. Is there any places that can provide lessons or something??

Old 02-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ker
I look at events such as this as an instructional tool. If one can understand (or try and figure out) what happened and learn something. Then maybe you (or someone else) can avoid a similar situation. Whenever, I have an excursion outside of the normal, I sit down and try and understand what happened and what i could do to avoid it or handle it better.
Exactly!!!! Even if the cause cannot be determined, if it makes the rest of us stop and at least think, it just might save someone from an incident also.

My guess is in line with Ker's. He crested the hill (remember, you are basically blind at that point) and the driver discovered that he was off line and tried to correct by either turning the wheel while the rear was unloaded, let off the gas, or worse yet tapped the brakes. The rear started coming around, he over corrected, the car continued coming around, and slid into the wall. (The reason I throw in the overcorrected part, is that would explain him going off the inside part of the track rather than the outside)

Brian

Old 02-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Shound have zigged instead of zagging.

Old 02-19-2003, 02:27 PM
All I can say is OW WEEE! That had to hurt! I saw the strecher out I hope the driver (and Passenger?) are OK. It sucks to crash no matter how much $$ you have.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by VINNIE
Before you shoot the driver, take a look at this pic. Seems a lot of cars have gone that route.

VINNIE
I agree completely. I have seen dozens of cars go off right there. What you can't really appreciate is the dropoff coming over the hill-completely blind turn, off-camber, with the road dropping out from under you. Very challenging section of the course.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Ayrton

Turn 10A did not used to exist--just *****-to-the-wall acceleration down the back straight, suck it up, and blast over the hill with every bit of courage you have. It's kind of like the corkscrew at Laguna. Some Road Atlanta locals locals call it "the elevator shaft."

Old 02-19-2003, 07:39 PM
I have been to RA plenty of times and this things happen all the time. Last time I was there I saw a brand new M5 lose the rear in T5 and hit the tire wall. Then later that day a 911 Turbo hit the wall also somewhere.

Old 02-19-2003, 07:49 PM
After careful analysis, using computer technology, I'm pretty sure he was driving along, sounding like buuuuuuuuu, buhhhhhhhhhhh, buuuuhhhhh, oh ****! , screeeeeeeeeeeech, bump, wtf?, rrrrrrrrrrtttt, rrrrrrrtttttttt, splat , bif, pow, ..........................

psssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttt,

Old 02-20-2003, 06:54 AM
You could have warmed me, I see the first three pictures and I'm getting wood, then all of a sudden WAM
it's GONE

Old 02-20-2003, 10:46 AM
How do you explain that to your friendly insurance agent who you know will be totally raping you from now on.

"Well, you see, there was a new Lambo, expensive...then there was this wall, concrete....then there was this forward motion at a high rate of speed towards the wall......now I have this expensive pile of scrap metal..."

Hey, I wonder if the Lambo will be like every other car and be all messed up and not normal after they fix it????

Old 02-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Banned
I was talking to my friend who works for panoz motorsports last night and he said they got a call from state farm, aparently this guy tried to claim it on insurance and they called up to the track to find out some stuff.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Turn 10A did not used to exist--just *****-to-the-wall acceleration down the back straight, suck it up, and blast over the hill with every bit of courage you have. It's kind of like the corkscrew at Laguna. Some Road Atlanta locals locals call it "the elevator shaft."
While the chicane was needed, it did take the "fun” (terror?) out of the “gravity cavity”.

The back straight is long, and you could build up serious speed, and then have to make a blind, downhill right hand turn, and this was after the car bottomed out in the “gravity cavity”.

* sigh * we need a track day at RoadA

Old 02-20-2003, 10:27 PM
What happened to the pics? Can someone post them or email them to me? Thanks jameslhunt@coastalnow.net

Old 02-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Ayrton
While the chicane was needed, it did take the "fun” (terror?) out of the “gravity cavity”.

The back straight is long, and you could build up serious speed, and then have to make a blind, downhill right hand turn, and this was after the car bottomed out in the “gravity cavity”.

* sigh * we need a track day at RoadA
My first race in 1978. Peter Gregg kicked major ***. This shot is looking down Turn 12. Gives one a better idea of what the Lambo owner was up against.

Quick Reply: Lamborghini Diablo @ Road Atlanta