F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

05 F250 potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 F250 potential purchase

Looking for some feedback about a truck I drove 2 hours to look at today...

It's an 05 F250 XLT SuperCrew 6.8 w/4.10LS, 6.9' box. Pretty clean for its age with no body rust showing. Average rust underneath for a Michigan truck, but the front mounts for the bed appear to be badly rusted... like to the point where I can make the front of the bed move a little if I lift hard on it. I'm wondering if it would be relatively easy to weld in reinforcement to fix this. I don't want to be the guy driving around with his bed tilted forward hitting the back of the cab...

About 97k miles on the motor, which sounds great/quiet and has no obvious fluid leaks. They said the exhaust system passed their inspection, but I don't know for sure that there aren't any broken studs, though I did ask. They have no documentation of plugs being changed, so I'm anticipating changing plugs ASAP. I'm assuming they're the 2 part plugs, so know I might be looking at some breaking.

The dealership replaced upper and lower ball joints, alignment, typical fluids/filter service, and replaced the exhaust system.

They originally had it listed for $17,998, then dropped the price to $15,998 after it didn't sell for awhile. I offered him $12,014 as that was Edmund's TMV. He said that was way too far off, that Edmund's didn't account for "supply and demand" and asked if I could do $14,500. I offered him $12,500 and he told me that he didn't think his manager would take that deal, so I thanked him for his time and left to get lunch. He called and left a voicemail while I was eating to ask if I could do $13,135, so it sounds like they're motivated to get it gone.

I'm considering countering with $12,700, which would put me at just under $13,500 out the door.

I appreciate any thoughts/feedback on the issues/potential issues and the value. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
A 10 year old vehicle with any rust I'd be scared of, but I'm a southerner with no experience

Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
A 10 year old vehicle with any rust I'd be scared of, but I'm a southerner with no experience
haha yeah... I wish I could find what I'm looking for from down South. I just can't bring myself to buy an older vehicle sight unseen and it's not realistic to travel that far just to check out a truck I *might* want to buy. I've been keeping an eye out for Southern trucks that people dealers are selling up here, but it seems like it's hard enough to find an 05+ F250 with a V10, much less being picky about it having zero rust.

Quick Reply: 05 F250 potential purchase