F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

FYI: How to replace long brake tube along frame.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI: How to replace long brake tube along frame.

I thought I'd share this tidbit of info since I saw advice posted stating otherwise.

This applies to years which are similar to the 2001. I'm not sure about any others.

To replace the brake line that runs along the frame to the rear, you do NOT need to drop the tank. At every position along the frame which has a brake tube retainer, there are 2 holes. One hole is so you have access to use a pry bar to pop the brake tube out of the retainer. The other hole is so you can light or see what you are doing. There is plenty of gap between the tank and frame for you to pull the brake tube down and out.

To install the new brake line, just push it up through the gap and into place. If you have small enough fingers to fit between the tank and frame gap, you can push the tube back into the retainer, otherwise use the access holes in the frame and an appropriate tool.

Hopefully that helps someone and saves some time.

Another FYI since you should be replacing all the lines downstream of the long line, you might as well replace the axle breather too. It's a Dorman 924-263 for the Sterling 10.5".

p.s. If there is a delay between when you press the brake and the power steering pump assist (symptom: pedal feels like it kicks back at you) flush your power steering pump by following these directions with one change. Push your brake pedal hard enough to get the power steering pump assisting, but release and repeat rapidly. Rapid pumping seems to push the air through the system faster. Pressing and holding did not.

p.p.s. My F250 now has awesome brakes

Last edited by Corpsie; 07-25-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: FYI: How to replace long brake tube along frame.