F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Ford 5.4 BEST Overall Spark Plug Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 5.4 BEST Overall Spark Plug Repair

Here we go guys!

BEST Thread Repair Kit?!?!

Ive researched every last detail before attempting this (rather not do this on the side of the road). I wanna pull my plugs and conform all to a set insert. Plugs have been abused in the past i have found. I am in no way afraid to go thru with this job but i'd like feedback from the masses as to which kit/insert size to go with. Ive been speaking with TimeSert but ive seen CalVan, Lock-N-Stitch, and even Heli-Coil (wow!) being recommended for repair. Found pros and cons with all and personally i wont consider Heli-Coil at all for it. Definitely not the right fix. Im tempted (seeing the CalVan inserts) to go with those because the pics look like theyre beefy! But then again i wonder if the size of them would leave me with no other option, besides pulling the head, for lack of material left after the first repair should something go wrong. TimeSert looks like a quality kit but compared to the CalVan, the inserts look inferior but leaves more option for further repair. Of course every website says they're the "only way to go" or "Ford Approved".

Does prices matter? $400+ TimeSert, $200+\- CalVan...

Better quality? More tools included? If so, what tools are a definite must have on top of these kits (besides the basics) if they dont include a certain tool?

Size Tap Wrench matter?
Tap Socket for 2V?
Quantity of Inserts included/not?
Counterbore quality compared to..?
Tool quality opinions?
Even customer service/help offered by companies... Doubt im the only one that could benefit from many opinions. Maybe when commenting list quantity of plugs you've attempted, wins/loses, beers per kit, tools thrown vs polished and top shelve'd in tool box.... Any info appreciated by more than just me! Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The VERY best?

http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/highreliability.htm

VERY expensive. They do the work, they do not sell just the kits.

After that? I would say Timesert.

Quick Reply: Ford 5.4 BEST Overall Spark Plug Repair