F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250-350 vs Cummins 2500-3500

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The reason my nephew got the F-350 is his 2000 Dodge Cummins puked the auto tranny, and those aren't cheap trannies, it would have cost him close to 6 grand to fix it. Truck itself wasn't worth it, it was a typical beat to crap old high mileage (250k) Dodge rattletrap. He was pissed, that old do(d)g(e) was getting 29 mpg on the highway at 60 mph. Best he's seen on the Ford is 15. His fuel bill doubled, he was going to school in Phoenix and coming home to San Diego every weekend. It got so bad he swapped vehicles with his fiance and took her Golf TDI to Phoenix (50 MPG!) and stuck her with the truck for her commute. She's the one that cooked the DPF, she ignored the CEL and kept driving it.

I don't know how the newer Dodge trannies are.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are really killing me with the 6.7 ha I love the look of that truck. What do they usually go for in a crew cab 4x4? anyone work for a dealer or buy one? They came out in 2011 right? is there a job year that I should look at if I look at those? anything to stay away from?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 AM

Sounds like he should've just kept the dodge and fixed it up! Hell, the fuel savings alone would've paid for that tranny in 3 years if he drives 12-15k miles a year, not to mention the lack of payments. 29 mpg makes my 11.5 mpg look even worse, I'd kill somebody for that!

But we've got a 2011 lariat with 21k miles on it for $46k, and it's literally got EVERY single option you can get. So I'd think you could find one similar with a little more mileage and without some of the unnecessary extras in the low 40's for sure. And even in the mid to high 30's with other things pending

Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
glc
Found out that the newer Dodge diesel automatics use an Aisin tranny, and it's not very reliable either.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
you guys are really killing me with the 6.7 ha I love the look of that truck. What do they usually go for in a crew cab 4x4? anyone work for a dealer or buy one? They came out in 2011 right? is there a job year that I should look at if I look at those? anything to stay away from?
The fourth generation Ram 2500/3500's came out in 2010. Both Ford and Ram have their good and bad points. I love my Ram, but a lot of the reason for purchase was the dealership. We have a great local Dodge/Jeep dealership and our local Ford dealership closed up years ago. But so far, I love my Ram!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Sounds like he should've just kept the dodge and fixed it up! Hell, the fuel savings alone would've paid for that tranny in 3 years if he drives 12-15k miles a year, not to mention the lack of payments. 29 mpg makes my 11.5 mpg look even worse, I'd kill somebody for that!

But we've got a 2011 lariat with 21k miles on it for $46k, and it's literally got EVERY single option you can get. So I'd think you could find one similar with a little more mileage and without some of the unnecessary extras in the low 40's for sure. And even in the mid to high 30's with other things pending
46 isn't bad for a brand new 6.7 ford. Have you towed with it? How is it with heavy loads?
I'm guessing the consensus here is the 6.7 fords blow away the 6.4 s? I don't really want a brand new dodge. I don't like the looks all that much. I had a friend get a brand new one and he was still out the door at like 50k I don t wanna be 50k on a truck when I can buy a 30k truck and essentially have 20k to blow on it. Makes way more sense to me at least.

Last edited by fnnrNArnner74; 04-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
The fourth generation Ram 2500/3500's came out in 2010. Both Ford and Ram have their good and bad points. I love my Ram, but a lot of the reason for purchase was the dealership. We have a great local Dodge/Jeep dealership and our local Ford dealership closed up years ago. But so far, I love my Ram!
I haven't dealt with many dealers, berge ford isnt the greatest dealer I've ever dealt with personally. It was only parts but I just got the snobby nose in the air feel whenever I would ask questions. I have heard san tan ford is awesome and I have ties with the fab shop that built the blue and white ford raptor that was auctioned at barret jackson. That truck was owned by the owner of sanderson ford. So I might be able to get a deal there. As far as dodge dealerships the friend I have who bought both a megacab and a 6.7 duallie bought them from the same dodge dealership and hated it. Was talked down to, made a joke of. It was a very weird experience to say the least.. don't think I'll be going there.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM

Oh, by "we" I meant my dealership, not my family! So I haven't towed with it haha. But that's used and all optioned up. New they'd be $55k+. But you could get a good XLT with power seats an everything will low low miles for $40k right now. But I'm not to "promote" the dealership I work for, just providing examples.

But saving that $20k is exactly why I think going with that 5.9 would be a good idea

Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM
see I actually like the 5.9 dodge :/ that one I posted earlier is actually really nice in my eyes and I love the megacab. I have sat in the backseat in one and it was awesome! a couple posts earlier though someone mentioned the trans being crap which is what I have heard from a lot of people on dodges. Motor =awesome, trans=crap. A awesome motor wont do me any good even with the reputation cummins has without a trans that wont melt with my truck on a trailer behind it. can anyone attest to that year truck I posted? will it in its current form be a good enough truck to do what I want? I know we're bouncing around but its essentially the point of the thread. I don't have any dodge friends that arent the normal opinionated "cummins! cummins! cummins!" guys.. I really don't care about "THE CUMMINS" or "THE POWERSTROKE". I care about things that will do the job and will impress me doing it. I cant tell you how over fixing things I am on vehicles. If this was my only truck it would be different. I have beaten the crap out of the shark and it doesn't skip a beat for the most part. everything that has stopped me has been little things. my point is that I really just don't want major problems on whatever I get. and if the dodges trans is a REAL issue, then I'm out.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM

It's going to come down to what you believe. Almost all the info you get is going to be opinionated at least a little bit. All I know for sure is that gas burning Dodge trucks don't hold their value for crap, and there has to be a reason for that. They're thousands cheaper than their Ford and Chevy counterparts. And putting a cummins in it doesn't change the rest of the truck. IMO, The Ford IS going to be more reliable as far as everything other than the engine goes. But that Cummins is going to be be a better engine than the 6.4. And the engine being far and away the most expensive component of the vehicle is something to think about. Worst case scenario, that Dodge will need one transmission replacement while you own it. But it comes down to one question: want the solid truck with a questionable motor, or a solid motor in a questionable truck?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
It's going to come down to what you believe. Almost all the info you get is going to be opinionated at least a little bit. All I know for sure is that gas burning Dodge trucks don't hold their value for crap, and there has to be a reason for that. They're thousands cheaper than their Ford and Chevy counterparts. And putting a cummins in it doesn't change the rest of the truck. IMO, The Ford IS going to be more reliable as far as everything other than the engine goes. But that Cummins is going to be be a better engine than the 6.4. And the engine being far and away the most expensive component of the vehicle is something to think about. Worst case scenario, that Dodge will need one transmission replacement while you own it. But it comes down to one question: want the solid truck with a questionable motor, or a solid motor in a questionable truck?
way to pose an impossible question! I guess I'm going to have to drive them. see how they feel and just make the real distinction as I see fit. This seems like a long shot but by any chance If I show up to a dealer with my truck on a trailer and ask to see a couple different trucks, and ask to see how they tow my truck do you think they would even consider it? I mean what can it hurt right? If I for sure go there with the intentions of buying a truck based on the performance of the tow then it shouldn't matter should it?

also I know it was mentioned before but this whole 6.0 idea.. I have looked up and read every thread I thought I could on it. head gaskets being blown because overheating and too much boost being pushed to the motor. Got it.
But it can't be true that these trucks are just completely worthless can it? It almost makes me want to buy one of the what seems like hundreds of 6.0s I see out there in awesome condition with way more goodies than anything 6.4 + I have seen for way less. Plus it would just warm me inside to absolutely walk away from every chevy and dodge out there who thinks the 6.0 is garbage. But I have a feeling this might be a pipe dream.. should the 6.0 even be a consideration?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 PM
glc
Sure - get a 6.0 and throw several grand into it to fix the shortcomings and it will run forever. The later the model the better.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
"several grand" doesn't sound exactly promising..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You're seeing overstated problems. None of these trucks are as bad as they are being said. Buy the cleanest truck you can that fits your needs. If it needs work down the road, upgrade the failed parts to bullet proof it. I'd rather a "questionable" babied truck than one that wasn't maintained. No all 6.0's have issues and not all dodge trucks have transmission issues.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM

I'd say to try out the towing idea. But yeah, the drive is important. One thing to remember about a 6.0 though, they are SLOW as slow can be. They hardly move. But yes, they're decent enough if you throw a couple G's at them and they should be good to you. I don't think they'll "run for ever" though haha. The 06+'s (I believe) of the 6.0's are supposed to be "fixed" to an extent

Quick Reply: F250-350 vs Cummins 2500-3500