F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250-350 vs Cummins 2500-3500

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
I was in the same situation as you are in. I decided for me, the best option was 6.0 PSD and bullet proof the motor in the future. I get 18-20 MPG now after EGR delete on the highway. I love the looks of this truck inside and out. To me, the money in motor is worth the better MPG and the headache of the newer ford engines.
I was able to find mine with 71k miles on it. 7.3 was my first choice, but you can't find one with low miles any more. Time to move on.

Dodge? Glc said it right. That being said, a friend of mine spun number 6 bearing in his 5.9 at just a hair over 100k. Cost him $11k for remanufactured engine. Auto trans on dodge is junk. Interior and exterior is ugly as hell IMO. And, front ends are not near as strong and durable as a Super Duty.

Just about everything on a 6.0 super duty is rock solid, excluding the few engine issues.
geez don't tempt me here ha. I have for the longesttt time wanted to just say screw it and dive into a 6.0. But I am honestly not about to go deep into a motor when I have my truck to deal with and its needs. I honestly haven't read up on what I should look for if I were to buy one. I know the mentioned head studs but besides that how am I going to REALLY know I'm buying one that was "fixed" and not just bandaid-ed? I love the looks, they come coilover, and the interior isnt too bad. If it werent for the issues I would be in with money left over to put some goodies on it for sure. But again I'm leary of buying a truck that potentially might blow up on me halfway through its life. I absolutely cant have that.

Originally Posted by glc
With the right mods, a 6.4 is a stronger engine than a 6.0. They are both Navistar.

Can't swing the bucks for a 2011 Ford with a 6.7?
I might be able to. I'm going to come in with 20k down, and I have pretty good credit. I don't really like having a massive payment though. just a bummer. And right now those trucks are 40-50k. and I don't see them really coming down all that much in the next year or so. This is why I said well I will go with the 6.4 or a dodge because they are still newer and its really the only other truck besides the 7.3 because I didn't consider the 6.0

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I got into an argument with a guy about a 6.0 once because he was trying to tell me that dumping thousands into it to make it an average motor was somehow better than buying a 5.9 or a 6.4 in the first place. And I told him to do the same, but start off with a better canvas and end up with an above average motor. Not harping on your truck though AVfrog. A guy I work with swears by studded and deleted 6.0's like nobody's business. And at the end of the day, I'd take almost any diesel over a gas burner any day!

People that leave 6.0's stock and have problems with them are the ones that create the negative connation for them. Especially when they know better, it makes no sense. Studding and deleting isn't that expensive when compared to a rebuild.

Sorry OP, we got off track! But the EGR delete may or may not affect you depending on your state, and more specifically your county. In my county in TX, we don't do emissions, only an OBD check for emissions, nothing in the tailpipe. One county over, and they probably do test. Just ask around your AZ county. And some diesels can be emissions exempt in some circumstances too. And Pre 2004.5 cummins literally only have a muffler, no emissions anything, and that's how they came from the factory. That's why they kick ***.
I live in maricopa country in Mesa az. We have to do the emissions on these trucks I'm pretty certain. And I have heard a lot of bad things about the earlier dodges from first hand experiences. My close friend has a 2004 dodge and he is on his 3rd transmission. First two were replaced from factory, and the last one he had to spring for. I don't want to mess with this. I want a truck that is solid. Solid trans solid motor. solid as a diesel should be. It needs to do its job. period. Every truck will have its problems but I want something I can rely on when its cold and when its hot to tow me wherever with a heavy load and not skip a beat.

I wouldn't go with a 6.4 myself. I don't trust a 2 year motor. If I could come up with the cash it would be a 6.7 PSD. That is Fords baby, and I figure it will be around for a long time.
so you don't trust it? I mean is it really going to be that bad? Its relatively new now. I plan on going maybe 6-7 years with it. I really really like the new trucks, they just to me look the best. I love big headlights like that. massive grills. just big bad trucks with stance. and I have seen some serious looking trucks with very little done.

I noted the 2 year run, I don't like it either. However, aren't the 6.4's similar to the 6.0's? I haven't kept up with them recently but I recall them being similar in build structure. If you can find a job 3 (like a gen 3) 6.4, they're going to be the best. AV, do you remember when they switched from 2 to 3? Some time in '08
what is a job 3 exactly?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

The job 3 is basically like the most recently tweaked motor. Ford made little changes to it every 8 months or so, and that was supposed to be the "best" 6.4 you could buy. I looked it up some, and it seems like March 2008 or so and up are the job 3's. And that's the build date being March, gotta find the build date. But I highly reccommend getting on some of the all brand diesel forums, and some power stroke forums so that you can get info from the guys that own these trucks. I've heard/seen that the Ford's, even with 6.0's, have really solid trannies. The Ford is the most overall solid truck you're gonna get. But look up the job 3's and get some info on them and talk to some owners. I don't want to be wrong on something and be influencing you based on that! And honestly, I wouldn't overlook a Duramax either, unless you absolutely can't drive a Chevy. I stayed away from talking about them before because you didn't mention them, but they could also be your best overall shot too. They've been using the same motor for the last decade or so and have the "why changed it of it ain't broke" going for them. And Allison transmissions may be at times over rated because they have a name, but they're solid too.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM
The job 3 is basically like the most recently tweaked motor. Ford made little changes to it every 8 months or so, and that was supposed to be the "best" 6.4 you could buy. I looked it up some, and it seems like March 2008 or so and up are the job 3's. And that's the build date being March, gotta find the build date. But I highly reccommend getting on some of the all brand diesel forums, and some power stroke forums so that you can get info from the guys that own these trucks. I've heard/seen that the Ford's, even with 6.0's, have really solid trannies. The Ford is the most overall solid truck you're gonna get. But look up the job 3's and get some info on them and talk to some owners. I don't want to be wrong on something and be influencing you based on that! And honestly, I wouldn't overlook a Duramax either, unless you absolutely can't drive a Chevy. I stayed away from talking about them before because you didn't mention them, but they could also be your best overall shot too. They've been using the same motor for the last decade or so and have the "why changed it of it ain't broke" going for them. And Allison transmissions may be at times over rated because they have a name, but they're solid too.
awesome! thanks for the info! I will head over to a couple forums and check out what people have to say there as well. The only reason I don't consider chevy is because of suspension reasons. I have absolutely no faith in ifs on bigger trucks. I didn't mention this before but I also need this truck to be a truck that can get where my f150 went without breaking down within reason. I have seen first hand on 3 different occasions chevy tierods just explode when trying to offroad even at low speeds. I have seen one axle snap and another arm bend slightly. Its a nightmare in my eyes. I'm all for ifs on lighter trucks like mine, but I know suspension and I know that my trucks suspension was built to take some serious beating and it weighs nothing close to what that truck would weigh. granted I'm not trying to beat it when going out and saving my own ***, but I just feel safer knowing a big solid axle is underneath me. That and the amount of **** I would get would be just unbearable haha but thats superficial.

I have found this
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36450

it has a whole lot of links to other threads on how the 6.4 has blown up. seems cooling is a major issue on these trucks. Why in the world would someone decide to put a part on a truck that essentially makes the truck prone to failure?

I also found this
http://www.fleetservicenorthwest.com...werstroke.aspx

its a good read on the 6.4 failures and how to fix them.

If I go with a 6.4, I run 35s and run it stock, how solid is this going to be? What if I delete the dpf and egr and run a programmer? how solid is that? big difference? not so much? worth it? not worth it?

anyone have anymore on the dodges? I have my eye on a absolutely beautiful 5.9 megacab that I could easily afford.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:29 PM

Those are good reasons for not wanting a Chevy haha. Those are also good links. First, any newer diesel with emmisons controls still on the truck are going to have problem because EGRs are naturally not good for the motor and shorten it's life. DPFs restrict the exhaust and cause other problems. You will better off deleting both and running a tune for, but telling the tuner that you only want all the cogs to mesh, that you want it to be as safe on the motor as possible. Just don't run performance tunes on it haha. So I'd say worth it. Some people disagree with doing this because it's not how the truck was designed, but they're only designed that way because the gov't told them they had to. The difference in MPG alone will pay off in time.

What year is the dodge? I still think the 5.9 is by far the most solid motor we've talked about. However, the rest of the truck is not. But, if you save a bucket of money, it can pay for any potential issues. I'm assuming it's automatic too?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Those are good reasons for not wanting a Chevy haha. Those are also good links. First, any newer diesel with emmisons controls still on the truck are going to have problem because EGRs are naturally not good for the motor and shorten it's life. DPFs restrict the exhaust and cause other problems. You will better off deleting both and running a tune for, but telling the tuner that you only want all the cogs to mesh, that you want it to be as safe on the motor as possible. Just don't run performance tunes on it haha. So I'd say worth it. Some people disagree with doing this because it's not how the truck was designed, but they're only designed that way because the gov't told them they had to. The difference in MPG alone will pay off in time.

What year is the dodge? I still think the 5.9 is by far the most solid motor we've talked about. However, the rest of the truck is not. But, if you save a bucket of money, it can pay for any potential issues. I'm assuming it's automatic too?
so no performance tunes and it should be bulletproof for what I want?
how far in can I go performance wise before I push the limits of reliability. I have looked at the spartan tunes more specifically the 210 and the 310. I watched this video :
and if those numbers are true then wow is all I have to say. I want that haha. granted thats against the whole reliability thing I was talking about but you can load multiple tunes on one programmer correct? how bad is that bigger tune or even the 210 tune?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/3709550754.html

this is the exact truck.

I was also looking at this.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3718885543.html

Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Ok, first thing that you should absolutely do, whether buying from a dealer or a third party, is to get it inspected by your mechanic on a lift and have everything gone over. I work at a car dealership and you'd be surprised how few people get the vehicle inspected; it's a must.

That being said, that cummins looks pretty sexy! I'd check to see if those dash pod gauges are accompanied by a tuner, they are a lot of the time. And honestly I'd stay away from it if it's been tuned. But it looks really nice. Also check of it's got a gooseneck in the bed. That can be a no-no as well. Hauling really heavy loads trashes those trannies, and all trannies for that matter.

That Ford looks pretty good too, get the mileage on it though. And of you're willing to spend that much, I'd swing for a 2011 6.7. You can get a Lariat with around 40k miles for that money. But it wouldn't be lifted of course

I have no first hand experience with tuners on diesel, that's the first thing. But what I get told by nearly everyone I know who buys a diesel and keeps it until the wheels fall off, don't performance tune them, period. But you can load multiple tunes on one tuner. I'd get a daily driving one that is purely a safe, parts-meshing tune. If you want a performance one too, don't use it very often haha. Some guys absolutely refuse to tune diesels because of the resulting horror stories. One friend's family has a 5.9 dialog that runs 11 second quarter miles and rolls coal like a monster, but it isn't a daily driver, it's a toy. Another one of their trucks is that 97 5.9 with 440+k on the odometer and that's only got an Air dog fuel pump on it, that's it. You seem highly concerned with longevity and reliability, so I'd stick with safe tunes. But there's nothing cooler than black smoking somebody haha

Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM

Thing to remember about the tunes is that a new gas burning motor costs 4 grand, and just the engine block for a diesel costs more than that. If you screw stuff up on a diesel, you're gonna pay for it with your retirement fund haha.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Ok, first thing that you should absolutely do, whether buying from a dealer or a third party, is to get it inspected by your mechanic on a lift and have everything gone over. I work at a car dealership and you'd be surprised how few people get the vehicle inspected; it's a must.

That being said, that cummins looks pretty sexy! I'd check to see if those dash pod gauges are accompanied by a tuner, they are a lot of the time. And honestly I'd stay away from it if it's been tuned. But it looks really nice. Also check of it's got a gooseneck in the bed. That can be a no-no as well. Hauling really heavy loads trashes those trannies, and all trannies for that matter.

That Ford looks pretty good too, get the mileage on it though. And of you're willing to spend that much, I'd swing for a 2011 6.7. You can get a Lariat with around 40k miles for that money. But it wouldn't be lifted of course

I have no first hand experience with tuners on diesel, that's the first thing. But what I get told by nearly everyone I know who buys a diesel and keeps it until the wheels fall off, don't performance tune them, period. But you can load multiple tunes on one tuner. I'd get a daily driving one that is purely a safe, parts-meshing tune. If you want a performance one too, don't use it very often haha. Some guys absolutely refuse to tune diesels because of the resulting horror stories. One friend's family has a 5.9 dialog that runs 11 second quarter miles and rolls coal like a monster, but it isn't a daily driver, it's a toy. Another one of their trucks is that 97 5.9 with 440+k on the odometer and that's only got an Air dog fuel pump on it, that's it. You seem highly concerned with longevity and reliability, so I'd stick with safe tunes. But there's nothing cooler than black smoking somebody haha
haha oh there isn't! and I'm not saying I'm trying to completely baby this truck either. I just want something thats going to impress me. I have a bike that I drive daily, gets 50mpg 10-13$ fill ups. Basically a good gas saver. But that doesn't mean that I haven't pinged it off rev limiter through 6 gears. I drive safely and reserved 90% of the time, but like anyone else I want to have a bad *** black pouring monster that literally leaves a cloud you cant see through behind him when I want to.

The dodge is almost perfect. If it had leather it would be perfect. not because its fancy, but because you have no idea how many times I have been out in the desert, leave the windows down and just like that inside of the truck is just absolutely filthy. Or someone is in my truck with a red drink or blue or whatever color and oops sorry. spills everywhere.. -_- not cool. mud tracks in, sand, all sorts of things.

The ford is to me way over priced. I see duallies with full media and low low miles same year go for way less. Its a nice truck but I posted it for the idea more or less. If it was a new 6.7 I would understand but thats not worth that In my eyes.

on a side note, how are the new 6.7s? are they still too new to know if anyone has any issues on them? I watched a ford sponsored video of a guy who tows 18500 weekly with 200k on his. thats seriously impressive in my eyes.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Ok, as much as I love seeing a truck that rolls coal like that, it takes a lot of money to get them there! You can get solid black smoke, enough to have fun with, with a tuner and deletes. Anything above that, and you're shelling out 10k+ for injectors, fuel pump and maybe a bigger turbo. But I gotcha, it can BE a baby without being treated like a baby

As far as cloth, I think it's better. And here's why: Dodge leather is crap. Even die-hard Dodge guys will admit that their leather wears out quickly. You can get a shop to put quality leather in that truck for about 2 grand. And you can customize that so it looks really cool! And for me personally, all new leather in 07 ish + American vehicles is not worth the added cost. It literally feels like foam and it's hard to tell the difference vs. vinyl. King Ranch is the only exception.

I don't think the new 6.7's haven't been around long enough. BUT, 800 ft-lbs right out the box is insane. I want to put faith in Ford that they've finally gotten a good diesel again. It will at least be used in the foreseeable future (5+ years at a minimum) because of the unbelievable amount of money that they spent developing and researching that motor. But they've been around long enough for some reliability/problems information to have been collected. I haven't kept up with it though. But all the new diesels are really suffering because of the emissions, it's sadening really

Last edited by KMAC0694; 04-14-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM
the video says that the only thing done is a Spartan tune, 5" Flo-Pro exhaust, and an AFE intake filter. thats why I was impressed! doesnt seem like much.

I would probably agree that the dodge leather is crap, it looks like it. the ford stuff on the other hand is prime. the leather in my truck has been solid. still feels nice and reacts well with cleaner.

are the 6.7s fairly fast as is? do they have the problems with the dpf and egr with limp mode like the 6.4 does?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The 6.7 still has EGR and DPF, but it also uses DEF to cut down on fuel use for regen. It's VERY quick stock with all that HP and torque.

Back to Dodge - yes, the automatic transmissions are garbage. If you can find one with a stick it's bulletproof.

Last summer my nephew bought a high mile (148k) 08 F-350 with a 6.4 and a stick for $14k. All 3 O2 sensors crapped out and it stuck in regen, he was getting about 7 mpg. He is extremely lucky it didn't cook the engine, the software patch did its job and put it in limp mode when the DPF overheated and plugged. His is either a late Job 1 or an early Job 2, we haven't figured that out yet.

He would have that DPF and EGR out of there and a Spartan tune but it's registered in California, nobody will touch it.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do have emission testing, EGR and DPF delete is out of the question. You'll have to leave it all stock.

Thought you said earlier you did have...

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The 6.7 still has EGR and DPF, but it also uses DEF to cut down on fuel use for regen. It's VERY quick stock with all that HP and torque.

Back to Dodge - yes, the automatic transmissions are garbage. If you can find one with a stick it's bulletproof.

Last summer my nephew bought a high mile (148k) 08 F-350 with a 6.4 and a stick for $14k. All 3 O2 sensors crapped out and it stuck in regen, he was getting about 7 mpg. He is extremely lucky it didn't cook the engine, the software patch did its job and put it in limp mode when the DPF overheated and plugged. His is either a late Job 1 or an early Job 2, we haven't figured that out yet.

He would have that DPF and EGR out of there and a Spartan tune but it's registered in California, nobody will touch it.
so if he did have the dpf and egr delete it wouldnt have had that issue correct? seems like another vote to delete.
and is this both the 5.9 dodges and the 6.7 dodges that the trans is garbage? I have heard this before but only with earlier model dodges. does the problem persist with the newer trucks say 06-07 as well?

If you do have emission testing, EGR and DPF delete is out of the question. You'll have to leave it all stock.

Thought you said earlier you did have...
I do live in a county right now that requires it, but I have a friend who has a cabin in snowflake which does not. all our diesel friends who delete register it with his address and have the mail forwarded to their local address. kind of a loop hole in a sense.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 PM

There ya go! Thinking properly by registering in a different county! It's just another gov't crime IMO to ruin people's motors with emissions crap. And your leather feels good cause your 150 is relatively old. My old 2000 Suburban had great leather. New 2011 Yukon? Cheap foamy vinyl. Even new Ford leather is terrible.

The 6.7 Fords will spin the rear tires like nobody's business! I do it accidentally on the lot all the time haha. They're pretty damn fast for a huge diesel.

For whatever reason, Dodge auto trannies are "bad" and the manuals are pretty solid. But really, how much and how often you tow affects transmission life more than anything. The friend I have with the 3 5.9's all have manuals and have never had an issue. They refuse to buy autos. But it's not like every transmission blows at 80k miles or anything like that

Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 PM

And I'd rather have a $3k-4k tranny (with goodies) go than a $15k to $20k motor go

Quick Reply: F250-350 vs Cummins 2500-3500