F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

oil analysis cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil analysis cost

I am looking at getting a 4x2 or 4x4 SD PSD and would like to know what this oil analyis is all about. I know you do it to see if your truck is running right but what else. I would also like to know how much this cost each time you have it checked. Thankyou for any info you can provide.

Old 07-19-2001, 09:14 AM
Thumbs up

I have an oil analysis pulled about every 3k on my truck. The first one you have done is basicly just a base line for all the rest that you'll have done. The main thing that having analysis done is to show any wear metals in the oil. These test can pick up such things as copper (from bearings, bushings) Iron (from gears, valve train components, rust) Silicon (contamination from dirt) Zinc (found in additive packages, a high # here is good) Water (BAD!!!) Fuel (again BAD!!) Soot (unburned fuel) And this is just a short list of what the analysis will tell you!! As you get more miles on your truck, you will see a pattern develop in the analysis and if you go out of that pattern, you'll know something is up with the engine. And usually that pattern will show up before any outward signs of the engine running bad. I'm also running my oil for 10k miles before changing, so having it analysised let's me know the oil it still doing it's job.
As far as cost, I get mine done through where my husband works (big discount) I think normally, analysis cost in the $15 range

Old 07-19-2001, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the information about the analysis. Now I just need to come up with some money to buy the truck.

Quick Reply: oil analysis cost