F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel or Gas???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-1999, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with the PSD is it will pretty much out accelerate anything out there. It does take a bit to get it moving but shortly there after it pulls like a mule. Very rarely ever downshifts fully loaded(never does unloaded). I am glad J-C is happy with the performance of the V10...most people i know want to trade them off already. I would say drive the PSD first, then the V10, and then the PSD again(or vice-versa)...you will definately be able to tell the difference. That should be all you need to make up your mind, then all you need to know is what options you want. Either way you go you would be getting the best looking and running truck on the market(IMHO of course).

------------------
1999 F250 SuperDuty, XLT, PSD, supercab, shortbox, 4X4offroad, 3.73 limitedslip, 4R100 with PTO, GVW=8800, TC=14300, power TT mirrors, Grey Rhino-liner, Retrax retractible hard top, Lariat wheels, 295/75/16 BFG AT, Clarion CD/DSP/EQ, soundstream/PPI amps, JL/Boston speakers, and...

[This message has been edited by SDF250_mn (edited 10-11-1999).]

Old 10-11-1999, 09:49 PM
SDF250_mn, I live where it gets REAL COLD. It has gone weeks here not getting above zero. If you can get a diesel to start consistently without being plugged in here, and without using a case of starting ether each time, I'd love to see it. When it's that cold all engines need some help. I think diesels are fine, don't misunderstand me. I've owned a few of them too. The diesels are good engines, however, diesels aren't made for drag racing.
The diesel situation here is quite the opposite of yours. People here don't want anything to do with a diesel. The dealers don't even want to stock them, this includes Ford, Do*g*, and GM. I know people who have had diesels that won't buy another one under any circumstances. This also includes all of the above makes too. I'm not trying to start an argument either. I respect your opinion about your diesel too. I also drove both the PSD and the V-10. I bought a V-10. I bought what was best for me and my situation, just as you did. Let's just say we agree to disagree.

Old 10-12-1999, 02:04 PM
J-C
Amen!
I drove a Dodge V-10, a Dodge with Cummins,
a Ford V-10 and a Ford PSD. (in that order)
Then I bought what best suited me.

Old 10-12-1999, 03:13 PM
I haven't ever personally driven a V-10, just ridden in one. My dad has driven several 5-spds and Autos both Diesel and V-10. He says that the V-10 is quicker than the Diesel Auto. I think that the 500 lbs/torque justifies itself in that catagory.

Old 10-12-1999, 04:33 PM
J-C,

how does that Dodge v10 compare you yours?

Old 10-12-1999, 04:52 PM
J-C
Fast46triton -
Can you say SMOOOOOOTH

The ancient technology 8.0l Dodge V-10 uses the same distributor cap as their V-8 (to save money ???) This clever re-use of parts causes 2 cylinders to fire at the same time (twice in every cycle). Typical V-8 firing order and timing. (I guess when you're running down the hiway at 190+ MPH there isn't much time between sparkplug firing, but it sure give a rough idle )

Ford, on the otherhand varies the timing to have 10 distinct sparkplug firings every cycle. The only engine, I've ever had the pleasure to stick my foot into that was smoother was the Jaguar V-12.
I sure am glad Ford bought Jaguar. I think they picked up some GREAT engine technology.

That said, I must confess that the most powerful V-8 I've ever had the pleasure of sticking my foot into was the old Magnum 440. That was a real work-horse.
I never did get the opportunity to drive one of the old Ford 429s.

All above are my personal opinions. I'm trying to not show favoritism - just stating what I like(d). Unfortunately to some, I never found a GM engine that really got me excited - size and power they had, but they could never seem to put it on the road (where it mattered!)

**** END OF SOAPBOX ****

PS. Thanks for asking.

[This message has been edited by J-C (edited 10-12-1999).]

Old 10-19-1999, 06:38 PM
I like a diesel because to me, anything else would be disappointing. I bought the truck for the diesel..The sound, turbo whine, fumes and obnoxious rattle all make me giggle.
What I didn't expect is that once you dump in a hot chip and a Transcommand, there isn't much on the road, let alone trucks that will take it at a light.. If you guys doubt me, I hope that you have the opportunity to drive a stroke that has been chipped. All of your performance questions will be answered in a second or two..when your holding on and burning rubber....
The increase of power by a simple (but expensive) circuit board was astounding.

For those who live where the temps. drop consistantly below zero, I understand your concern, but the electronics, fuel delivery and overall cold weather design will make the engine perform in those conditions.

------------------
99.0 F-250 CC, 4x SWB Stroke Lariat

Old 10-19-1999, 08:08 PM
Smile

Big Rig: I drove an old F-250 with the PowerStroke and a Chip. Jeez, talk about horsepower! I would like to race any Chevy's(or dodges with one!)

------------------
Thanks!

1993 F-150 302/e4od/355 Limited slip. dual exhuast w/o mufflers,2 1/4" pipes with Echo Tips, headers, accel plugs/wires(8.6mm)/rotor/cap, hypertech powermodule,5% dark tint. Alpine cd player and Pioneer speakers. I need to get it Dyno Tested and qtr mile times. And someday Ill get picks!!!!!!!!!

1989 F-150 XLT 4x4 302/aod true duals with turbo mufflers, 30X9.50" wild country tires, 3:55 gears w/LS(want after market LS for front) 3" SuperLift would be nice too!

Old 10-19-1999, 10:42 PM
Well boys, I finally found a psd on the lot in a 6 speed 4WD extended cab and I took it for a ride. I've driven all 3 engines now and lets just say I made my decision today! I had never driven a psd before and let me tell you how incredibly awesome it was! The only thing that's holding me back is that I love the sound of an american gas v8 with flowmasters, but I'm thinking i could live without them. This thing was bad a$$! I had heard about chipping them. Just how much of a gain would it get from a superchip and a new intake? I was impressed, now I'm curious. Now i gotta wait till my 150 is out of warranty and then I'll trade it in. How expensive is a chip for a diesel? Thanks again for all of the help!

Mike

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Lighted Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Mud Flaps,
Leer Signature Series Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series,
Airbox mods, K&N, Bosch +4's, Complete Eclipse Stereo System.

Old 10-19-1999, 11:29 PM
When I brought my diesel home last fall, yeah, I was in love with the torque. After a few weeks, the in town, low end power was not impressive. You needed a heavy foot to get to the power.
What a chip does is simply give the engine more fuel and a longer duration of spray.
What I got was a extremely light throttle, as good as any big block gasser.
On the top end, it feels like it wants to twist off the driveshaft and spit it out the rear (I am sure that's what could happen)....
The cost ranges from $300 to $500.
It's well worth it, but you MUST also install a pyrometer to keep tabs on the exhaust temps..This is not a choice, it's a must.

Old 10-19-1999, 11:42 PM
What's a pyrometer, where does it install, and how much? should I have one even if I don't have a chip? Thanks

Mike

Old 10-20-1999, 05:39 PM
Have you heard a PSD with Straight Pipes? God that sound is good!

Old 10-20-1999, 10:38 PM
A pyrometer measures exhaust temperature. The by product of adding fuel (horsepower) to a diesel is higher ex.temps. A pyrometer is the only way to keep tabs on it so not to reach distructive temps..It takes the worry out of turning up a diesel.

------------------
99.0 F-250 CC, 4x SWB Stroke Lariat

Old 10-21-1999, 08:04 AM
Question

big rig,
Where did you get your pyrometer? I am ordering the superchip next month. Do you know if Dakota Digital has one at all? thanks

------------------
1999 F250 SuperDuty, XLT, PSD, supercab, shortbox, 4X4offroad, 3.73 limitedslip, 4R100 with PTO, Grey Rhino-liner, Retrax retractible hardtop, GVW=8800, TC=14300, Lariat wheels, 295/75/16 BFG AT, power TT mirrors, Clarion CD/DSP, soundstream/PPI amps, JL/Boston speakers, and...

Old 10-21-1999, 02:43 PM
Cool

DU302: The reason you watch exhaust temps is so you don't cook the turbocharger. I've had former turbo owners tell me it is also a good idea to idle it for a bit before shutting it off if you've made a hard run. Idling cools the turbo down. Also, that diesel sounds just like a gas engine if you put loud pipes on it. Barks some kinda bad!

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip,Water Wetter, Mobil 1, 13.573@101.08

Quick Reply: Diesel or Gas???