F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Exhaust Crossmember leak-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Crossmember leak-need advice

Hi everyone,
We have a 2001 Ford F250 7.3 diesel. I heard a small ticking on our way home from Oregon yesterday. I took it to my exhaust shop and he said it's an exhaust leak in the cross member pipe that runs after the manifolds. He said only Ford will do the fix and it's $3000-4000 because you have to pull the tranny or motor.
There has GOT to be another way. Can someone give me some guidance on this?
Thanks,
Christine

Old 07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
WTF is a crossmember pipe? If thats what the guy called it then drop kick him in the nuts and walk away. There is no such thing.

Based on your description it sounds like the up pipes. If that is it then its probably just the gaskets are shot. You can get them at Napa and its an afternoon fix job. The motor and trans doesn't have to come out. On second though drop kick the mouth breather in the nuts anyways for quoting something that stupid Gotta love "Diesel techs".

Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
This tech guy sounds like a douuuuuchebaggio. Its either gonna be the donut gaskets like powerstroke said, or it could be your EBPV sensor tube, which is located on your passenger side manifold and runs to the front of the motor. They like to rust out and break.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM
It was something like cross over pipe he said. According to him, it was common for 7.3's. This truck only has 38K miles on it.

I found references on the net about Crossover exhaust turbo pipe but you're right, I've also seen turbo up pipe.

I'd better get myself a manual for this truck and get to work.

Last edited by Blonde Ambition; 07-16-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Crossmember leak-need advice