F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Who's actually running Biodeisel or straight veg oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's actually running Biodeisel or straight veg oil

Yes I saw Trucks....

I would like to know if anyone here is actually running anything other than pump diesel and what is your story. One more question, what is the sweet spot year of F250 diesel to get if you want to run biodeisel or veg oil. I may be in the market. TIA

Old 09-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I personally don't own a F-250, but my dad is running a biodiesel mixture in his F-250. His is a 1999 with the 7.3L PSD. His fuel mileage has gone up about 1 mpg (not 100% sure on this could be more) and the engine is running smoother and quieter since his switch from just pump diesel. The special detergents in the biodiesel cleaned his engine out and it is running just as good as the day he bought it (with 140k miles). Currently he is running between a 2% and 5% mixture. He buys a 55 gallon barrel of Soy100 (100% soy diesel) and mixes in a certain amount every time he fills up with pump diesel. Just that small of a percentage makes a difference.

I don't know exactly what the cut off year for the F-250's are. He owns a farm (part of the reason he tried biodiesel) and can't run the biodiesel in his tractors because they are too old and the fuel lines would be eaten away by the biodiesel. All of his tractors are 1990 models or older.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
You really only need to worry about the fuel lines if you are going to run a 20% or higher concentration. There are also varying types of bio-d, from straight brewed to filtered waste. Additional detergents? Nope, but the properties of the product do have a nice cleaning affect on your fuel system. There is the added benefit of the excellent lubrication properties of bio-d. Current diesel has lost lots of its lubrication qualities due to the refining process, and bio-d adds that back. You can take waste veggie oil (like from your local KFC), remove the water and filter it and you can run that up to a 20% mixture with regular diesel (or up to 50% in warmer climates) with no problems. Cool thing about that is the cost is almost $0. Or, you can set up your own processing station and start with waste oil and actually turn it into true bio-diesel that can be run straight with no pre-heating, but that can affect rubber lines.

Try a google search - there are lots of sites on the internet that discuss bio-d.

Quick Reply: Who's actually running Biodeisel or straight veg oil