F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Rusty oil pan in a Powerstroke???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusty oil pan in a Powerstroke???

Has anybody heard of the Powerstroke oil pans being prone to rust? My co-worker has a 2000 F350 one ton with a 12 foot cube and just recently took it in for a routine oil change. This truck has about 100k on it and is religiously maintained. After the oil change, she found a puddle on the warehouse floor and assumed that they buggered up on the filter installation and took it back. They told her the Ford pans were prone to rust because of poor paint applications and it is now perforated. They want a thousand bucks to pull the motor and put on a new pan. I said that sounds very fishy and she should get a second opinion. I do all the maintenance on my own work van and probably should've offered to look at it for her, but, I don't really want that responsibility. However, I still think she's quite possibly being duped, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this "problem"

Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno about the rust part, but I do know the engine has to come out to replace the oil pan, so their labor figure may not be too far off.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Nope that sounds about right. The 7.3L in the last few years, specifically the 99+ SD engines, did have problems with pain applications. It is not uncommon at all to see them rust out, espcially in areas where they use alot of road salt. If it has rusted through the engine does have to come out to change it and the quote of $1000 actually seems very fair compared to many other quotes I've heard for this type of repair. I guess she has an expensive repair coming up here real quick.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my '99 had a new oil pan put on at the dealer where i bought it... leaked on the test drive so they had to do it again before i would take delivery...so yes i'd say there was a problem for sure...the engine HAS to come out to do it also

...zap!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:05 AM
It just seemed very suspicious that the leak suddenly developed "after" she took it in for service. I guess they will try to patch it first with some plastic steel or JB Weld before they pull the motor. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Ggg
If the pan already has a leak the "putty" type repairs do not last long at all. All of the PSD engines have an oil pan perforation issue, both of mine (96,00) have had the pans replaced. She will want to get a "coated" pan from IH to replace the factory painted one. They do last longer, or have her new pan coated with Rhino Liner or something similar. The paint on the new pans isn't any better then the stock painted pans.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Egads boys!!! Yeah, the putty solution? didn't even make it out of the shop, so she bit the bullet and got the local Ford dealer to pull the motor and install a new pan she purchased from NAPA, BUT, and this is a big BUT, they used silicone to make a gasket, which I'm not sure, but I thought it would have to be neoprene or cork on an oil pan. Anyways, guess what happened after it was all put back together, yup, still leaks. Her truck has already been down for a week and will probably be out of commission for at least another couple of days. Before she goes through this again, can someone tell me what the proper gasket material is for a PS oilpan. The Ford dealer figures their mechanic just used the wrong kind of silicone. This is just assinine, you'd think a dealer would know, without question.

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Make sure they use International gray. That is by far the best sealant I've ever used in my life. Its kind of strange, but it'll hold guaranteed. The stuff Ford uses is flat out a joke.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks 73, I'll pass the information on to her, hopefully they can get it right the second time around.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Did they actually show you where the pan was leaking? I would have absolutely no work done until I saw the leak with my own eyes.

Quick Reply: Rusty oil pan in a Powerstroke???