F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Newbie Needing Info 01-03 SD PS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Needing Info 01-03 SD PS

Hello Folks,

I am looking at purchasing a new (used) truck in the next six months and am trying to do as much research as possible before I buy. I need your unbiased (albeit very important) opinion on a couple of matters.

A. I have the opportunity to purchase an '02 Duramax Crew 4x4 from a family member who has taken extremely good care of it and wants to buy a new Suburban to haul grandkids around. ( I can get this at a really good price)

B. I have a cousin who put 350k on his Powerstroke (98) hauling a gooseneck stock trailer fully loaded every week before moving into the new 05 PS (Longevity is amazing).

My dilema is this: If I buy the PS, CC 4x4, what are my advantages over the D-max and why would I be more satisfied with a Ford than a Chevy? I've always been a GM guy, but the quality seems to be lacking somewhat and I need a reliable truck for everyday tasks.

Things such as: Power, towing, MPG, Room for twins in the back seat, comfort in the front for me while driving, handling, etc...

I sure would appreciate any real-world experience or assistance you can give. I look forward to a long relationship if I can find the reason to come over from the darkside...

Bartzie

Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 AM
How are they equiped? Is one more decked out then the other?

My Dad has an 02 SD crewcab (suicide doors) 4x4 V10 XLT w/cloth covered split bench. With rear facing child seats the truck seats have to be pulled pretty far forward. W/ forward facing car seats in back, it isn'tas bad. Also, I don't think the seats are very comfortable.

My Uncle has an 00 2500 Chevy 4x4 extend cab (again, suicide doors). The truck sits lower than my F150, the trailer towing mirrors are terrible to see anything out of, and overall it feels cheap. The seats are better then the SD, but you seem to be sitting down in a hole compared to the Fords. Also, the Chevy doesn't have as much room in the back seat.

Sorry I don't have any info about the diesels

Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
36fan, crewcab with suicide doors? You mean extended cab right? The crewcab has regular doors and requires no pulling of seats up to fit anything anywhere.

All of the chevy and ford trucks are very nice and well built. They are so close that I would go with the better deal money wise. (but if you get the ford I will )

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. They are equipped very similarly. The Chevy is an LT Crew 4x4 while the Ford is a Lariat Crew 4x4. My biggest concern would be the longevity of the D-max vs. the Powerstroke. I appreciate the info and I'll have to make a decision pretty quickly. Thanks again, Bartzie

Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
36fan, crewcab with suicide doors? You mean extended cab right? The crewcab has regular doors and requires no pulling of seats up to fit anything anywhere.

All of the chevy and ford trucks are very nice and well built. They are so close that I would go with the better deal money wise. (but if you get the ford I will )

Adrianspeeder
My apologies, it was getting late and I miss typed. It is a supercab, not crew cab.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't know about the 02s, but a guy I used to work with Dad had an 04 or 05 Duramax and didn't like the Allison tranny with it. He said unloaded it jerked and shifted hard, but loaded down it was smooth and shifted like it should all the time.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:02 PM
i too have heard some issues with the Allison in his GMC diesel. Had to have it fixed two times under warranty.

while working in a service shop in a highly GM part of the world, surprisingly ii heard a TON of positives on how well the PS pulls trailers.

if i were you, i'd go with the PS, unless the price is a lot different.

Last edited by kars85; 06-23-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2005, 03:32 PM
From what i have heard/read about the Duramax is that the engine is great, the allison trans, is one heavy duty tranny, but the GM truck quality is poor!
To me, i want a truck that with 150k miles on it, is still quiet inside doesn't creek and rattle all the time, etc.
Having only owned Ford trucks i cant tell you much about the GM truck. But i have absolutly loved all my Ford trucks i have owned, and really loved both Powerstrokes i have owned, my 96 was great, towed great got 15 mpg empty on the highway and around 10-12 while towing our 9000lb camper.
Then i sold it and got an 02 Crew cab F-250 PSD and it is all that and more!
it gets 17-19 mpg empty and 10-12 also while towing.
I love the 7.3 and wouldn't own anything else. But thats just my opinion.
BTW i just put a Bullydog chip in it and WOW what an eye opener that was! the 50 HP setting made a huge diff in towing!
And the 100 hp setting is just plain fun.
I raced my buddy in his stock 92 Mustang GT and hung with him for prob 2/3 of a quarter mile track!
Thats what i call fun!

Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, guys...I think that you've just recruited another into the fold. I've found the one I'm looking for and I think that barring any problems with the dealer (small town folks) we should be able to get it parked in my driveway before too long. I actually rode in the Chevy I was asking about this weekend, and although the steering, suspension, and ride were quite nice, I just wanted a little more. I think that the PS is where I'm going.

Thanks again for your assistance, and I will be sure to ask you guys questions in the future.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needing Info 01-03 SD PS