F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Wiring roof lights....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring roof lights....

Hi everybody,

Just got a quick question. My uncle recently bought a 2000 f-250 and wants to put those little orange roof lights on. My question is, how do I wire them to turn on with the headlamp switch? Any help would be very appreciated. I have no idea what wire or where to tap into.

Thanks,

Luis S

Old 06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
You can buy the harness from Ford. I put cab lights on 2 2005s and the plug in for the harness was inside the passenger side kick panel. They are wired into the park lights.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for your help. He keeps bugging me so I want to hurry and give hime some answers to get him off my back! Would that harness work on a 2000 f-250? And would it work with aftermarket roof lights? Also do you have any part #'s? Let me know...

Thanks again,

Luis S

Old 06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't have any part #s and I'm not sure if a 2000 would be the same. You can make your own harness if you like and just use the wire from the factory plug in the kick panel. The colors should be brown for park light power and black for ground.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info. If there is no wiring harness in the kick panel can I tap right behind the switch on the dash?

Thanks Again,

Luis S

Old 06-06-2005, 11:48 PM
sure, they don't draw much extra current.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Try www.1stfordparts.com for the parts.

Seems like the harness for a truck with an overhead was about $40 or $25 without. Since in my Excursion I don't have the plug in the pass. kick panel, I just used the cheaper harness and ran it backwards down the drivers A pillar. You can run it like it should be.

Total cost for me, delivered, was $61 for the lights and harness. You need to buy nuts for the studes on the lights. I bought self sealing washers and SS lock nuts for a few bucks.

You'll need a 7/8" Greenlee punch to knock out the big hole, then get a step drill bit to drill the 2 holes per light for the mounting studs. You can use a regular bit for the holes, but a step drill will make it sooo much cleaner and well worth it. I used a 3/4" Greenlee punch and had to Dremel the holes slightly so a 7/8" will give you the room to work with.

Measure for 2-3 days, then drill.

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Called him up and passed on the info. Turns out he started without me. :f Good thing is all I have to worry about is the wiring, bad news is he got impatient and went aftermarket. You dont even want to know about the wiring hes done in the meantime. Looks like Ill just have to fix it myself with the info you guys have provided. Thanks again for your help! If I run into any problems Ill post again...

Thanks,

Luis S

Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
I installed some aftermarket lights to my truck and they look and work great. I wired mine directly into the parking light wire and have had no problems. The aftermarket ground themselves so you should not be worried about a ground wire. Just run an inline fuse before wiring into the parking light wire. I suggest you replace the supplied bolts for some nuts and bolts for a more secure iinstall. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Quick Reply: Wiring roof lights....