F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesels practicality

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesels practicality

Been seriously considering buying a diesel F250 but people I ascociate with are telling me diesels arnt good up here in Illinois. Now keep in mind none of them actually own a diesel or have driven one. I was just wondering how well things work out in the winter etc and any problems like that.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Not a problem at all. It need to get damn cold for any problems to arise. Even then you can allways plug the block heater in. Never a problem here.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:07 PM
How cold does it get there? Dosent get that cold here. Mine starts OK at + 28 deg. unheated. Takes a good 5+ mi. to reach normal op. temp. Cab heat takes awhile. Short trips could be hard on the engine & oil. JMO!

As mentioned, block heater is most useful if not parked in heated garage etc. during those real cold times. Alot more oil in that engine. Remember d. aint nothing like a gasser. Takes abit getting used to. They can be quirky? till warmed up

In real cold climates, you may see #1 d. fuel which prevents waxing but also you might see less mpg/less power & maybe less lubricity. Then theres winterized #2 & summertime #2. Prices varies. Can be higher in winter/lower in summer etc.

Usually d. will give better mpg VS gas. But no guarantee. Maint. cost will be alittle more..one being they take more oil & need to be changed on time. If you buy used hi mileage, be careful.

Do you really need one or just want one? Anyhow just some thoughts I had. Look for more updates. Lots of info. out there.

Good luck....OT

Old 07-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Thank you. Well out here it really depends lately winters havnt been all that bad. This last winter I dont think we dropped below 35 until january. When it does decide to get cold it usually goes to maybe 20 or so and then it really drops when the sun goes down.

Im looking into diesels for the miles you can put on them. With 130k on my 6 things are starting to get a little funky. Alot of things are going wrong down there and its been babied all of its life. Never even been used to pull a trailer or gone over 80 mph until recently. Alot of misfiring, irratic idleing, bouts of extreme roughness, loss of power.

I put alot of mileage on my truck every week and I rarely ever do short trips. From what ive heard a diesel and a stick shift are practicly bullet proof if you do it right.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Diesels practicality