Expedition / Navigator

New transplant from the Lightning forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New transplant from the Lightning forum

I just sold my lightning and bought a Navigator so I guess I'll be asking questions over here for awhile. My first question is why is the air intake tube so small. It cant be any bigger than 2". It looks like to me there is quite a bit of power to be made improving the intake side of these vehicles. I also took the airbox apart and noticed that it had a 80mm mass air like the 99/00 lightnings. I also noticed that the throttle body looks like it is interchangable with the single bore used on the lightnings. Has anyone done these type of mods and what were the gains. Thanks, Mike

Old 12-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Welcome mbrown. What year Navigator did you get? Definitely a different ride than a Lightning, but it's tough to beat the luxury of a Navigator. You'll find things a little calmer over here as the testosterone levels aren't quit as high as the Lightning forum. Good luck in your new purchase and enjoy it.

Old 12-16-2002, 04:58 PM
It was a loaded 99 w/ the 32 valve 5.4. It was my boss', and he is single w/ no kids so the thing is spotless.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:39 PM
mbrown,
good luck w/ the gator, I'm sure you will love it, but i'm sure your gona miss that blower whine. Anyway, like Navi Man said, these boards move ALOT slower than the L boards. I usually visit the L forums 3-5 times a day and still proballly only read about half the topics/posts. Please dont let this discourage you. Usually if you have any questions us Expy/Gator people jump right in if we have any helpful feedback. About the intake, yes it is small. Several people have installed FIPK systems and I remember even reading about someone or maybe a couple of people that cut bigger holes on the inside of the fender for greater airflow, but i cant remember who has done that, hopefully they will chime in. About the throttle body, again, i think i remeber reading about other upgrading this. Maybe try the search function. Finally, we all appreciate seeing modded Expeditions and Navigators, so if you make mods, please fill us in! Have fun, later

Old 12-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Thanks Alan, and your right, this board is sssslllloooowwww. I tried a search and came up with nothing. I'm probably going to cut the bigger hole (same thing is done with the lightnings) and make my own system. I saw a nice looking one on ebay for under $100 but I dont really like doing business there anymore due to the crooks. Btw, does anyone know anymore sites w/ Navigators? Thanks, Mike

Old 12-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by mbrown
Thanks Alan, and your right, this board is sssslllloooowwww. I tried a search and came up with nothing. I'm probably going to cut the bigger hole (same thing is done with the lightnings) and make my own system. I saw a nice looking one on ebay for under $100 but I dont really like doing business there anymore due to the crooks. Btw, does anyone know anymore sites w/ Navigators? Thanks, Mike
Yea, there is another Expedition/Navigator/F150 site, but you probally already know it..... http://www.fordtruckworld.com there are some REALLY nice trucks over there, with the exception of the L forums, their forums have alot more traffic, for some reason though this site has the main L traffic. One more thing, on fordtruckworld.com there are actually two different forums for the expy and gator, but there is allot more traffic on the expy boards, and allot of nice trucks. You might also want to check out www.suvworld.com, but that site is not specific to any one make or model. Finally, you might also want to check out the supercrew forums of both sites (f150online.com and fordtruckworld.com). Most of the mechanics between the s-crew/expedition/navigator are the same, so you can get some decent info here. One more thing, here is a list of people from this site that might be of interest to you, check out their gallerys and/or posts: ScottyBones, skyhook8, 00expo, FamilyRide. Good luck.

Last edited by AlanM96SS; 12-18-2002 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the help Alan. I'll definately check those sites out. Mike

Quick Reply: New transplant from the Lightning forum