Expedition / Navigator

Replacing Stock Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Stock Subwoofer

I am picking up my 00 expy tommorow and I was wondering has anyone replace the stock sub with something with a little more bump! I was told there is a sub in the vechile, but I will be damned if I could find it!

Also wondering about the Mach Audio setup, does this need to be replace or is it somewhat decent?

Old 07-16-2002, 10:17 AM
If you have the EB model or the mach option in the xlt, then you have a sub in the passenger side behind the 3rd seat. You'll see a grill cover there. If there is a small storage compartment instead then you do not have the mach system. Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 AM
It is the Mach system but I have not heard it yet and would like to know if I can replace this sub with a more powerful sub?

Old 07-16-2002, 12:27 PM
There are many options available to you, it just depends on what you want to spend. The factory sub is ok, but not exactly hi fidelity. An upgrade in the sub would definitely improve the sounds. You will need to change the factory sub amp though, as it won't work adequately with an aftermarket sub woofer

1) JL Vantage box will fit into exact location and you can choose any 10" sub made for a .66 cubic ft. enclosure

2) JL Stealthbox- same as vantage box, but comes with a very nice 10w-6 sub. A little pricey.

3) MTX Thunderfiorm- comes in 3 flavors : without sub, with sub included and with sub and amp included. For simplicity the powered Thunderform is an easy upgrade

4) Custom made box to fit into the stock location. Most good shops can accomodate this and it would be the best box as they will make this out of fiberglass. You can choose the sub of your choice and may be able to even fit a 12" sub in there.

If you are going to be changing headunits, amps and factory speakers, then your budget and imagination are your limit. Find a reputable shop and discuss it with them. The factory system with an upgraded sub may be all you will want, but don't expect killer sound.

Old 07-16-2002, 02:40 PM
All those sound like excellent options, I dont know how well the wife will enjoy riding in it after I am all done! She hates riding in my Blazer that I have setup to bump!

Anyone with the Mach audio ... What would be the first thing to change? Sub,amp,speakers,HU ( would love a DVD HU )

That brings me to another question ... Who has installed a DVD player up front? What prices am I looking at?

Old 07-16-2002, 03:54 PM
I would go with a stand alone dvd if the viewing is going to be for the back seats only. As I am a little familiar with Clarion, they do make a stand alone unit that can be mounted in the front console. It will work with any manufacturers displays. For our kids the Clarion easy fit works great. Looks factory, actually better than factory. Next time I'll mount the screens in the headrests, that way the kids can view two different things at once.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Have the "Premium" system

It's Premium in name only.

It sounds waaaaaaaay better than the stock system in my SuperCrew, but I have plans for that.

I'm going to have a custom box built and placed under the rear seat in my SuperCrew, with 2-12's and 2-Amps. One to power the two 12's, and one to power the 4 door speakers. I'm also getting a 25W head unit and equalizer with CD-Changer controls. The speakers will either be Sony X-Plods or Rockford Fosgates.

Since my wife drives my Expy more than her truck, I may as well have the bump in the truck.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Personally, i like bass, but dont want to be one of those thumpers that youi can hear several blocks away.
if you have the mach system, turn the DSP off (normally set in Jazz Club mode) and the bass out of the factory sub increases dramatically.
If you go for a better sub with a different amp, in my opinion, you should swap out the whole deal, because you will need better speakers in the front for high end clarity with the new mud maker in the back.

just my .02.
Greg

Old 07-17-2002, 09:59 AM
MHMCGILL ... What Clarion unit are you talking about? I looked on their webpage and couldnt find it. Can I hook up the xbox to it?

Old 07-17-2002, 10:30 AM
If you want to hook up an X box, go with.....

Try this setup.

I had a ton of problems with my truck. I did not get the TV and VCP in the truck when I bought it. I wanted it added. I thought they would go with the normal factory install stuff. I got much better.

I have this installed with a VCR (yes R) in the truck. The VCR is mounted to the top of the truck instead of in the console (At first I did not like this, but there are some advantages, and now I like it much better). This set up come with a tuner and antenna (so I can watch TV as well as tapes). Also, a remote. As well, it has 3 RCA Jacks on the front of the player. I can add th X-Box and play games as well as DVDS with no problem.

There is one other advantage to this set up. The screen is mounted so that when it is closed, you are looking at the screen itself as opposed to the back of the display. When driving and stuck at a Train Crossing or in lots of traffic, I can turn the system on and watch TV. If I get pulled over by a cop, the system is in a position that he will not give me a ticket as I cannot see it from a driving position (have to lay the seat back to see tv).

I am sure there are more expensive setups out there that are cleaner installs and look better, but for function and for ease of use, I say go with this setup. I have had no problems, the TV is good quality and I was able to mount a TV, not reroute my rear AC vents, and do this with a sun roof.

Just my $.02

Boxter

Old 07-17-2002, 10:46 AM
That's a good question. When I looked a couple of months ago it was in their catalouge and on ebay. It looks like they replaced it with the six disc stand alone unit. Almost twice the money but it would be nice to be able to store six disks. I use this type of housing. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...AVCF3T&o=m&a=0 It fits great and looks awesome. I had a picture of my system stored somewhere on this site at one time. I run the sound through a FM modulator by Clarion. That way everybody can listen or you can plug in the headphones into the jacks that are part of the stock stereo system. The Clarion vcr that I use also has an RCA input on the back so you can plug in a xbox if you want. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Bootsie,

If you give me a budget and an idea of what you want (dvd, replace all speakers, multiple screens etc.) then I would be happy to give you an opinion of what would work nice. We can all make suggestions, but it's your budget that will be the most important. You can do some upgrades for as little as a couple hundred dollars or a full blown sytem of $5000.00 on up

Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 AM
Well I picked up the Expy last night, WOW I cant believe I waited this long to buy one! AWESOME.

Navi Man, I like the sound for stock so I think I might leave that for a while. I have a budget of about $2000 for a A/V setup, I want something that I can play x-box/watch DVD's on while I am at softball tournaments, so I guess it would need to be in the back. I have heard diffrent things about having a screen up front, does anyone know the laws of that? I WOULD LOVE A Touch screen up front and maybe a couple monitors in the headrests, is that asking too much??

Old 07-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Okay, I found this and I think this might be okay for the back ..

Clarion VMA6491
6.4" Color LCD Video Monitor

Save $50! Was $449.95, Now: $399.99
Plus, get a FREE monitor housing!
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...o&i=020VMA6491

But where would I put the DVD player? Under the seat?

Old 07-18-2002, 09:01 AM
Opps One more question ... How would I hook this up for sound?

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Subwoofer