Expedition / Navigator

I hear sound like keys jingling underneath

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear sound like keys jingling underneath

This is crazy. I have an 00 Expedition 4x4 5.4 and have started hearing a noise that sounds like keys jingling from under the car. The windows have to be down to hear it. Slow speeds are best so the wind noise is low, and I think it's towards the front half of the car. Speed bumps cause the jingle every time. Has anybody heard this? I can't seem to pinpoint it.

Old 03-07-2002, 09:21 AM
I had the exact same thing on my old expy and it drove me crazy!!! I am not sure if this is correct, but i think i heard someone say that it has something to do with the wheels or tires....i have no idea how they could make that noise. I also heard too that its nothing to worry about, its just something you have to live with.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:19 AM
Post Captive nut cotter pin loose

Pop off your front center caps on each wheel and look at the cotter pin in the center that holds the captive nut from loosening. Chances are it is very loose or easily wiggles. Bend it until it cannot move anymore and the noise should go away.

Old 03-08-2002, 02:20 AM
same thing happened to me the day i picked it up from the dealer. it was the cotter pins under the wheel covers.

Old 03-09-2002, 02:47 AM
Problem SOLVED!

This is the last place I would have looked for the noise. THe cotter pins were, in fact, loose. It seems that if they are not very snug, the metal cup that rides over the hub nut will jingle around.

Thank you all! I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive when it comes to noises from my cars. This one has had my blood pressure up for a couple weeks now.

Quick Reply: I hear sound like keys jingling underneath