Expedition / Navigator

01 5.4 thread insert dropped into cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 5.4 thread insert dropped into cylinder

I have a 2001 5.4l expy and.....

Well i was trying remove a sparkplug with one of those solid thread inserts and it dropped intocylinder #3. I have a timesert kit coming and my hopes are to ream out the spark plug hole and attempt to remove the insert by bringing it up through the plug hole. Of course this is going to be tough and require the insert to be lined up almost perfectly to get it out.
The tools i attempt to use are a magnet that is just small enough to fit into the plug hole, but ffairly powerful. Also plan to use heavy wire with a section of duct tape around the end of it.
I am trying to negate the need to remove the head to get it out and am looking for any other ideas people may have. Will also have a shop vac on hand, but dont know how much help it will be.
Would it be possible to remove the intake and unbolt the head just enough to get it out without removing the timing chain, etc
Thanks

Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Good luck on the magnet idea, if i had to choose the best option (aside from taking off the head) thats the one i would guess would have higher chances of paying off, although i really doubt it will work. Worth a shot tho. is the insert even magnetic tho?

As far as lifting the cylinder head without taking off the chains....no. that wont work. Plus, the head gaskets and bolts are one-time use (tho many have re-used them with no bad side effects).

My advice would be to take off the head the right way, remove the insert that fell, and while the head is off, verify that the head is still usable and able to accept the new timesert. If it is, it will be a lot easier and safer to install the timesert while the head is off the car, that way you dont risk having any of the metal shavings getting left behind.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just went through this problem.

I tried the magnet idea, it didn't work.

Just pull the head, it really isn't that bad if you're mechanically inclined and know how our mod motors are put together.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
sorry i forgot to update this thread

Well I was able to get it out, much to my own surprise. I used a strong flexible magnet just smaller than the plug hole, and a small inspection mirror to see. Took about two and half hours...it went like this.

Recieved my Timesert kit and used the reamer to enlarge the hole and clean it up. After trying all three types of magnets I had purchased ($40!!!!) the only one I felt comfortable using was the heavy flexible one. Laying on an old creeper cushion positioned across the front of the truck and using a small round inspection mirror to see I tried for about an hour to get it out with little progress. I was able to get the insert to start up the hole, but it kept getting hung up. Began discussing the options with the wife of whether to take it to someone or just pull the head and do it myself. Well I decided to give it another go. Rereamed the hole to see if I could get it cleaned up better. Was able to get the insert alighned with the hole, but once again it would hang up. So I started to turn the magnet attempting to see if the insert would thread out. Kept doing this and thought it looked like it was coming out, I pushed down on the magent and it didnt move!!! The insert was actually coming out...kept turning and turning....heart was pounding harder and harder with each thread that I saw come out of the hole. When it came completly out I almost rolled of the front of the truck I was so excited and shocked that I was actualy able to get it out .

I then proceeded to finish the timersert fix and the next morning finished putting everything back together and fired it up. Ran great.

So thanks to all of the suggestions and help guys.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucky you!

That's awesome to hear

Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
wow, very lucky. kind of amazed the magnet worked

Quick Reply: 01 5.4 thread insert dropped into cylinder