Expedition / Navigator

Backup Camera in the Rearview Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Backup Camera in the Rearview Mirror Question

What kind of input does that little LCD screen take?

I'm hoping it's a normal RCA input.

I plan on removing this mirror and installing it into my Mustang. Then installing a backup camera into my Mustang trunklid keyhole. I got my hands on a brand new Taurus auto-dim mirror to replace the Expy one.
camera will be similar to this backup camera on eBay

thx guys

Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford uses 2 wires plus a shield wire to control the lcd screen. There is no rca input for the mirror or the camera.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering where the signal feed from the camera goes.

Does it go directly to the camera in the mirror or does it go though the computer first?

I ask this becasue I added the sync Nav head unit to my Expedition and everything is working and was a simple plug and play sort of deal, except the camera still displays in the mirror while the Nav screen goes blank every time I put it in reverse.

I was wondering if a dealer could simply tell the computer to send the signal to the sync Nav instead of the mirror, or better yet keep both working?

Or would wires have to be pulled down out of the headliner away from the mirror and rerouted up under the dash to the sync nav?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mbarbera
ford uses 2 wires plus a shield wire to control the lcd screen. There is no rca input for the mirror or the camera.
That does not mean it isn't standard NTSC composite video. I'd be surprised if it wasn't - adopting another non-standard approach would make no sense.

2 wires + shield = 1x1v p-p NTSC composite video; 1 DC input; combined ground....

I'd be more concerned about the DC voltage the thing accepts.

SScully's probably got a schematic

Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who is SScully?

I've got the OEM factory Repair DVD. I'm more of a visual person though. And I know that electronics don't always play nice with each other.

I'm really hoping the OEM camera will play nice with the JVC unit. That way I can scavenge the OEM mirror for my Mustang

Quick Reply: Backup Camera in the Rearview Mirror Question